Take apart Gameboy Advance game

Discussion in 'GBA - Console and Game Discussions, Help and Tips' started by thehritzinator, May 23, 2010.

May 23, 2010
  1. thehritzinator
    OP

Member thehritzinator GBAtemp Regular

United States
    is it possible to take apart a Gameboy Advance game and install a different game on it? or is it possible to take apart the game and make a wad for playing on the Wii?

2. Gore

Member Gore GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    ...whaaaaaaat?
    Err no. Not possible. Sorry.

3. mrgone

Member mrgone GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    you have 2 two questions:
    1a. possibly, friend did it on gameboy (mono)
    only works, if the games have the same board, so you only switch a chip
    1b. i have seen a guide on the net for building a snes module with secret of mana 2 (seiken densetsu 3) on it: it involved flashing eeproms and substituting
    so my answer for 1 is: possibly, but it's really hard

2. i have seen no gba games for vc, so i guess not

4. Overman1977

Member Overman1977 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I'd have to agree ^

5. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    It is possible but it is a lot of work. You'd be better off buying a flash cart. Probably cheaper too.

What is involved though. Well first of all you'd have to desolder the mask ROM chip (the IC that contains the game) and then you'd have to solder a flashRAM chip in its place and you'd also need a custom programmer that could interface with the GBA port on the cart and also would be able to program the chip through the circuitry that is there.

You'd end up having to build a flashRAM chip onto the cart and also would have to build a programmer. I've done it before with GB/GBC, but I haven't heard of anyone making one from scratch for GBA.

Or I guess you could use an eeprom programmer and program an eeprom and solder it right onto where the mask ROM was. But I dunno why anyone would want to do either of these two things. It'd waste a lot of time.

6. GreatCrippler

Member GreatCrippler Greatness Fallen

United States
    ^ This... Everyone ignore the fact that this is way over my head... But I wish I could do these things.

7. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    To put another game on a legit cart looks like this, requires LOTS of soldering and knowhow to program a chip:
    [​IMG]

As for the Wad files, NO need to, someone already made emulators for the wii. Currently Wii doesn't do GBA in the virtual console. You should be asking in the wii section for that.

It is faster to just buy a real game or a flashcart to play games on like the EZ-Flash IV, and your assured to be able to play games.