4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yes, thats true. Japanese kingstons are no longer in production, so you'd only expect to find them in small stores/small online stores.

pitprop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The Japanese Kingstons were Toshiba cards anyway.
So if you want one then go for a Toshiba or one of the other brands that are the same card ( Viking and Dane-Elec are two that i know of that are the same Toshiba card).

There are not many micro SD manufacturers so a lot are coming out of the same factory badged for different brands. Though i suppose the more popular the format gets , the more facories will make it.

I wonder if the Taiwan Kingston cards are coming out of the same factory that makes the Sandisc cards ? !!!

Reikon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I just tested my two Kingston cards using the SD adapter and my laptop's SD slot.

Taiwan 1 GB: 4.3 MB/s write, 3 MB/s read
Japan 512 MB: 4.5 MB/s write, 3 MB/s read

I have no idea why writing is faster than reading on them. The results for both seem pretty slow to me. Maybe the adapter is limiting them or my laptop's SD slot sucks.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
I just tested my two Kingston cards using the SD adapter and my laptop's SD slot.

I have no idea why writing is faster than reading on them. The results for both seem pretty slow to me. Maybe the adapter is limiting them or my laptop's SD slot sucks.
The read should definitely be faster. What did you use to test?

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Don't lower capacities usually yield faster results? If so, that test is also accurate.

If not, continue
tongue.gif
:P

Reikon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

The read should definitely be faster. What did you use to test?

I used ATTO.

The number I reported it from the 1 MB chunk read/write. I compared its read speed result with HDTach's and they were almost exactly the same, so I used ATTO to get the write speed since I don't have the paid version of HDTach that has writing tests.

I'm going to try a regular SD card now to see if my laptop's SD slot is a limiting factor since those results seem odd to me.

Update:
I just tested my 2 GB Kingston SD (Japan) card and got very similar results to the microSD cards, so I'm assuming my laptop's SD slot is the limiting factor.

SynGamer

Trophies
Website
syngamer.com
XP
Country
United States
I have a 1 GB Kingston microSD that says it was made in Taiwan (back of microSD) and i got a write speed of 4.46 MB/sec and a read speed of 9.95 MB/sec. Total length of transfer was 4 MB

furyoo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmph, mine is apparently Made In Japan.

Random Access: 0.9ms.

Average Read: 4.5 mb/s.

Ouch. Time to get a better card reader.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Manual charging