Taiwan-made Kingston cards

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by 4saken, Jan 9, 2007.

Jan 9, 2007

Taiwan-made Kingston cards by 4saken at 10:22 AM (3,076 Views / 0 Likes) 32 replies

1. 4saken
    OP

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    Hi everyone ^^

I would like to have something cleared up in my mind. Recently I purchased a microSD card off a reputed Ebayer. I checked the images on his auction, and they clearly were of Japan manufacturing. However, after receiving the goods, to my dismay, the card was Taiwan made. Now, after reading the reply below (note that the business is an official Kingston distributor), I would like the know the truth behind these two cards. What makes them different?

Right now, I am writing this with extreme regret in my mind. Since I have not received my R4 I am yet to test performance, however I not expecting much good. Has anyone tested a Taiwan microSD on their R4?

2. Devante

Member Devante Crescent fresh at best.

United States
    I have a Kingston MicroSD 1GB (Taiwan ) and it works flawlessly.

Even the Castlevania intros are perfect.
    (ok well there is one slight jitter during Dawn of Sorrow intro, but it is very quick)

I've tried all the "problem games" and none have any of their respective issues. MP3's and DPG's (movies) play great using the latest Moonshell version.

This is all on an R4, by the way.

3. False Hope

Newcomer False Hope Advanced Member

Lol you see how they say you're the second person to say that? I was the first to e-mail them about it, lol.

4. peter_porker

Newcomer peter_porker Member

Canada
    with hdtach (shareware app), you can test the speed of the microsd card with your pc. My kingston (made in tawain) gives me 4.1mb/sec read i think, pretty slow imo

5. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Eh, well I'm also getting an R4, and I've read heaps about all flashcards being bitchy with Taiwan-made. I've actually just ordered another 1gig kingston (50 AUD [​IMG] - 15 more dollars than this taiwan), so I'll be posting some speed related results later on.

6. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    kingston japan microsd: 4.7MB/s and 0.6ms

Most of the cards here are japan ones.
    I always buy 25 cards at once and i only got 2 taiwain cards in the package and they are indeed slower.

7. jocka

Newcomer jocka Member

Germany
    Does kingston produce their own flashcarts, or just outsourced them (buying bulkware and let label them as kingston)?

i have heard the japan 1gb kingston should be OEMs of PNY?

8. dodly

Newcomer dodly Member

Australia
    Hey which user did you buy it from on ebay? I just bought one on ebay too and I hope it isn't a Taiwan one either. On the pictures for the ebay list it said ASSEM IN JAPAN.
    I better get a Japan made one or else!

9. AeroZeppelin

Newcomer AeroZeppelin Member

United States
    I also have a 512mb Kingston microSD and so far, it has no problems at all. I don't have any other cards to test it with though, but I'm 100% happy with it [​IMG]

10. dodly

Newcomer dodly Member

Australia
    Give em Negative Feedback and report them to ebay.

On the auction I bought it said ASSEM IN JAPAN, and when my MicroSD comes and its not made in japan theres gonna be hell to pay.

Again What sell did you buy from?

11. False Hope

Yeah, youre right..on that I just dont understand why they dont even stick with their Japan Made ones, if theyre know its better.

12. False Hope

Yeah, youre right..on that I just dont understand why they dont even stick with their Japan Made ones, if they know its better.

13. False Hope

Meh, I think its best to just stick with Kingmax or PNY.

14. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    The seller on eBay was (I don't want anybody to flame him or stuff - just to be cautious) AVPOWERxxx (Where xxx are 3 number digits - I forgot).

The Taiwan ones are slower for sure (still waiting for my Japan to come before testing). I'm quite sure Kingston is starting to outsource all its products to the cheaper Taiwanese market - this was implied in the email.

15. Hellice

Newcomer Hellice Member

Kazakhstan
    According to HD Tach's test, my A-Data (made in Taiwan) runs at:

Average Read 10.5MB/s

o_o

I still lock up randomy in Castlevania POR

16. jelbo

Member jelbo Ōkami!

Netherlands
    10,5MB? Both my Sandisk 512MB and 1GB Ultra II are around 5,3/5,4MB average read using an USB2 Hama 35in1 card reader... Are my MicroSD's very slow or is it the USB speed limit? [​IMG]

17. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    I'm quite sure that test is inaccurate as the type of reader needs to be controlled.

18. False Hope

Agreed with the above. Your results means nothing unless the reader is controlled. Everyone has different computers, readers, and all that. Alot of factors, unless you got the right equipment, that data remains incorrect. According to ADATA themselves, they said that the R/W is at 7MB(MAX)/2MB(MAX)for the 2GB MicroSD, specifically. Usually, with MicroSD cards the smaller the capacity, the more stable and somewhat faster there are.

19. 4saken
    OP

Australia
    Okay this is shit. I have a feeling the expensive Kingston I bought was just a fake. The card itself looks original, but the packaging is in Chinese. Perhaps the packaging is of the Chinese retail. This was off Ebay btw, a guy with 100% feedback.

Eh still need my R4 before I can test it. I also sold my DS Lite for a new DS Lite, so I'll need to buy that too :X

20. False Hope

Cross your finger and hope its japanese, I emailed a seller on ebay, this is his reply:

This seller is: Hitech Market (Stay away from this guy if you want japanese kingstons only.)

Seems like Kingston really stopped production in Japan, cheap bastards.