Hacking Sx Core and Sx Lite , test Units Received

mockbuy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I bought a SX core 2 days ago in ae and yesterday I cancelled the order (It wasn't shipped). It will probably take a month to arrive, and I don't want to take the risk of not being able to activate it because the website dies while I'm waiting to receive it.

bodgy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Can someone explain for me in dumbfuck terms what the implications are for current users?

As I take it nintendo will release new keys that we cant use, so we will be unable to play new releases going forward?

Reactions: GeForce555

GeForce555

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain for me in dumbfuck terms what the implications are for current users?

As I take it nintendo will release new keys that we cant use, so we will be unable to play new releases going forward?

I want to know this as well...I’m waiting for my modded lite to come back and if the xecuter site is down does that mean I can’t use the license.dat or boot.dat??

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the long term what does this all mean? Can we not use the sx os to run other Cfw like atmosphere?
well it fully supports payloads and devs can literally port hekate/atmos to mariko but they are mainly being stubborn because they hate sx and would rather spite the community

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the long term what does this all mean? Can we not use the sx os to run other Cfw like atmosphere?
Supposedly SciresM has Atmosphere booting on his Mariko unit.

But I've also seen him say that the SX OS bootloader clears out certain keys that are used by other cfw when booting from the payload option on the SX bootloader. He hypothesized that this is pretty much done just to block other cfw. (But Hekate and Atmosphere run on Erista SX Core units, so I'm not so sure on this claim).

I'm assuming he was able to get these keys himself and was able to use that to boot and run Atmosphere.

Edit: See these corrections:
They did clear the needed keys at one point, but it was changed awhile ago, they should be leaving enough keys now for other CFWs to be bootable on Mariko.

> Hekate and Atmosphere run on Erista SX Core units, so I'm not so sure on this claim
Mariko and Erista have very different key generation, just so you're aware :P

Now how far away are they from having a nice drop in release that any old user can just unzip and use? Who knows. I have no idea if there's more hurdles, or even more issues that are preventing it from being a release? Again who knows. I'm sure if they get to a point where they can release an easy to use version, they will.

Also everyone is saying they hope SX OS source is leaked so it can be carried on if needed. I personally hope the chip firmware source is leaked. It would be nice to just boot straight into something like Hekate instead of the SX OS bootloader. Or whatever payload you would like to use.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Last edited by hartleyshc,

mc6415

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hi There, So this seemed to be the place people were posting questions, and if it's the wrong place I apologise profusely!

I've just got an SX Lite installed and I have a few questions, I did a NAND restore as I messed up a change and it's working again but suddenly the whole blue light to green is taking WAYYYY longer than before is that expected?

Another problem I'm having is updating with ChoidujourNX on Emunand it's just getting as far as renaming NCAs and just stopping there with both bars being full.

And lastly I tried to update the official way and then recreate the Emunand but I keep getting an error in OFW which is 2137-8085 which seems to be a timeout so I'm guessing you need to do it in Genuine Boot, my problem there though is that just isn't working for me either, I've ever restored my boot0.bin to make sure AutoRCM wasn't enabled after my attempts with Choi but going for Genuine Boot in the menu I just get a black screen anyone got any ideas with that one?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I wasn't expecting this to be quite as different as it was with my old patched Switch haha!

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi There, So this seemed to be the place people were posting questions, and if it's the wrong place I apologise profusely!

I've just got an SX Lite installed and I have a few questions, I did a NAND restore as I messed up a change and it's working again but suddenly the whole blue light to green is taking WAYYYY longer than before is that expected?

Another problem I'm having is updating with ChoidujourNX on Emunand it's just getting as far as renaming NCAs and just stopping there with both bars being full.

And lastly I tried to update the official way and then recreate the Emunand but I keep getting an error in OFW which is 2137-8085 which seems to be a timeout so I'm guessing you need to do it in Genuine Boot, my problem there though is that just isn't working for me either, I've ever restored my boot0.bin to make sure AutoRCM wasn't enabled after my attempts with Choi but going for Genuine Boot in the menu I just get a black screen anyone got any ideas with that one?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I wasn't expecting this to be quite as different as it was with my old patched Switch haha!

Check your sd card or use another one.

If you're running exfat format and run fat32.
Your emunand update issues seem to be sd card related.

You can update just fine using the ofw button. I would recommend that over genuine boot.

When booting with the ofw button, you're actually protecting yourself from burnt fuses during an update. Meaning if you were running 10.0 when you first installed your sx chip and made a nand backup, you can revert back to that backup at any time. If you use the genuine boot option, it's just like running stock. So you'll need to recreate a new nand backup after every update.

As for it taking longer to boot. This is a new "feature" introduced in SX OS 3.0.5.
Earlier versions would actually keep the chip running even when you powered off the unit, so when you powered it back on it would boot up faster. The chip would need a very small amount of constant power to do this. Enough people thought this was a problem that they disabled it. So now when you turn off your system, it's turned off all the way and it takes longer on every boot to launch. It would only do this before if you held the power button down for 20 secs or however long it is to turn the system all the way off. When you turned it on after that, it would take as long as it does now.

mc6415

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Check your sd card or use another one.

If you're running exfat format and run fat32.
Your emunand update issues seem to be sd card related.

You can update just fine using the ofw button. I would recommend that over genuine boot.

When booting with the ofw button, you're actually protecting yourself from burnt fuses during an update. Meaning if you were running 10.0 when you first installed your sx chip and made a nand backup, you can revert back to that backup at any time. If you use the genuine boot option, it's just like running stock. So you'll need to recreate a new nand backup after every update.

As for it taking longer to boot. This is a new "feature" introduced in SX OS 3.0.5.
Earlier versions would actually keep the chip running even when you powered off the unit, so when you powered it back on it would boot up faster. The chip would need a very small amount of constant power to do this. Enough people thought this was a problem that they disabled it. So now when you turn off your system, it's turned off all the way and it takes longer on every boot to launch. It would only do this before if you held the power button down for 20 secs or however long it is to turn the system all the way off. When you turned it on after that, it would take as long as it does now.

Thanks for the responses, the card is FAT32 formatted, I've got another one creating an Emunand now so just going to try that now see if I have more luck. Hmm for some reason I keep hitting errors when trying to update from OFW option to do with networking stuff, I'll hook it up to another network I guess and see if that gives me any more luck just for the sake of troubleshooting.

Ah man that 'feature' seems super obnoxious, I can see why some people would dislike it but taking away options just isn't the way to go, I'd have just reversed it so if you turned it off holding it for 20 seconds that would then keep some power going too it, making the default what people wanted and then having the option for the previous behaviour as optional that you'd have to go out of your way to use but hey that's just me

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the responses, the card is FAT32 formatted, I've got another one creating an Emunand now so just going to try that now see if I have more luck. Hmm for some reason I keep hitting errors when trying to update from OFW option to do with networking stuff, I'll hook it up to another network I guess and see if that gives me any more luck just for the sake of troubleshooting.

Ah man that 'feature' seems super obnoxious, I can see why some people would dislike it but taking away options just isn't the way to go, I'd have just reversed it so if you turned it off holding it for 20 seconds that would then keep some power going too it, making the default what people wanted and then having the option for the previous behaviour as optional that you'd have to go out of your way to use but hey that's just me
I agree. I would much rather just keep it running and have faster boot times. But it is what it is. I just switch less often between sysnand and emunand.

Another thing you can try is the new AIO Updater app. It will download the fw and extract it for you. I'm not sure if it does any sort of crc checking but the fw comes from the archive.org link that's on the website most people download their fw from. It's at least something else to try. You still use ChoidujourNX to update, the AIO Updater app just downloads and extracts the fw for you.

I updated my sysnand using the built in Nintendo menu (running ofw button, not genuine boot). And then I updated my emunand using ChoidujourNX. So all of this is possible. We just need to track down why is failing for you.

mc6415

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I agree. I would much rather just keep it running and have faster boot times. But it is what it is. I just switch less often between sysnand and emunand.

Another thing you can try is the new AIO Updater app. It will download the fw and extract it for you. I'm not sure if it does any sort of crc checking but the fw comes from the archive.org link that's on the website most people download their fw from. It's at least something else to try. You still use ChoidujourNX to update, the AIO Updater app just downloads and extracts the fw for you.

I updated my sysnand using the built in Nintendo menu (running ofw button, not genuine boot). And then I updated my emunand using ChoidujourNX. So all of this is possible. We just need to track down why is failing for you.

For sure, well I'll try out some of those options and do some troubleshooting and report back with results in that case! Thanks for the help so far!

ZachyCatGames

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I've also seen him say that the SX OS bootloader clears out certain keys that are used by other cfw when booting from the payload option on the SX bootloader. He hypothesized that this is pretty much done just to block other cfw. (But Hekate and Atmosphere run on Erista SX Core units, so I'm not so sure on this claim).
They did clear the needed keys at one point, but it was changed awhile ago, they should be leaving enough keys now for other CFWs to be bootable on Mariko.

> Hekate and Atmosphere run on Erista SX Core units, so I'm not so sure on this claim

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Excellent to know on both points. It's all info I've just pieced together and I don't want to be spreading incorrect information. Thanks!

Reactions: ZachyCatGames

mc6415

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

All up and running now and updated via Choi, going to put it down to a dying or dead MircoSD I guess! Now the wait for Atmosphere on Mariko as I'd imagine that'll get done at some point from reading through the thread and the last few messages.

Reactions: hartleyshc

hartleyshc

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With SX Core do you have to update firmware before installing? I'm currently on 5.1.0.
You don't have to. But there's no reason not to. 5.1.0 is pretty ancient.

Go ahead and update to the latest 10.2.0.
You'll need SX OS 3.0.5
You'll also need to make sure your SX Core is updated to fw 1.3.

These are the latest versions for everything.

SrsRobert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
well it fully supports payloads and devs can literally port hekate/atmos to mariko but they are mainly being stubborn because they hate sx and would rather spite the community

I hope this changes in the future. People on V2 switches have no fault in this, we are like civilians so to speak lol.
I wouldn't mind getting a V1 but the price is bloating up pretty badly.

Last edited by SrsRobert,

DPyro

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You don't have to. But there's no reason not to. 5.1.0 is pretty ancient.

Go ahead and update to the latest 10.2.0.
You'll need SX OS 3.0.5
You'll also need to make sure your SX Core is updated to fw 1.3.

These are the latest versions for everything.

Can you update through SX Core so you don't blow fuses?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think