Hacking Sx Core and Sx Lite , test Units Received

S_Sustain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Flux should make things much easier. Also get the thinnest solder you can buy. 0.5 or 0.6.
You can do this with the mainboard on. Removing it would be overkill but if you are comfortable with it, suit yourself.
I'd use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Arctic MX-4 or Mastergel. Just a good, regular, nonconductive thermal compound.

And get a magnifying glass with built in light and the smallest iron tip possible. Some may not need it, but it's still very good to have.

p.s. I'm talking about Core. The Lite I wouldn't try to do myself.

I've got a lite. Wish me luck. Seriously though, I've been practicing for the last couple of months. Got some 0.5 solder, MX4, and a soldering iron with nice fine tip. I'm comfortable with the kit I've got and the temps I'm working with so fingers crossed. :-)

Astur_torque

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
So, based on what we know about the form factor and size of the core and lite, what approach will you guys be taking to fit them?

I'm thinking of choices such as...

Standard solder or solder paste?
Remove the mainboard or leave it installed?
Thermal paste preference.
etc.

I'm feeling confident that I can make a decent job of it. My main concern is soldering to the two caps/resistors just below the die. They look tiny.

I'm considering using solder paste as I find it easier to work with and apply, though I'll practice on some scrap boards first. Anyone have any experience of using solder paste with this kind of installation?

-Leave the board in.. I don't think is worth take it out from the housing... You can tear a flex by accident and later to test is way annoying to assemble everything back...
-a "pen" iron solder with flux using the thinner point
-Grizzly kryonaut

I'm not sure whether remove the copper sticker and leave the die "naked" or not and not sure whether use electrical tape just in case

Switch_Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got a lite. Wish me luck. Seriously though, I've been practicing for the last couple of months. Got some 0.5 solder, MX4, and a soldering iron with nice fine tip. I'm comfortable with the kit I've got and the temps I'm working with so fingers crossed. :-)

If you're doing a lite, you don't need to remove the board as it's more work then a Mariko/iPatched to get the board out. Just make sure to tin the pads and you should be good.

Reactions: S_Sustain and xadra

S_Sustain

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't the copper sticker on the outside of the shield? Looking at the instructions we've seen so far it doesn't look as though we re-fit the shield so...

Stock: Outer shield | Thermal paste | heatsink | copper sticker | CPU shield | thermal paste | die
With SX: Outer shield | thermal paste | heatsink | thermal paste | die

How do we compensate for the lack of thickness from the copper sticker and CPU shield? Use more paste? Is the underside of the heatsink pad even suitable to be in contact with the die?

Astur_torque

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Isn't the copper sticker on the outside of the shield? Looking at the instructions we've seen so far it doesn't look as though we re-fit the shield so...

Stock: Outer shield | Thermal paste | heatsink | copper sticker | CPU shield | thermal paste | die

How do we compensate for the lack of thickness from the copper sticker and CPU shield? Use more paste? Is the underside of the heatsink pad even suitable to be in contact with the die?

The sticker should be 0,001 mm, please

just screw more hehehe

But never apply more thermal paste than needed, it's counterproductive

Reactions: S_Sustain

Switch_Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't think you need to put the copper shim back, but unless it's damaged i don't see why not just leave it.

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Strange, even Axiogame has removed TX products from their website, and that shop is based in China....
Might be a little hard to get one of those, but since I live in Shanghai, I guess I'll find a way to buy one on Taobao :toot:

Because of Tencent-Nintendo partnership.

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Strange, even Axiogame has removed TX products from their website, and that shop is based in China....
Might be a little hard to get one of those, but since I live in Shanghai, I guess I'll find a way to buy one on Taobao :toot:
are the selling them on taboao ?
i never ordered from that site but i see it listed on /csg/ and i have ordered from the more popular sites before gearbest and aliexpress so i assume it will be the same for US

alexdar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Has anyone actually seen a SX Lite installation? Because for now I've only seen SX Core install videos... You are talking about harder install of SX Lite, but is there actually any hard evidence of that?

xadra

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Has anyone actually seen a SX Lite installation? Because for now I've only seen SX Core install videos... You are talking about harder install of SX Lite, but is there actually any hard evidence of that?

We have the (leaked) diagrams TX shared between testers. I'm pretty sure they're legit, because they match the diagrams for the SX Core that one tester briefly showed on video.

Also some testers have said the SX Lite is more difficult than the SX Core.

Here:

in-switch-exclusivite-ls-les-plans-du-sx-lite-1.png

in-switch-exclusivite-ls-les-plans-du-sx-lite-2.png

in-switch-exclusivite-ls-les-plans-du-sx-lite-3.png

in-switch-exclusivite-ls-les-plans-du-sx-lite-4.png

in-switch-exclusivite-ls-les-plans-du-sx-lite-5.png

in-switch-exclusivite-ls-les-plans-du-sx-lite-6.png

in-switch-exclusivite-ls-les-plans-du-sx-lite-7.png

I believe no installation videos so far.

Diskun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
We have the (leaked) diagrams TX shared between testers. I'm pretty sure they're legit, because they match the diagrams for the SX Core that one tester briefly showed on video.

Also some testers have said the SX Lite is more difficult than the SX Core.

Here:

I believe no installation videos so far.
There is a video here, it's not a full tutorial tho, more like a demonstration:

The dude goes too far removing the motherboard from the console but the installation is pretty clear still.

p.s. In case you haven't seen Retrogamer's livestream live, here's the recording. It's long and painful however:

Last edited by Diskun,

2noob4u2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Looks like just two solder points plus the two for the "shield ground" from what i can tell

RIP, out of my league lol.
They made it really easy didn't they. Def hardest part is removing heat shield LOL.
How much you charging to set this up? :)

Yeah, bought from them at april 14. And nothing going on, first they shutdown their whatsapp, and now they even did not answer to mails. I started to think , that this is scam, but wait, i made a payment through paypal...
I also contacted them and haven't heard from them back, a bit worried not gonna lie lol.

alexdar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
There is a video here, it's not a full tutorial tho, more like a demonstration:

The dude goes too far removing the motherboard from the console but the installation is pretty clear still.

p.s. In case you haven't seen Retrogamer's livestream live, here's the recording. It's long and painful however:

Yeah, thanks but I have seen those. As far as I can tell the first one is no "installation" video.... Second one is SX Core by some...noob dare I say. It's unfortunate nobody does SX Lite... I've seen the diagrams and if that's what TX sent to the testers than holy crap, are these bad. I hope we get more info on the Lite, since Core had pretty much all the attention.

senas8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a let down I’m so pissed not knowing which modchip website to get an order for Sx lite .. USA here.. if anyone knows please pm

bigteddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hi, I'm just newbie here, but have some question for installation.

I don't have enough soldering skill for a small point like SX Core,
so I found "conductive epoxy glue", which saying they can replace soldering.

what do you think about this?

Switch_Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm just newbie here, but have some question for installation.

I don't have enough soldering skill for a small point like SX Core,
so I found "conductive epoxy glue", which saying they can replace soldering.

what do you think about this?

Don't know much about it, but unless you can put down on super tiny spots very accurately, it would not work at all of this.

yopadato

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
are the selling them on taboao ?
i never ordered from that site but i see it listed on /csg/ and i have ordered from the more popular sites before gearbest and aliexpress so i assume it will be the same for US
I don't think you can easily buy sth on Taobao if you're not in China, I know they now have international versions of their website, but the number of products available seems very limited compared to the China Mainland version. However, Taobao is a company owned by Alibaba, so it's not impossible to see SX Core/Lite appears on Aliexpress in the next few weeks.

Like some already mentioned here, the Switch is now officially sold in China thanks to Nintendo's partnership with Tencent, and that makes me really worried about the future of the TX. Tencent really is a big deal here, if they decide to make a move against the TX, it's definitely over for them.

Reactions: weatMod

weatMod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think you can easily buy sth on Taobao if you're not in China, I know they now have international versions of their website, but the number of products available seems very limited compared to the China Mainland version. However, Taobao is a company owned by Alibaba, so it's not impossible to see SX Core/Lite appears on Aliexpress in the next few weeks.

Like some already mentioned here, the Switch is now officially sold in China thanks to Nintendo's partnership with Tencent, and that makes me really worried about the future of the TX. Tencent really is a big deal here, if they decide to make a move against the TX, it's definitely over for them.
yeah tencent is owned by the CCP
but this would be unprecedented for a product to be completely shut down
i mean i think there was one other times with the doctor v64 but that was in HK when it was under UK rule

Last edited by weatMod,

logandzwon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah tencent is owned by the CCP
but this would be unprecedented for a product to be completely shut down
i mean i think there was one other times with the doctor 54 but that was in HK when it was under UK rule

I think you mean the Doctor v64 by Bung Enterprises. Injections were granted against the product and shipments seized and destroyed at the US boarder. However, they continued making them and selling them, just not directly to US customers. When they were sued in HK they shutdown and dissolved their business. A few months later the same owners formed a new company selling the same products with different name, thought that company didn't last very long.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Eo3Bh06drc