Switch seems to be dead... is there any (for a technological noob) chance of saving it?

ss3matt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a switch that both is old enough to boot into RCM/atmosphere and also has the SX chip installed. I think I made the mistake of letting the battery fully drain, as now it won't turn on or charge, just a blank screen, LED on the chip won't light up, joycons have also died. There is just nothing... PC won't detect it either, and tegra is saying no RCM.

I've tried the surface level fixes, held the power button for 20 seconds, tried various power sources including the dock and left it hours etc. All I can say regarding that is the phone battery I used does light up, so it is detecting that it is plugged into something, and the dock's LED will light up for a split second before going off again.

Has this happened to anyone else and there is something I missed, or has the old boy finally passed away?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a switch that both is old enough to boot into RCM/atmosphere and also has the SX chip installed. I think I made the mistake of letting the battery fully drain, as now it won't turn on or charge, just a blank screen, LED on the chip won't light up, joycons have also died. There is just nothing... PC won't detect it either, and tegra is saying no RCM.

I've tried the surface level fixes, held the power button for 20 seconds, tried various power sources including the dock and left it hours etc. All I can say regarding that is the phone battery I used does light up, so it is detecting that it is plugged into something, and the dock's LED will light up for a split second before going off again.

Has this happened to anyone else and there is something I missed, or has the old boy finally passed away?
If you’ve left it powered directly to the charger (no dock) overnight it should have enough to get the first inject going. Do you know if you turned AutoRCM on or not?

Might need a new battery? There are some cheap ones on Amazon that might get you going.

Good luck!

ss3matt

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Autorcm is enabled, so it would go to a blank screen if powered on until I inject from pc, or have that red boot.dat error message if the SD isn't in, but I know it's not powering on at all thanks to the chip having an LED that indicates power on. Joycons have drained too when they weren't to start with so I know it's simply powered off and not charging.

I'll leave it for 24-48 hours in the dock, and see if that springs it to life, and failing that will look into the battery. They don't seem to be expensive. Thanks for the advice.

Failing that how's the hacking scene with switches these days if I get a new one? Just wondering what to look for on Ebay.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Autorcm is enabled, so it would go to a blank screen if powered on until I inject from pc, or have that red boot.dat error message if the SD isn't in, but I know it's not powering on at all thanks to the chip having an LED that indicates power on. Joycons have drained too when they weren't to start with so I know it's simply powered off and not charging.
yeah, you seemed to know what you‘re doing so I didn’t dwell on it too much. I just hate to see V1s die.
I'll leave it for 24-48 hours in the dock, and see if that springs it to life, and failing that will look into the battery. They don't seem to be expensive. Thanks for the advice.
You bet. Maybe we get lucky!?!
Failing that how's the hacking scene with switches these days if I get a new one? Just wondering what to look for on Ebay.
Used V1s can be found on eBay for around $210. I just bought a used V1 for $150 on eBay. It had a badly scratched screen and shell, both of which I was replacing anyway so it was a steal for me.

I also chipped a V2 using an HWFLY v4 from Aliexpress because chips can be had for < $80 these days. V2s are plentiful.

I’m still nervous to try my hand at chipping an OLED but those things look absolutely beautiful. High risk high reward. Their chips are just a bit more expensive on AE, but not that much. I might pick one up if there’s a bargain.

Good Luck!

Reactions: SylverReZ

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country

definitely doesn't need 24-48 hours
plug in the Power adapter then hold the power button for 20s, watch a real timer not count it in your mind, let it charge for 10 to 15 mins should be good enough for a boot test

djcraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have an RCM chip installed, just plug it in for 10-30 minutes, unplug it, and press the power button. You can't have it plugged in when you boot your switch when you have a chip installed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto