Hacking Discussion Team Xecuter Attempted to Bribe RetroNX Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
A random user who's been here 16 years...
16 years of relatively low activity. That means jackshit. It tells nothing about his history. If he were a well known member of some team this would be a different story. But he is just a random user on a forum like me and you.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
16 years of relatively low activity. That means jackshit. It tells nothing about his history. If he were a well known member of some team this would be a different story. But he is just a random user on a forum like me and you.
he's connected well enough to have access to the chat logs. Also quality over quantity.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How much IS enough in this profession? (legit question).
It varies a lot depending upon how you want to look at things and how you want them done.

For instance a "just graduated Java school" type would be very different to a big swinging dick type that can handle some of the nastiest types of code around, however even they might pale against someone with "legacy skills" -- a few years back if you knew COBOL then you would have seen jobs going for mega money as it turned out nobody has learned it in about 30 years and all of a sudden those that know it started retiring. However there was still lots of code out there which formed the lynch pin of someone's business, so much so that taking 4 months out to rewrite it was impossible and thus people got dragged out of retirement. A lesser version of this can be seen with old types of C code, typically something called K&R C (you might have seen things like C99, C11, C18 referring to various standards used, this would be the thing that happened before those arose).
It can also depend upon the industry you are in -- some of the things game coders do would get them paid twice as much if they worked for some big financial firm. However as game development is seen as an attractive field then salaries are kept down as you will always find some kid willing to do the job for less.
Similarly different countries represent different things – someone in deepest, darkest San Francisco probably will demand more than someone from India or maybe Vietnam (both of which have fairly high level computing skills in their populations). https://www.indeed.com/q-Computer-Programmer-l-Seattle,-WA-jobs.html for Washington state (Microsoft makes their home here). Varies from $50K per year to over $100000 in that link.

For a start though then find the annual salary for the level of coder you reckon you will need. Divide by 12 for months and then add a bit; a professional salary includes holidays, sick pay, pension contributions, job assurances and so forth, doing contract work has none of those so the people get to charge a bit more to account for that. This would be more for a custom build for your internal use.

There are many other models though. If someone gets to remain open it changes things a lot, and it can also depend upon the size of a project. If I went to some small document writing application tomorrow and said $10000 to do mail merge as I want it and you can still release it open source then they would probably do it as said $10000 would probably represent hosting and such for the next decade. $10000 for a business is nothing a lot of the time and probably less than what it would cost to hire in some normal coders to handle it.
If you look at wordpress plugins many will have fairly nice functionality gated off behind a paywall and offers for basic work to be done or installs to be handled for a small sum.

Sometimes you get the retired coder effect, or CV builder effect where people just appreciate the perk and can do it at weekends and in the evenings.

Riptide

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol, what do you gain from supporting this company? This is just plain sad, I had never expected that such a childish behaviour like yours would be the norm.
What about requiring proof before getting out a pitchfork is childish exactly? Please do explain, I'm all ears.
You might want to go back and read my posts again..

Last edited by Riptide,
Reactions: DarthDub

man_of_power05

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
proof? sorry but a tweet saying they did that is not good enough. are there chat logs? unless this was discussed in person, which is impossible, there would be chat logs. i'm not believing anything without proof.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
he's connected well enough to have access to the chat logs if true what he says. Also quality over quantity.
I corrected that for you. You gain credibility by participating regularly so people will know you. Not from a number/date. If i create an account now and wait 16 years that doesn't make me any more credible.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States

If you were around for the PSX, PS2, PS3 or Wii scenes you'd probably know who I was. I retired in 2011.

comput3rus3r

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I corrected that for you. You gain credibility by participating regularly so people will know you. Not from a number/date. If i create an account now and wait 16 years that doesn't make me any more credible.
most people mature and act accordingly in 16 years. So if you're saying that in 16 years you're not going to be any more credible than you are right now then I'd have to believe you.

r5xscn

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To those asking for proof, try asking TX instead. A team of developer published this news (see page 1, I assume it's from twitter, here let me link it again) and there is not even a response from TX (maybe it's true)? As for me, if TX did not deny this then this is correct (I assume this is the same for the "most" of us here. If this is incorrect, TX would deny this right? Or maybe letting their fanboys to deny this is a better strategy?

Also TX, a lot of developers have claimed TX " is stealing" the open source CFW's code, why don't you just "steal" RetroArch code like what you did to other code? They have some programmers that are competent enough to retrofit this into their software right? Or don't they? Is it cheaper to pay 6k than hiring competent developers?

Edit: Whoops it seems RetroArch is not an open source project, my bad. But yeah, 6k is much cheaper than developing things from the ground.

Last edited by r5xscn,
Reactions: The14thfly

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
@xiaNaix
Yes, i don't know you. Still waiting that you disproove what m4xw posted though

@comput3rus3r
Right, i should move on now instead of arguing with someone who doesn't aknowledge the proof out there so far. If the other side disprooves it i will happily eat my words.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
@xiaNaix
Yes, i don't know you. Still waiting that you disproove what m4xw posted though

Disprove what? The snippet of chatlog he posted doesn't contain anything that proves any "bribe" to begin with. Let's look at it a paragraph at a time...

Can you maybe expand a bit on what the current status of your retroARCH port is?
I understand you are ambitious to write a custom UI for reotroARCH from scratch,
but from a time-efficiency point of view this would set us back quite some months.
This also goes for porting Qt etc. to switch. They would be nice *future* goals
but for now we are mostly interested in getting an emulator frontend integrated ASAP.

Team Xecuter is asking him what the status of his port is and letting him know that writing a UI from scratch is very time consuming. Since they already have a UI in SX OS it would be easier for both sides to just use what's already there.

You can either provide us with source code or an NRO and we will take care of the
actual integration into TX menu. Right now it seems easiest to me if we have some
button or menu inside our TX menu that will bring up the retroARCH frontend, and a
way to go back to TX menu from the retroARCH frontend.

They are asking him for either his source code or the NRO and they will take care of adding integration with the menu. They mention having a button (not building the code into SX OS itself) that will launch the NRO as the easiest possible solution.

The user interface, user experience and rom folder structure should be consistent.
Everything needs to be branded with Team Xecuter of course, please let us know
what graphics assets you need. (type of asset, limitations, dimensions, mockup UI screenshots)

They are telling him that they want to maintain the current user experience and rom folder structure. In other words, all they are asking for is the currently available RetroNX app but with TX branding that they can launch from their own built-in menu.

Nothing in the quotes he provided or in the chatlogs I've seen show anything about a "bribe" or an attempt to make the application exclusive to SX OS. They just wanted it branded it with their logo and the ability to launch it from SX OS, maybe incorporating the romlist in the OS as well so you could just pick a game it would launch the emulator. I don't see anything nefarious about that. Maybe you see it differently.

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At this point why doesn't tx just rebrand? Take the xci mounter and just rename everything.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Disprove what? The snippet of chatlog he posted doesn't contain anything that proves any "bribe" to begin with. Let's look at it a paragraph at a time...

Team Xecuter is asking him what the status of his port is and letting him know that writing a UI from scratch is very time consuming. Since they already have a UI in SX OS it would be easier for both sides to just use what's already there.

They are asking him for either his source code or the NRO and they will take care of adding integration with the menu. They mention having a button (not building the code into SX OS itself) that will launch the NRO as the easiest possible solution.

They are telling him that they want to maintain the current user experience and rom folder structure. In other words, all they are asking for is the currently available RetroNX app but with TX branding that they can launch from their own built-in menu.

Nothing in the quotes he provided or in the chatlogs I've seen show anything about a "bribe" or an attempt to make the application exclusive to SX OS. They just wanted it branded it with their logo and the ability to launch it from SX OS, maybe incorporating the romlist in the OS as well so you could just pick a game it would launch the emulator. I don't see anything nefarious about that. Maybe you see it differently.
I agree with this break down you seem on point

Reactions: Subtle Demise

midstor

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They offered him over $6,000 to make the OpenGL-Enabled builds exclusive to SX OS. How is it not a bribe to offer money to a trusted member of the scene in order to influence them into moving a completely open-source project exclusively onto a closed-source trash software?
That's how business works not bribing.

Chocola

GBAtemp Meowgular
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
I don't know why all are impressed of their try to violate the GPLv3 license of RetroArch, they violate first the licenses of reswitched, hekate and atmosphere... nothing new on the front

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty :creep: +1