Hacking SX OS Emunand and sysnand

nicotina117

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello is anyone here already tested if updating sysnand to 12.0 breaks emunand on 11.0 for SX OS? (obviously the sysnand is untouches no cfw there only on emunand)

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Version 12 is out for just a few hours so give the CFW developers some time to look at it.
Just check MScires or CTCaer 's twitter account for updates.

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It should not break emunand, but the question is how are booting into sysnand? If you're using Hekate, it does not support 12.0.0 yet (as of the time of this reply). The SX bootloader won't boot 12.0.0 . So you would have to do a genuine boot, which will burn your fuses.

Loaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It should not break emunand, but the question is how are booting into sysnand? If you're using Hekate, it does not support 12.0.0 yet (as of the time of this reply). The SX bootloader won't boot 12.0.0 . So you would have to do a genuine boot, which will burn your fuses.

Sorry to bug you, but I've been out of the loop and this is the first I've heard about a genuine boot burning fuses on modern firmware.
Do you know if a genuine boot into 11.0.1 would have burnt any fuses that would prevent booting emuNAND 11.0.0? And I'm assuming you are saying that a genuine boot into 12.0.0 would burn fuses as well?
Ultimately I'm just wondering if a switch that has genuine booted into sysNAND on 11.0.1 should still be able to boot an 11.0.0 emuNAND, and if it is "safe" to update sysNAND to 12.0.0 and do a "genuine boot" if emuNAND stays on 11.0.0?

Reactions: CanIHazWarez

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bug you, but I've been out of the loop and this is the first I've heard about a genuine boot burning fuses on modern firmware.
Do you know if a genuine boot into 11.0.1 would have burnt any fuses that would prevent booting emuNAND 11.0.0? And I'm assuming you are saying that a genuine boot into 12.0.0 would burn fuses as well?
Ultimately I'm just wondering if a switch that has genuine booted into sysNAND on 11.0.1 should still be able to boot an 11.0.0 emuNAND, and if it is "safe" to update sysNAND to 12.0.0 and do a "genuine boot" if emuNAND stays on 11.0.0?
You're not bugging at all; that's what the forums are here for :). The genuine boot option is using the stock Nintendo Switch bootloader, which means that it will burn fuses. If you booted into 11.0.1 using the genuine boot option, you now have 14 fuses burned. Having said that, there is no real point (as of now) of keeping your fuses unburned. Many people here, myself included, like to keep our fuses intact because we don't want to do anything irreversible. You're emunand will still work fine.

Using a 3rd party bootloader bypasses the fuse-check, so it doesn't matter what your fuse count is. Just don't update emunand past what SX OS/Atmosphere supports. You can boot into stock firmware without burning fuses by using a 3rd party bootloader, as well. However, the bootloader has to support whatever firmware of sysnand you're on (SX OS only supports up to 11.0.0 as of now and Hekate supports 11.0.1 [but will likely support 12.0.0 soon]). Lastly, if you already booted into 11.0.1 using genuine boot, updating sysnand to 12.0.0 isn't going to make things any worse.

Loaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You're not bugging at all; that's what the forums are here for :). The genuine boot option is using the stock Nintendo Switch bootloader, which means that it will burn fuses. If you booted into 11.0.1 using the genuine boot option, you now have 14 fuses burned. Having said that, there is no real point (as of now) of keeping your fuses unburned. Many people here, myself included, like to keep our fuses intact because we don't want to do anything irreversible. You're emunand will still work fine.

Using a 3rd party bootloader bypasses the fuse-check, so it doesn't matter what your fuse count is. Just don't update emunand past what SX OS/Atmosphere supports. You can boot into stock firmware without burning fuses by using a 3rd party bootloader, as well. However, the bootloader has to support whatever firmware of sysnand you're on (SX OS only supports up to 11.0.0 as of now and Hekate supports 11.0.1 [but will likely support 12.0.0 soon]). Lastly, if you already booted into 11.0.1 using genuine boot, updating sysnand to 12.0.0 isn't going to make things any worse.

Thanks for the detailed response and useful information. So as long as emuNAND stays on a supported version, the only thing lost by updating sysNAND to 12.0.0 would be the ability to boot sysNAND through a bootloader like SXOS/Hekate, at least until Hekate etc. can support 12.0.0. Basically the sysNAND version shouldn't stop me from loading an 11.0 emuNAND, as the bootloader will bypass the fuse checks.
Thanks again and have a good day/evening :yayswitch:

CanIHazWarez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the detailed response and useful information. So as long as emuNAND stays on a supported version, the only thing lost by updating sysNAND to 12.0.0 would be the ability to boot sysNAND through a bootloader like SXOS/Hekate, at least until Hekate etc. can support 12.0.0. Basically the sysNAND version shouldn't stop me from loading an 11.0 emuNAND, as the bootloader will bypass the fuse checks.
Thanks again and have a good day/evening :yayswitch:
You're welcome. You seem to have an accurate grasp of it. Good luck!

Basically just dont update if you still care about using sxos.
You can update sysnand and still use SX OS. My sysnand is on 11.0.1 even though SX OS only supports up to 11.0.0 . I just have to boot sysnand through Hekate, as SX's bootloader won't work. The only reason I haven't updated to 12.0.0 is because Hekate doesn't support it yet and I don't want to burn fuses by doing a "genuine boot".

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah i meant dont update to 12.0.0 it breaks everything especially sxos. If you want that support then your gonna have to convert to atmoshpere along the lines with sysnand when Scires updates its compatibility.

Loaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah i meant dont update to 12.0.0 it breaks everything especially sxos.

Are you saying that updating sysNAND to 12.0.0 will make SXOS no longer work even on emuNAND 11.0.0? I have read it may cause issues with the game cartridge slot, but other than that would one still be able to boot SXOS emuNAND or will the .xci loading have issues because of the game cart slot changes? Just trying to determine for certain if it's safe to update sysNAND and burn fuses while still being able to use emuNAND 11.0.0 and grateful for any input

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you saying that updating sysNAND to 12.0.0 will make SXOS no longer work even on emuNAND 11.0.0? I have read it may cause issues with the game cartridge slot, but other than that would one still be able to boot SXOS emuNAND or will the .xci loading have issues because of the game cart slot changes? Just trying to determine for certain if it's safe to update sysNAND and burn fuses while still being able to use emuNAND 11.0.0 and grateful for any input
sxos on emunand will be fine, but you want to have a mindset that updating when a new firmware drops is never safe. Ideally you want to give it about a week for confirmed news on what works and what breaks. I'm not sure how different fuse counts can impact emunand.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well no but you shouldn't update your firmware in advance especially if your CFW does not support the firmware. There has also been at least one time where having the sysMMC on a higher firmware than SX OS supported prevented emuMMC from booting. Just keep using emuMMC and maybe consider setting up Atmosphere so you have a backup plan in case TX never updates their CFW again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: