Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds good.
When I looked online, I saw that updates included the whole game (I think, since it was a big size). Is that because someone has to replace the entire file? Or is there a way to easily patch or add the updates themselves?
Updates don't include the whole game. There are three different kinds of NSP files:
  1. Base game (the game itself)
  2. Game update (You only need the latest update. You don't need to install previous updates. That's probably what you were referencing).
  3. DLC packages
Edit: There are some games that include all but the most basic elements in the update (instead of the base game) in order to limit the amount of space the game/update take up together. It means, however, that the updates are larger. These games and others often require an update be installed in order to be able to run. Mortal Kombat 11 is a good example of this.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: Windsall

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Updates don't include the whole game. There are three different kinds of NSP files:
  1. Base game (the game itself)
  2. Game update (You only need the latest update. You don't need to install previous updates. That's probably what you were referencing).
  3. DLC packages
Edit: There are some games that include all but the most basic elements in the update (instead of the base game) in order to limit the amount of space the game/update take up together. It means, however, that the updates are larger. These games and others often require an update be installed in order to be able to run. Mortal Kombat 11 is a good example of this.

I just checked again, and some updates are really super big in size, and then the 'whole thing' is less in size, but maybe it's because it's zipped.

Can atmosphere install xci files ok now? Or is nsp still the way to go.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked again, and some updates are really super big in size, and then the 'whole thing' is less in size, but maybe it's because it's zipped.

Can atmosphere install xci files ok now? Or is nsp still the way to go.
You can install XCI files as if they were NSP files. There's effectively no difference.

Reactions: Windsall

namad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't mind doing it manually and transferring from pc, but I guess I was thinking about how updates to games work and if it's easier with those shops or not.

If you recommend the tinfoil shops, what do you mean by it doesn't play wiell with the NSPs? I thought the idea was that it gets the nsp files from those shops to install?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Ok, goldleaf doesn't sounds bad if it's easy to install by usb.
Does it do well to install it in the emunand? Because I need to keep my sysnand clean.

And does it work easily for dlc and game updates? I'm still not sure how those work yet, but golfleaf sounds good in theory.

goldleaf is not really "installed" to the emuNAND or sysNAND, goldleaf is part of your atmosphere CFW which runs off your sdcard either alongside sysNAND or emuNAND. You access homebrew stuff in atmosphere by launching a game while holding R (or less recommended opening the album). Goldleaf will be one of the choices for you to pick here, assuming you put the goldleaf file in the correct place on your sdcard and you're running atmosphere CFW. Also, yes, I use goldleaf alongside my emuNAND it is great. I will say though that I don't do a TON of game updating, on a mega frequent basis, but part of that is just that nintendo games themselves don't usually receive hyper frequent updating anyways.

TL;DR

Yes.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Atmosphere and Hekate can be downloaded from their respective GitHub pages here and here. The patches for FSS0 can be found in the pinned thread on this forum. And as for the nogc patch, that differs based upon booting FSS0 or fusee_primary. For FSS0, it is handled via the autonogc line in the hekate_ipl.ini file. You can also enable it within Hekate itself.
No, that is not Tinfoil. That is a tool called DZ

@Draxzelex:
Thanks again so much for all your help! My Switch is currently on System FW 10.0.2.0. For the hekate_ipl.ini file, what should the autonogc line say so that I can still use gamecard slot after updating System FW? Also, should I be worried about messing anything up when doing all of this (Update and go to Atmosphere from Kosmos, update Hekate and FSS0 Sigpatches, and finally updating System FW)? Lastly, should I back anything up that is on my Switch mSD card? Thoughts and help appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Windsall

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
goldleaf is not really "installed" to the emuNAND or sysNAND, goldleaf is part of your atmosphere CFW which runs off your sdcard either alongside sysNAND or emuNAND. You access homebrew stuff in atmosphere by launching a game while holding R (or less recommended opening the album). Goldleaf will be one of the choices for you to pick here, assuming you put the goldleaf file in the correct place on your sdcard and you're running atmosphere CFW. Also, yes, I use goldleaf alongside my emuNAND it is great. I will say though that I don't do a TON of game updating, on a mega frequent basis, but part of that is just that nintendo games themselves don't usually receive hyper frequent updating anyways.

TL;DR

Yes.

Oh ok, so you run goldleaf on the switch while having a usb connected?
I'll try it anyway, and if it works well ill use it over tinwoo, or maybe try both..

I'm realizing games are really big in size. the 128gb card i plan to use might not be able to hold as much as it thought :O

I wonder how people manage their data when it's full.

namad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh ok, so you run goldleaf on the switch while having a usb connected?
I'll try it anyway, and if it works well ill use it over tinwoo, or maybe try both..

I'm realizing games are really big in size. the 128gb card i plan to use might not be able to hold as much as it thought :O

I wonder how people manage their data when it's full.

Goldleaf by default has nothing to do with usb. Quark (on the computer itself) when used with goldleaf though allows the switch to detect your computer as a valid source for files. By default you'd have to put the files on your sdcard then use goldleaf. If you follow the instructions at https://www.cfwaifu.com/goldleaf-quark/ you can get goldleaf to work over usb, which as a very lazy person, I found to be easier. My sdcard is also 128gb and my emuNAND of course uses up 29gb which in hard drive math is actually 32gb. Personally though I don't play more than 3or4 games in any given month though. So just uninstalling stuff from time to time makes it work fine for me personally.

TL;DR

Yes.

Last edited by namad,

Kaitourine

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hi! I was following this tutorial to play animal crossing events (no link. I'm a newbie. It's from agronomru ACNH-BCATs) and switch-time requires that I sync my date and time with the internet. However, I'm on my emummc, so wouldn't that cause a ban?

Knightrider1006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello this is pretty much my first post, but does ANYONE know why when i try to install pokemon shields dlc through tinfoil it gives me

failed to import ticket this is usually caused by missing sigpatches for your firmware or a corrupted ticket database and when i try through goldleaf i just get another error, i just modded my switch so im pretty sure i have all the right sigpatches and such, can someone please help me? its broken my pokemon game like 4 times now and everytime i have to delete the whole game and reinstall it cause it either corrupts, acts like its not installed or gets in a loop of seeing if the software is playable, i could really use a fix and id appreciate it alot!

:side note it lets me install the update files for the game but just not the dlc, and ive tried like 5 separate dlc files so i know it cant be that also my firmware for atmos is 19.5 and my fw is at 12.0.0 and my sd card is fat32

Last edited by Knightrider1006,

Kaitourine

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Hello this is pretty much my first post, but does ANYONE know why when i try to install pokemon shields dlc through tinfoil it gives me

failed to import ticket this is usually caused by missing sigpatches for your firmware or a corrupted ticket database and when i try through goldleaf i just get another error, i just modded my switch so im pretty sure i have all the right sigpatches and such, can someone please help me? its broken my pokemon game like 4 times now and everytime i have to delete the whole game and reinstall it cause it either corrupts, acts like its not installed or gets in a loop of seeing if the software is playable, i could really use a fix and id appreciate it alot!

:side note it lets me install the update files for the game but just not the dlc, and ive tried like 5 separate dlc files so i know it cant be that also my firmware for atmos is 19.5 and my fw is at 12.0.0 and my sd card is fat32

I saw someone on reddit with the same problem. Apparently the installed the wrong sigpatches. Which ones did you use?

Knightrider1006

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw someone on reddit with the same problem. Apparently the installed the wrong sigpatches. Which ones did you use?
its actually allg =D i found some SUPER old post and they led me in the right direction, took me like 5 hours of looking but hey, now i got my dlc lol, it was the sysnand, i just deleted my cfw files and reinstalled atmos and the patches, along with updating to 12.0.1 but that was for mission control, fixing the sig patches did fix it, i honestly didnt expect it too, but figured id give it a shot anyway, someone along the lines of me modding this new switch i guess i mustve installed some wrong sigpatches, easy mistake to make, NONE the less, ty for the reply, i do appreciate it =D

Starshield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been trying to move from SX OS to Atmosphere since I want to play Skyward Sword. I'm using Emunand with the Hidden Partition option yet Hekate won't detect it for Migrate Emunand. I tried converting that to Atmosphere Emunand files using Emutools but it doesn't work either since Atmosphere refuses to boot, saying it can't mount EmuMMC from files.And yes, I've changed the ini to point at Emutendo.

Is my Emunand firmware too old? I'm still on 10.2.0 on Emunand and Sysnand even lower than that.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys. My Switch is currently on System FW 10.0.2.0 and I want to update to a newer FW so I can play new games such as Skyward Sword. From what I understand, I need to update Atmosphere, update Hekate, get latest sigpatches, and finally update System FW. For the hekate_ipl.ini file, what should the autonogc line say so that I can still use gamecard slot after updating System FW? Also, should I be worried about messing anything up when doing all of this (Update and go to Atmosphere from Kosmos, update Hekate and FSS0 Sigpatches, and finally updating System FW)?

Also, which sigpatches file do I need to still use gamecard slot in OFW? I checked the r2 zip file on the Sigpatches thread on here, and that didn't have the hekate_ipl file, but the attached file/zip in first post on that thread did have an hekate_ipl file in the bootloader folder. I could be wrong, but it looked like nogc was enabled under the "config" section of said file. Line read "autonogc=1". Here is what my Switch's current hekate_ipl.ini says for nogc:

[config]
autoboot=0
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=1
verification=1
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=0

I only pasted the "config" section of the ini file because that was the only section that had a line related to nogc. For the autonogc line in the ini file, which is the last line in "config" section, is that what it should read as so I can still use gamecard slot? Also, do I have to be in CFW for that line in hekate ini file to be active? Lastly, should I back anything up that is on my Switch's mSD? If yes, should I back up entire card, or just specific stuff? Card is about 256GB in size. Thoughts and help appreciated :)

Last edited by Skeet1983,

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, here is where I am at:
I updated to latest Atmosphere, updated Hekate, and also updated Sigpatches. I think I am ready to update System FW, but am nervous. I would be updating to FW 12.0.3 and following this guide: https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualupgrade.html.
I am confused on last step, step 12, where it says to select "Reboot" and "shutdown now!". Does it do both reboot and shutdown automatically? Or, do I select reboot, and have to shutdown manually? Also, how do I make sure that I can still use gamecard slot after I proceed with update? Help greatly appreciated [emoji4]

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

BuddhaRandom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, I just picked up a 2016 Switch. I cannot seem to check the firmware due to a pending update. Can I safely update to the latest firmware? My Switch is untouched yet, I've not done a thing to it yet.

vtear

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! New here and just wanted to ask a few questions.

Many months back I messed with Hacking my Switch to Backup up my ACNH saves and also edit the save to change my Name.

Did all the Precautions like Airplane mode and deleting all the Wi-fi stuff off my switch along with Backing up my Nand and using Emunand. However I decided to boot into sysnand and try replacing my save there with homebrew (Mindset was that since i cant go online in emunand that changing my name there would be a bit pointless since i used to play acnh online alot), after that I realized i made a mistake and then immediately restored my clean nand.

I've been online plenty since then without a ban but ive accepted ill be banned anyways in some time. I know the mistake I made.

1. In the event that my console gets banned can i use my Nintendo account on a New/2nd Hand Switch and Download ACNH again?
2. Can i use the game cartridges I've used on my original switch without risk of ban? I've heard cases of Carts getting banned aswell.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, I just picked up a 2016 Switch. I cannot seem to check the firmware due to a pending update. Can I safely update to the latest firmware? My Switch is untouched yet, I've not done a thing to it yet.
If the Switch is unpatched, then it's safe to update. Alternatively, you can boot into Recovery Mode (not to be confused with RCM) to clear the update.

1. In the event that my console gets banned can i use my Nintendo account on a New/2nd Hand Switch and Download ACNH again?
2. Can i use the game cartridges I've used on my original switch without risk of ban? I've heard cases of Carts getting banned aswell.
  1. Yes, you can use the old Nintendo account. Systems get banned, not accounts.
  2. Yes, you can use old game cartridges. You will not be banned.

Last edited by Lacius,
Reactions: vtear

Andrewoid1000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
First post, total noob to this.
I've modded a 3DS with a friend before but never a switch, nor switch lite.
So, I have a switch lite, V.12 I think it's a late 2019/2019 model. (I bought secondhand in mid 2020)
I know everyone says it's difficult to mod/hack (idk what the correct term is) a switch lite and you have to physically install a modchip but that doesn't really bother me.
It's possible and fairly known how to do it so more than enough for me; it's far from impossible.

So I'm guessing the best option would be, at one stage, to pay someone trustworthy to install a modchip who is more experienced with micro-soldering or the process and also to install SX OS at some point. I don't actually know much more than that when it comes to the switch lite, finding information on the switch is easier.
Does anyone have any advice for what I should do, or read into to begin hacking/modding my switch lite (to be able to run cfw, run ROMs etc)
Or any advice on finding someone to install the modchip?

I know a lot of people will recommend me to buy a regular switch console and simply mod that one, and I may do that in the future, however I am specifically inquiring about the switch lite.
Believe me, it has been well noted already that many wouldn't recommend modding the switch lite.

Really, I find the gameplay of the switch lite much more enjoyable and preferable, to the point I'd rather take the time and commitment to go down this road instead.
Thank you.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, here is where I am at:
I updated to latest Atmosphere, updated Hekate, and also updated Sigpatches. I think I am ready to update System FW, but am nervous. I would be updating to FW 12.0.3 and following this guide: https://switch.homebrew.guide/usingcfw/manualupgrade.html.
I am confused on last step, step 12, where it says to select "Reboot" and "shutdown now!". Does it do both reboot and shutdown automatically? Or, do I select reboot, and have to shutdown manually? Also, how do I make sure that I can still use gamecard slot after I proceed with update? Help greatly appreciated [emoji4]
Just select reboot and then select to do it now. It should reboot on its own.

If game cartridges don't work after the update, it means you have a lower than expected fuse count because you have AutoRCM installed, and an update to the game cartridge slot was blocked. If that's the case, you need to edit BCT.ini to force-disable nogc.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1