Govee AI Gaming Sync Box Kit Impressions

GBAtemp Impressions Govee AI Gaming Sync Box Kit.png

Artificial intelligence (AI) technology is abuzz these days, so let’s put it in a… (checks notes)... gaming sync box!? What does the Govee AI Gaming Sync Box Kit have to offer? Let’s find out in this impressions piece!

First off, even if this is a purely cosmetic accessory, it’s not a cheap one. Currently, the Govee AI Gaming Sync Box Kit retails for $235 on the official Govee product page and the following items are included in the kit:

contents.jpg

There are three main components to this sync box kit: a 4.6 ft light strip, two light bars and rectangular sync box. They all bear the expected high-end look and feel of Govee’s products.

The light strip, which is meant to go behind your monitor frame, is easy to apply as it features adhesive tape under its whole perimeter. Govee also included handy clips to add further support and ensure the strip is held in place.

Then there are the two light bars which you place next to your monitor/screen with the illuminated side facing away from you. The power cables to each light bar meet up halfway and end up with a USB-C connection. However, I found the meeting point of the cables to be a bit restrictive as it limits how far apart the bars can be placed from each other.

set up 1.jpg

set up 2.jpg box 1.jpg bars 1.jpg

Once positioned, the USB-C connections of the light strip and light bars need to be plugged into the sync box. The latter serves as a hub of sorts where you’ll also plug in your console/PC and from there relay it to your monitor via an included HDMI cable. While it offers a relatively generous 3 HDMI ports to use the kit with and you can toggle between each with the press of a button, the result is a wirefest. In our already very tangled-up tech lives, having more wires isn’t that welcome. I wish the connections were more streamlined, or even wireless.

wire fest.jpg

lights 1.jpg bars 3.jpg bars 2.jpg

Once set up, you can make use of the Govee AI Gaming Sync Box Kit to add some flashy effects to your gaming sessions. From the get-go the experience is quite striking, with the light strip and light bars synching up with the on-screen colour palette. It works for games, console menus, watching movies or even browsing the web. I found the colour sync to be rather accurate and it definitely delivers a unique touch to my gaming setup.

Regarding the AI tech, it analyses images in real-time and syncs up the lighting effect as it recognises in-game actions such as item use and kills. However, for the touted AI tech to kick in, you’ll need to be playing a compatible title. At the time of writing, the titles are limited to a handful and include Apex Legends, Valorant, Overwatch, and League of Legends.

on 2.jpg

witcher.jpg on 1.jpgon 4.jpg

While Govee says that more compatible titles are coming soon, the current lineup is rather meagre, especially considering the price of this kit. If you’re mostly playing single-player games like myself, then the effect is mostly lighting effects that match the on-screen colours. They are indeed impressive and add a layer of immersion to gaming sessions but it comes at a steep price, especially considering the possibilities of the tech. Having in-game actions for single player titles or, better yet, irrespective of the title played being recognised would further enhance the experience.

I hope Govee opens up its AI Gaming Sync Box Kit to more titles, especially single-player ones so that the technology’s potentials can be fleshed out. As it stands, it can only really be recommended if you play those currently compatible titles and want to make your gaming sessions further immersive. If you play mostly single player games, then this might not be for you and Govee’s other products might be more appropriate.

on 3.jpg on 5.jpg

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people care for being immersed in the content and try finding the best screen for their money, others seem to prefer to have all the RGB shooting into your eyes instead of the RGB that is actually displaying the content that you should want :D

It get's ridiculous when even some gaming monitors decide it's cool to add a damn high brightness RGB crap leds just in front of the monitor's frame LOL.

I know how I would get rich so fast, make a full powerful RGB laser with eye tracking so that when something is super bright it shoots the laser directly into your eyes for pure HDR awesomeness :rofl2:

ClementNerma

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
France
Getting dynamic RGB like this is great for immersion, it's been a selling point of Phillips for a long time with Ambilight.
But the very high cost of this product, plus the need to have a sync box and more cables, plus the limited 'AI', plus the fact you will lose e.g. HDMI 2.2 features when it releases because the sync box will still be in previous HDMI versions, etc. etc. makes it entirely worthless for me.

Reactions: HellaJvke

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Very neat, I’ve always enjoyed lighting that functions as an extension of the screen, but camera-based setups seem janky to me. Having a direct feed via HDMI seems like a better (if more expensive) solution, and I hope it looks as good as you describe it. Might have to look into this kit.

Julie_Pilgrim

Secretly three raccoons in a trench coat
Trophies
Website
zoey-on-github.github.io
XP
Country
United States
damn, the people LOVE this one!
My urine is more useful to the world than this.
Wow! This is worthless!
Some people have far too much money if they're considering buying this.
My urine is more useful to the world than this.
so $235 for a fancy light display that flashes to your guns shooting? yeah fuck off what a waste of $ :rofl2:
Post automatically merged:

as for MY thoughts on this? well this one specifically is really fucking stupid. if there was a cheaper version without the "AI"? ehhhhhhh i already have a setup FILLED with rgb bullshit, i could only see myself using this when i get in that mood where i want to dim the lights and feel like im in a very nerdy rave

ShadF0x

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Don't think it warrants the hate it gets here. It's just a display-agnostic Ambilight\bias lighting, which is neat (except for the price), considering there aren't many PC displays that have such stuff built-in.

Doesn't help that you can DIY with an Arduino or any other MCU (if you use Windows PC) or an SBC like RPi4 (assuming you use anything but Windows PC).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end