Flycast's Switch core is now available from RetroArch's official buildbot

switch_istolethisimagefromm4xwlul.jpg

It's been teased, it took the scene by surprise and now it's finally here: Flycast's Switch core has just been added to RetroArch's official buildbot! In case it's the first time you hear about it, Flycast is a Sega Dreamcast and NAOMI emulator made by flyinghead which initially began as a reicast fork, then later would become known for being the first to run Windows CE-based games on Android. Flycast has seen a good number of developments recently: not only it received various performance improvements, but it became stable enough to merge its two separate libretro cores into one - which in turn marks another first on its own, as it's currently the only open-source Dreamcast emulator to offer WinCE support in its master branch. Right after this happened, Mats (a developer already known for working on Xash3D for the Switch) started to port the new unified core to Nintendo's latest console, and then @m4xw also stepped in to fix its 64-bit ARM dynamic recompiler & texture invalidation feature. Thanks to it, many games are completely playable and run at full speed!

Since then, some preliminary builds had been shared around both to give followers an idea of what to expect in the future and also to make up for some issues related to libretro's buildbot. However, you can now download Flycast's all-new Switch core right from RetroArch's built-in updater! All you need to do is to get into the Online Updater, then Core Updater and select "Sega - Dreamcast/NAOMI (Flycast)". The build should be stable enough to be fine for most users, but it still needs some code revisions which may impact performance or reliability. If you're a SX OS user, however, there are some bad news for you: the core is inadvertently incompatible with the aforementioned CFW, so it will not work until TX fixes the issue. Atmosphère is currently the only officially supported custom firmware.

:arrow: Source

Last edited by RattletraPM,

fate6

Haha, I killed a Pumpkin!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My console is banned, so DNS server blocking and a working emunand are useless for me. I tried a couple of external HDD's with SX OS and both of those didn't work. I install my NSP's by taking the microSD card out of the console, so the NSP Installer is useless for me as well :)

Well in your case it should be a simple swap of files and pushing the payload of choice for Atmo, Make sure to grab sig patches and everything will just work.

D

Deleted User

That’s not what I was referring to I’m very aware of what the thread is about, it’s the fact how many members refer to sxos xci loading as it’s only option!
SxOs-----------Atmosphere
xci loading------Full memory access with homebrew
usb loading-----Reboot to payload both at will and on crash

Both have means to block data being tracked, both have means to run nsps. Both have means to install xcis into a installable format. There's no other features that I'm aware that sx os has that is unique to it compared to atmosphere.

Last edited by ,

Rikua

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just out of curiosity, and I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but, it IS possible to run both SXOS and Atmos on the same microsd right? Im assuming it is as simple as copying the SX/Atmos files onto the SD and selecting the right payload, right?

Condemned87

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The only thing SX OS can do that Atmosphere can't is play .xci formatted games. So changing to Atmosphere won't affect you. It is easy enough to install and ther is a guide for it here:https://switch.homebrew.guide/index

But using NSP Games is dangerous... therefore - in my eyes - SX OS in combination with XCI files is the best solution for not being banned.
If he is already using NSP with SX OS ... go on, try Atmo.

Reactions: Deleted User

gizmomelb

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'm curious as to what the reason SX OS can't run this? Is it related to overclocking the switch for the emulator to run at full speed? LAN access for emulated NIC on the Dreamcast?

EDIT: yes it appears you need to overclock the switch for most games to run at 100% speed on the emulator, according to the tweets.

Last edited by gizmomelb,

wakabayashy

Trophies
Website
www.anime-heart.fr
XP
Country
France
Just out of curiosity, and I'm sure this has been answered a million times, but, it IS possible to run both SXOS and Atmos on the same microsd right? Im assuming it is as simple as copying the SX/Atmos files onto the SD and selecting the right payload, right?

yes, you can put how many cfw you want on sd card

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Current title is click bait. Reads like the Switch got emulation through retroarch
...How so? The title states exactly what's going on: you can now get Flycast's core from RetroArch's own buildbot, their service dedicated to automatic compilation and distribution of libretro/RetroArch binaries & assets. Keep in mind I couldn't just write it got "released" in the title as the current build not only hasn't been PR'd yet and it's not part of a stable RetroArch release but also semi-official builds had already been circulating for a while - that would've been clickbait.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
Current title is click bait. Reads like the Switch got emulation through retroarch
What are you talking about? @m4xw has been working alongside on the main Dreamcast core flycast and he is one of Retroarchs main developers for the libretro team! Get your facts right numpty before you comment.

Last edited by Reecey,

RattletraPM

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Flycast could of been a home brew developer. I certainly never heard of it. And it does say Switch core
The title says "core" because that's how libretro (and by extension RetroArch) calls its plugins. I honestly don't get how that part could've been interpreted as clickbait tho. Even if you don't know what a core is in this context and you assume Flycast is a developer, the resulting sentence doesn't seem to make logical sense to me (his Switch core? Of what?) let alone be mistaken for something bigger than it appears to be.

Reactions: Reecey

FanNintendo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Waiting for Yabause core only few good game there like Nights into Dreams and Panzer Dragoon. When Switch life cycle ends all cores and emulators be all fix n smooth.

Reactions: wakabayashy

Josshy0125

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Should also mention that mx-whatever is a tx hater and bans anyone from his discord if they even ask for help and mention they use sx, thrn openly mocks them, claiming how horrible they (the person using, not sx...) are. Hes literal human scum. Talented dev, but absolute worthless piece of shit human. So im not sold that its "inadvertent"...

Last edited by Josshy0125,

m4xw

Ancient Deity
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Should also mention that mx-whatever is a tx hater and bans anyone from his discord if they even ask for help and mention they use sx, thrn openly mocks them, claiming how horrible they (the person using, not sx...) are. Hes literal human scum. Talented dev, but absolute worthless piece of shit human. So im not sold that its "inadvertent"...
518527475450380295.png

BabyRage.
I will never add DRM to my software, but if it doesn't work, it doesn't work.
Not like I can fix their shit anyway without releasing a crack.

I think I was more surprised than you, when the reports came in.
Guess they must have ripped it out, laughs

Btw if I reduce the features to make it work on SX, nearly all textures would be broken and it would be such a bad experience as reicast.
So stick to that if you have to.
Not much would be gained.

Last edited by m4xw,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm