Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi everyone ^^

I would like to have something cleared up in my mind. Recently I purchased a microSD card off a reputed Ebayer. I checked the images on his auction, and they clearly were of Japan manufacturing. However, after receiving the goods, to my dismay, the card was Taiwan made. Now, after reading the reply below (note that the business is an official Kingston distributor), I would like the know the truth behind these two cards. What makes them different?

QUOTE said:
Dear Customer,

In order to let us know what was the previous message, pls use "reply to this email".

We noticed you have heard that the Taiwan made microsd are inferior. We would not agree. This is a semiconductor which is completely different from other household electronics like a microwave oven. Taiwan is highly reputated in this industry. If you ask where it is made, you are indeed asking hundreds of questions like where the wafer of every single component inside was made in....
and where the epoxy is from....and etc..

Unlike other small or unknown brand, Kingston will never emphasized where their products are made and thus neither shall we. Kingston need not to do it and that is meaningless.
All production from lines around the world will strictly conform to their standards and products will not be out of spec. More important, it is still Kingston and have a lifetime warranty.

Since you are the second one asking the same question, we started to look at our stock lot yestereday. We found around 10 days ago both 512mb and 1gb microsd are a mixture of both taiwan and japan. And on last Friday's lot, 512mb and 1gb are purely taiwan. Obviously Kingston has swapped most of the processes to Taiwan and we don't think we will receive a japan made microsd anymore. Up to now, not clarified yet. Therefore we cannot give you an exchange either.

After carefully judged, we regret to inform you that in this case, we cannot give you a refund nor can we accept your return. The reasons are that:

1) Card are not defected.
2) It is still a genuine Kingston and have lifetime warranty in australia.
3) we never mentioned or emphasized it was made in Japan in the description because it is completely not a selling point for a semiconductor. We are not selling a microwave oven...
4) about the photoes - we don't even notice the change but even if we realized the mixture of taiwan and japan made, we will not change the photoes. What can we change to?
5) It is not an serious offense of "item not as described"

However, being an honest dealer of Kingston, what we can do is :
1) Within the first year, if the card is defected, you can send it back to us for warranty. Kingston will come collect it for maintenance. After this period, you will need to send it yourself.

2) When sending it back, you must have the blister, the paper card inside with a warranty label on it, the card holder, the sd adapter and the microsd card. Our brown enevlope is not needed.

P.S. Tell you a little secret of Kingston's warranty service:-
  Since these cards are so tiny and compact, once the cards are defected, they can never be repaired or fixed. So how can the warranty be done? According to our past experience of two mmc mobile cards, Kingston will come collect it, and then just send a new replacement to us within a few days... You may notice that how confident they are. Hope you will not tell everyone about this, we don't want to do too much paper works.

Welcome to contact us again anytime.

Regards

Right now, I am writing this with extreme regret in my mind. Since I have not received my R4 I am yet to test performance, however I not expecting much good. Has anyone tested a Taiwan microSD on their R4?

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Kingston MicroSD 1GB (Taiwan ) and it works flawlessly.

Even the Castlevania intros are perfect.
(ok well there is one slight jitter during Dawn of Sorrow intro, but it is very quick)

I've tried all the "problem games" and none have any of their respective issues. MP3's and DPG's (movies) play great using the latest Moonshell version.

This is all on an R4, by the way.

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi everyone ^^

I would like to have something cleared up in my mind. Recently I purchased a microSD card off a reputed Ebayer. I checked the images on his auction, and they clearly were of Japan manufacturing. However, after receiving the goods, to my dismay, the card was Taiwan made. Now, after reading the reply below (note that the business is an official Kingston distributor), I would like the know the truth behind these two cards. What makes them different?

QUOTE said:
Dear Customer,

In order to let us know what was the previous message, pls use "reply to this email".

We noticed you have heard that the Taiwan made microsd are inferior. We would not agree. This is a semiconductor which is completely different from other household electronics like a microwave oven. Taiwan is highly reputated in this industry. If you ask where it is made, you are indeed asking hundreds of questions like where the wafer of every single component inside was made in....
and where the epoxy is from....and etc..

Unlike other small or unknown brand, Kingston will never emphasized where their products are made and thus neither shall we. Kingston need not to do it and that is meaningless.
All production from lines around the world will strictly conform to their standards and products will not be out of spec. More important, it is still Kingston and have a lifetime warranty.

Since you are the second one asking the same question, we started to look at our stock lot yestereday. We found around 10 days ago both 512mb and 1gb microsd are a mixture of both taiwan and japan. And on last Friday's lot, 512mb and 1gb are purely taiwan. Obviously Kingston has swapped most of the processes to Taiwan and we don't think we will receive a japan made microsd anymore. Up to now, not clarified yet. Therefore we cannot give you an exchange either.

After carefully judged, we regret to inform you that in this case, we cannot give you a refund nor can we accept your return. The reasons are that:

1) Card are not defected.
2) It is still a genuine Kingston and have lifetime warranty in australia.
3) we never mentioned or emphasized it was made in Japan in the description because it is completely not a selling point for a semiconductor. We are not selling a microwave oven...
4) about the photoes - we don't even notice the change but even if we realized the mixture of taiwan and japan made, we will not change the photoes. What can we change to?
5) It is not an serious offense of "item not as described"

However, being an honest dealer of Kingston, what we can do is :
1) Within the first year, if the card is defected, you can send it back to us for warranty. Kingston will come collect it for maintenance. After this period, you will need to send it yourself.

2) When sending it back, you must have the blister, the paper card inside with a warranty label on it, the card holder, the sd adapter and the microsd card. Our brown enevlope is not needed.

P.S. Tell you a little secret of Kingston's warranty service:-
  Since these cards are so tiny and compact, once the cards are defected, they can never be repaired or fixed. So how can the warranty be done? According to our past experience of two mmc mobile cards, Kingston will come collect it, and then just send a new replacement to us within a few days... You may notice that how confident they are. Hope you will not tell everyone about this, we don't want to do too much paper works.

Welcome to contact us again anytime.

Regards

Right now, I am writing this with extreme regret in my mind. Since I have not received my R4 I am yet to test performance, however I not expecting much good. Has anyone tested a Taiwan microSD on their R4?

Lol you see how they say you're the second person to say that? I was the first to e-mail them about it, lol.

peter_porker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
with hdtach (shareware app), you can test the speed of the microsd card with your pc. My kingston (made in tawain) gives me 4.1mb/sec read i think, pretty slow imo

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have a Kingston MicroSD 1GB (Taiwan ) and it works flawlessly.

Even the Castlevania intros are perfect.
(ok well there is one slight jitter during Dawn of Sorrow intro, but it is very quick)

I've tried all the "problem games" and none have any of their respective issues. MP3's and DPG's (movies) play great using the latest Moonshell version.

This is all on an R4, by the way.

Eh, well I'm also getting an R4, and I've read heaps about all flashcards being bitchy with Taiwan-made. I've actually just ordered another 1gig kingston (50 AUD
frown.gif
- 15 more dollars than this taiwan), so I'll be posting some speed related results later on.

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
kingston japan microsd: 4.7MB/s and 0.6ms

Most of the cards here are japan ones.
I always buy 25 cards at once and i only got 2 taiwain cards in the package and they are indeed slower.

jocka

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Does kingston produce their own flashcarts, or just outsourced them (buying bulkware and let label them as kingston)?

i have heard the japan 1gb kingston should be OEMs of PNY?

dodly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey which user did you buy it from on ebay? I just bought one on ebay too and I hope it isn't a Taiwan one either. On the pictures for the ebay list it said ASSEM IN JAPAN.
I better get a Japan made one or else!

AeroZeppelin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also have a 512mb Kingston microSD and so far, it has no problems at all. I don't have any other cards to test it with though, but I'm 100% happy with it
yaynds.gif

dodly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Give em Negative Feedback and report them to ebay.

On the auction I bought it said ASSEM IN JAPAN, and when my MicroSD comes and its not made in japan theres gonna be hell to pay.

Again What sell did you buy from?

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope you do realize that that email was complete BS, Taiwan ones are lower quality, and that is exactly what they put up on eBay. They send emails like that just so that you do give them a negative feedback.

Yeah, youre right..on that I just dont understand why they dont even stick with their Japan Made ones, if theyre know its better.

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I hope you do realize that that email was complete BS, Taiwan ones are lower quality, and that is exactly what they put up on eBay. They send emails like that just so that you do give them a negative feedback.

Yeah, youre right..on that I just dont understand why they dont even stick with their Japan Made ones, if they know its better.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The seller on eBay was (I don't want anybody to flame him or stuff - just to be cautious) AVPOWERxxx (Where xxx are 3 number digits - I forgot).

The Taiwan ones are slower for sure (still waiting for my Japan to come before testing). I'm quite sure Kingston is starting to outsource all its products to the cheaper Taiwanese market - this was implied in the email.

Hellice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
According to HD Tach's test, my A-Data (made in Taiwan) runs at:

Average Read 10.5MB/s

o_o

I still lock up randomy in Castlevania POR

jelbo

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
According to HD Tach's test, my A-Data (made in Taiwan) runs at:

Average Read 10.5MB/s

o_o

I still lock up randomy in Castlevania POR
10,5MB? Both my Sandisk 512MB and 1GB Ultra II are around 5,3/5,4MB average read using an USB2 Hama 35in1 card reader... Are my MicroSD's very slow or is it the USB speed limit?
ohmy.gif

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm quite sure that test is inaccurate as the type of reader needs to be controlled.

Agreed with the above. Your results means nothing unless the reader is controlled. Everyone has different computers, readers, and all that. Alot of factors, unless you got the right equipment, that data remains incorrect. According to ADATA themselves, they said that the R/W is at 7MB(MAX)/2MB(MAX)for the 2GB MicroSD, specifically. Usually, with MicroSD cards the smaller the capacity, the more stable and somewhat faster there are.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay this is shit. I have a feeling the expensive Kingston I bought was just a fake. The card itself looks original, but the packaging is in Chinese. Perhaps the packaging is of the Chinese retail. This was off Ebay btw, a guy with 100% feedback.

Eh still need my R4 before I can test it. I also sold my DS Lite for a new DS Lite, so I'll need to buy that too :X

False Hope

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cross your finger and hope its japanese, I emailed a seller on ebay, this is his reply:

This seller is: Hitech Market (Stay away from this guy if you want japanese kingstons only.)

QUOTE said:
Hi,
The Kingston microSD's that I carry are all assembled in Taiwan. I
don't
think that Kingston is doing any manufacturing in Japan these days.Â
They
used to in the past, but not any more.

Seems like Kingston really stopped production in Japan, cheap bastards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.