Switch on 5.1.0 with R4S..... Feeling lost....

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Nicotine, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Nicotine
    OP

Nicotine Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2006
    Canada
    It's been a while since I messed with my switch.... Feeling a bit lost...

It's on 5.1.0, I have the r4s dongle. I was running ReiNX on it.

Is it worth while to update? which is the best path/FW currently? (I paid for zelda, which i will use on my regular non hacked system, but i'd like to dump my own cart to this, as it's what i take to work).

does the dongle need an update? is ReiNX still viable? should i update to 8.1? 9.0?

Thanks guys! any help appreciated.

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Update to 8.1.0, and use Atmosphere instead of shitty ReiNX, also you would also have to update your dongle payload to the latest fusee primary to launch Atmosphere.

Redone_ likes this.
  3. Nicotine
    OP

Nicotine Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2006
    Canada
    thanks for the start.... where do i snag the 8.1.0 ? fuse issues?

i checked r4s site, snagged the current file and cfw. just want to make sure i go to 8.1.0 properly......

4. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You need to find the firmware files online, that darthsternie site work fine for me, I don't use R4S so I can't really help you with that, for other dongles like RCM Loader One and NS Atmosphere you just need to update the file on the dongle, you would want to enable autoRCM to preserve your fuse if you care about them.

5. Nicotine
    OP

Nicotine Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2006
    Canada
    i snagged the dongle files. there was also an atmosphere 0.9.3 for switch 8.1.0 on there

the switch itself needs to go from 5.1.0 to 8 tho.... and i'd like to preserve fuses.

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Use autoRCM and update via choidujourNX, pick up the exFAT option but you would want to use FAT32 in the long term as exFAT is corruption-prone.

7. Nicotine
    OP

Nicotine Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2006
    Canada
    Can I just cut/paste files from my SD. Format it to fat32. Then drop the files back on? Reinstalling everything will take ages :P

8. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Yes , you are not reinstall games agian, you are just copying file off to a computer , formatting the sd card and copying the files back.

9. Nicotine
    OP

Nicotine Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2006
    Canada
    Will try when I get back home. I appreciate the time and help. Thank you!!!!

10. Nicotine
    OP

Nicotine Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 10, 2006
    Canada
    Got it to 8.1.0. Got atmosphere running. Everything is good again. Took some time but it works.

Thanks again for your time and info. Truly appreciated.

zxr750j and Hayato213 like this.
  11. Roxta

Roxta Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    Germany
    Serious n00b question. What exactly does atmosphere better than ReINX? I am new to the Switch Homebrew World, ReINX was recommended by a friend of mine and the last four weeks I was satisfied. But I got no comparison to other cfws.

12. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Every other CFW out there is based off Atmosphere code, SX OS, ReiNX, if you want the most feature and support you stick with Atmosphere, Kosmos a file pack actually use Atmosphere.

Roxta likes this.
  13. Roxta

Roxta Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    Germany
    Okay so Atmosphere is the "mother" of cfws. Like already said, I'm satisfied with ReINX but also very curious. The hole installation thing are files at the SD Card (I didn't know better so I didn't install Hekate and started directly booting ReINX - I don't care about online gaming and eshop and stuff, so it's not that bad if I get banned) so can I just try to get Kosmos (I think it's the n00b friendliest all in one solution) on another SD Card and if I decide I like ReINX better I switch the SD Cards and I get my "old" System back. Would this be possible?

14. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    You can have Atmosphere and ReiNX on one sd card too.

Roxta likes this.
  15. Roxta

Roxta Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 1, 2019
    Germany
    Just add the atmosphere files to my actual SD Card? And how does the console know which cfw to boot? Do I have to inject an other payload file for booting atmosphere? What happens for example to the.nsps that I installed in ReINX? Can I use them in atmosphere than? Would be way too easy I think :D

16. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    You just need both sd files and inject different payloads. It doesn't matter if you boot with ReiNX or Atmosphere to eMMC or emuMMC, your games will be there on the corresponding NAND.

Roxta likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted