Hardware Sync button on system doesn't work with HDMI? Wha?

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a new controller the other day (wanted the newer D-pad mainly) but couldn't get it to sync. The sync button on the controller would work just fine, but the one on the system was doing nothing. Even took off the faceplate and used a screwdriver to push the actual button, no dice.

Finally, after a bunch of googling, and all but resigning myself to having to get a play and charge kit (which will sync controllers without the button) I came across one post someplace suggesting that the HDMI connection was to blame. I thought it sounded absurd, but stranger things have happened (like a USB fan preventing me from running an update from a USB drive) so I took out the HDMI and put in a component cable, and sure enough, the sync button started working.

After syncing, I of course went back to HDMI, and the controller stayed synced no problem. But I tried the sync button again, just out of curiosity, and sure enough, it's back to not working. It's not a huge deal, I probably won't ever need to use it again, and it's hardly a burden to swap to component if I do need to for some reason, but I just wonder, what in the world is going on that would make a video cable cause a button to not work. Mainly I'm posting this so if anyone else is having the same issue, they'll know to try syncing without HDMI.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's really really odd.
I'm on the AV cable tho but both me RGH and flashed 360 have no problem syncing controllers on HDMI.
Nor do me mates have issues with that.

Can I ask what type of HDMI cable you where using?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This isnt a one off. I had more or less the same problem a while back. I was one of the people that used to have both the HDMI and the other lead (that used to have the optical extension on the socket) so that I could use HDMI and optical sound at the same time and this caused the sync button on my console to not work as well. Mine would however work with both HDMI and the other lead separately but not together.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I ask what type of HDMI cable you where using?

One from Monoprice.

This isnt a one off. I had more or less the same problem a while back. I was one of the people that used to have both the HDMI and the other lead (that used to have the optical extension on the socket) so that I could use HDMI and optical sound at the same time and this caused the sync button on my console to not work as well. Mine would however work with both HDMI and the other lead separately but not together.

Interesting. I definitely didn't have both hooked up at once, since the casings on the two are too bulky and won't allow both to fit at the same time.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One from Monoprice.

Interesting. I definitely didn't have both hooked up at once, since the casings on the two are too bulky and won't allow both to fit at the same time.

Yeah you had to butcher the casing on the other lead (as in break the plastic mold in half down the seam) to make it fit. But I believe at the time, it was the only solution.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yWIobzBdKc