Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

AcuRaw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently on Firmware 5.1 SXOS. I just recently picked up the new NES Nintendo Switch controllers.

They absolutely will NOT sync to my console no matter what I do. I'm pretty sure there was something written into the 6.0 update that added compatibility with these controllers.

My question is, what firmware should I update to that still retains the highest homebrew compatibility etc...

For example I heard tinfoil does not work on 6.1

Should I just update to 6.0? Does homebrew run on 6.2?

$_57.JPG

Sparky076

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What DNS settings are you using?

Personally I recommend 90dns (here) as it blocks all nintendo servers but still allows access to ftp and hbappstore

If you are using 90dns and having an issue, I would like to know so we can get to the bottom of it
I didn't know about 90DNS. I followed the original 101 guide and gave me different IP Addresses. I think that guide needs to be updated.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok thank you now that i found secondary.bin i got antoher problem when i load hekata and then atmosphere after the nx bootlogo it come a blue atmosphere screen that atmosphere version is mismatch detected but i loaded everythin newfrom github, i dont get it
when o load only atmospehre it boots everythin but i dont get the hbmenu only the screenshot menu
Vanilla Atmosphere is just the CFW by itself. No homebrew, homebrew menu, or homebrew loader. Those all have to be downloaded individually.
I'm currently on Firmware 5.1 SXOS. I just recently picked up the new NES Nintendo Switch controllers.

They absolutely will NOT sync to my console no matter what I do. I'm pretty sure there was something written into the 6.0 update that added compatibility with these controllers.

My question is, what firmware should I update to that still retains the highest homebrew compatibility etc...

For example I heard tinfoil does not work on 6.1

Should I just update to 6.0? Does homebrew run on 6.2?

$_57.JPG
Not sure where you heard Tinfoil doesn't work on firmware 6.1 but it seems like everything works even on 6.2. For updating, I highly recommend using the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX so you can update without burning fuses which will allow you to downgrade to lower firmwares in case an exploit is released for them in the future.

Sparky076

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a guide to dumping a physical game card, and making it a digital format? How about copying digital games from one Switch to another, and making them work?

MyconMama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question:
Got a new Switch yesterday; early hardware rev, 6.2 firmware. Last night, I successfully booted into RCM and dumped NAND and BIS keys via Hekate and biskeydump. SDXC card was not inserted under OFW until *after* reboot following backup creation, and my system didn't install exFAT support until then. Will I need to recreate my NAND backup now that exFAT support has been installed to avoid issues restoring clean NAND later?

MikeTheKnight2016

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using SX OS and FIleZilla is there a way to ftp checkpoint save data to and from the switch?

Anytime I navigate to /switch/Checkpoint/saves/ I see the directories of all of my games but when i enter a folder it is always empty. If I plug the SD Card into my Computer, and I navigate to /switch/Checkpoint/saves/ if I enter a specific games directory then I am able to see the save file.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So you recommend 6.2 using ChoiDujourNX ? I was under the impression cfw did not run on 6.2
6.2 broke CFW for about a week or so but now all CFW support 6.2
Is there a guide to dumping a physical game card, and making it a digital format? How about copying digital games from one Switch to another, and making them work?
You can use either WAIN cart dumper or gcdumptool for dumping retail cartridges. After that, you have to use a .NSP converter such as 4NXCI or xci2nsp to make them into digital format. Both of those tools need keys which can be obtained with lockpick. SD to NSP can dump games that are already in digital format but only CFW can make it work on other consoles.
Quick question:
Got a new Switch yesterday; early hardware rev, 6.2 firmware. Last night, I successfully booted into RCM and dumped NAND and BIS keys via Hekate and biskeydump. SDXC card was not inserted under OFW until *after* reboot following backup creation, and my system didn't install exFAT support until then. Will I need to recreate my NAND backup now that exFAT support has been installed to avoid issues restoring clean NAND later?
Not really. You can just keep a mental note that the firmware of your NAND dump doesn't support exFAT. If that's too much to remember, you can just dump your NAND again.

MyconMama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not really. You can just keep a mental note that the firmware of your NAND dump doesn't support exFAT. If that's too much to remember, you can just dump your NAND again.

Thanks for the swift reply! Could this function as low-key insurance that my SD contents wouldn't tip off Nintendo that I've been tinkering if I forget and leave it inserted when restoring to OFW, since I'd have to download update before it would recognize the contents? Or is that not a concern in the scene?

I've read allusions to a lack of exFAT support soft-bricking some folks' Switches, but haven't garnered exactly how that happens.

Last edited by MyconMama,

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the swift reply! Could this function as low-key insurance that my SD contents wouldn't tip off Nintendo that I've been tinkering if I forget and leave it inserted when restoring to OFW, since I'd have to download update before it would recognize the contents? Or is that not a concern in the scene?

I've read allusions to a lack of exFAT support soft-bricking some folks' Switches, but haven't garnered exactly how that happens.
I'd say its better to not take that risk as we don't know what Nintendo is and isn't monitoring (although we do have a few good ides).

As for bricks concerning exFAT, this is highly misleading. Whenever anyone encounters a black screen on the Switch, their first thought is always a brick. But a black screen can mean so many different things. When it comes to a lack of exFAT support, the "brick" is due to the user trying to load a CFW using an exFAT formatted SD card which the console doesn't recognize. As a result, the Switch black screens which nothing a long press of the power button can't fix. This along with corruption is why I recommend people to use FAT32 as you never have to concern yourself with exFAT support nor worry about corruption. And when it comes to files over 4 GB, there are numerous workarounds but will vary depending on the type of file you are transferring.

Reactions: MyconMama

mUppenbart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Hi guys!

Don´t know if this is the right section to ask this, but just updated my switch to 6.2.0 using ChoiDujourNX and everything went well.
I´m using SX OS 2.5 Emunand and everything works well after updating, except all my installed .nsp files which all are now with a cloud symbol and ask me to download the software data, saying it will be downloaded now. Since i´m an offline user i dont want to do this.

How have this happened, what can i do about it? Do i have to download the .nsp-files again?

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I’m on the same boat, buddy, the only difference being that I’m on 1.0.0.

It’d be great if we could define the proper order of doing things. Here’s what I got (adding to your own list):
  1. Boot into RCM using a jig and load CTCaer mod (= improved Hekate?) as a payload via a USB dongle;
  2. Make a System NAND Backup including boot0/boot1 and raw eMMC GPP while still in RCM;
  3. Use the biskeydump payload to backup my BIS keys. They would allow me to reinstall any firmware version manually (optional?)
  4. use ChoiDujour to install the 6.2.0 update without burning fuses (better than doing it on the EmuNAND, or does it end up being the same thing?)
  5. Prevent the cartridge slot from updating (if there really is such an option in Choi) - that way, you can truly revert your system to its original state later;
  6. Enable AutoRCM through Hekate (apparently, auto-enabled by default when using Choi);
  7. Boot stock FW through Hekate (by that, do you mean CFW or OFW?)
  8. Forgot to add this step: link a Nintendo account (Nintendo ID) as soon as you boot into CFW (or is it OFW? I’m not sure), so if it’s required for anything and you’re banned later, it’s alteady there;
  9. Play Pokémon (a legit copy, I assume, so you just used the CFW to bypass the firmware requirement and avoid burning fuses by booting into the OFW/Horizon?).

3. yes, dumping the BIS keys is optional
6. yup, enabling AutoRCM is unnecessary since it's auto enabled by Choi, as Draxzelex explained :)
7. I mean OFW = the official/original Switch Firmware by Nintendo. I Don't want to start using custom Firmware (CFW) like ReiNX or Atmosphère just yet. (So I can still go online without worrying so much about getting my Switch banned)
8. I'll probably do that too
9. yes, a legit copy. But I'm not bypassing the Firmware requirements. The whole process I described updates my switch to 6.2.0 (but without burning any fuses) so I can fulfill the Firmware requirements and play Pokémon.
By the way, Hekate is not a CFW, it's just a bootloader to boot into CFW (or OFW or do NAND backups). Not sure if the terminology might have confused you there ;)

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Thank you. That seems to work better now. However some games dont boot at all. For example i´m getting "the software was closed because an error occured" while booting cities skylines. Any idea?
Not sure about that one. You could archive it keeping your save data and reinstall it. I had problems too when I first created emunand and I had to reinstall all my games but since I did that everything has worked great.

dagarui

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My personal recommendation is #2 but it does take a while and some people have good enough jigs that #3 becomes viable. Either way those are your options for linking a new Nintendo Account on 6.2 without burning fuses.

thanks for helping me! :)
but now I have a problem. I wanted to do the ChoiDujour method only for updating without burning fuses.
But this method doesn't support 6.2.0 right? Or can I do it with 6.2.0? :) I didn't found any solution for that.
Thanks for your help!

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Then that is what i will have to do also with the .nsp who do their own magic. But will i have to move all content from nintendo to emutendo from time to time. I see there is a function to move the emunand to microsd. Should i do that?
Depends. If you have a clean nand backup, care for online play and haven't been banned. Having a clean sysnand and sd emunand is a great setup. If youre banned from online and your in nand "emunand" is already set up I don't think it's worth the trouble changing to sd emunand.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for helping me! :)
but now I have a problem. I wanted to do the ChoiDujour method only for updating without burning fuses.
But this method doesn't support 6.2.0 right? Or can I do it with 6.2.0? :) I didn't found any solution for that.
Thanks for your help!
Oh shoot, I forgot ChoiDujour doesn't support firmware 6.2. Then your options for not burning fuses are the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX or rebooting into RCM with your jig after installing the update online.

mUppenbart

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
If you have a clean nand backup, care for online play and haven't been banned. Having a clean sysnand and sd emunand is a great setup. If youre banned from online and your in nand "emunand" is already set up I don't think it's worth the trouble changing to sd emunand.

I have a clean backup, not banned, but dont care for online play. However i´m interested in getting themes. Is that possible on SX OS yet?

Also... if i install more .nsps in the future. Will they automaticly install into Emutendo?

Last edited by mUppenbart,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...