Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You said I could use my switch as a SDK of sorts to port software to its. Any idea how to do this?
The Switch SDK is a computer program. It is not something that is run on the Switch. All you can really do to prep the Switch is load a CFW with signature patches so you don't have to worry about your port not being properly signed, but all work has to be done from the computer, not the Switch.
Are the chances of bricking through the CFW'ing process (ReiNX) big? Has there been problems related of bricking of any damage to the console by normal use? (playing games, using homebrew) (except for the corruption part with the exFAT thing)

By the way, is there a way to update to 5.1.0 and add exFAt without having to go to 6.0.0? I see a lot of people saying 6.0.0 isn't a good firmware version for CFW at all.
The only bricks I know of are due to AutoRCM (which is how it functions), frying the battery (seen with third party docks and that one case with RajNX), and running PozzNX aka the SX OS crack (irreversible without a backup of PRODINFO aka Cal0). Everything else is not really a "brick" but something that causes the user to mistake it for a brick

You can use ChoiDujourNX and a set of 5.1 firmware files to install exFAT on 5.1

Dominator211

JFK's Jelly Donut
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch SDK is a computer program. It is not something that is run on the Switch. All you can really do to prep the Switch is load a CFW with signature patches so you don't have to worry about your port not being properly signed, but all work has to be done from the computer, not the Switch.
The only bricks I know of are due to AutoRCM (which is how it functions), frying the battery (seen with third party docks and that one case with RajNX), and running PozzNX aka the SX OS crack (irreversible without a backup of PRODINFO aka Cal0). Everything else is not really a "brick" but something that causes the user to mistake it for a brick

You can use ChoiDujourNX and a set of 5.1 firmware files to install exFAT on 5.1
and the only way to get this program is through the devloper portal in which im not old enough

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

Thank you! By the way, you said people mistake stuff for a brick. Is it something related to the purple screen error i've seen sometimes around here? Are these recuperable with a NAND backup?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you! By the way, you said people mistake stuff for a brick. Is it something related to the purple screen error i've seen sometimes around here? Are these recuperable with a NAND backup?
The purple screen is akin to a brick since the console won't boot up normally. I think the first case of this, someone had to rebuild their GPT which rajkosto made a tool on how to do so on his site in case anyone else runs into this issue but as long as your battery isn't fried, you can recover from any brick with a NAND backup.

The other type of "brick" people report is when the Switch runs out of the battery with AutoRCM installed. Now originally it was thought that the console would be unable to charge since AutoRCM is installed, however it was discovered shortly afterwards that AutoRCM reduces the charge in RCM, not flat out makes it zero. This meant that even if a console were to die with AutoRCM installed, it can still be brought back to life; it will just take a while for it to recover.

I forgot to mention one last type of brick which no one has reported nor made possible which is something burns all of the anti-downgrade fuses in the console. This makes it impossible to turn on the console without bypassing the fuse check with a bootloader that does so and even if you do, sleep mode will still be broken since we cannot patch the fuse check conducted by the warmboot binary (sleep mode=warmboot). More info can be found here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-nintendo-switch-malicious-apps-and-you.518739/

Reactions: Vieela

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Draxzelex good to know! thanks, one more question, i downloaded an nsp which specifically stated it had its titlekey removed because it was released before offical release date. yet when installed with tinfoil it booted up, is this something tinfoil does on its own or?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex good to know! thanks, one more question, i downloaded an nsp which specifically stated it had its titlekey removed because it was released before offical release date. yet when installed with tinfoil it booted up, is this something tinfoil does on its own or?
Maybe the titlekey was initially removed from the .NSP but was shortly added before you downloaded it. The titlekey can only be obtained by purchasing the game and having someone dump it. Tinfoil most certainly does not provide titlekeys to the .NSP files it installs.

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Maybe the titlekey was initially removed from the .NSP but was shortly added before you downloaded it. The titlekey can only be obtained by purchasing the game and having someone dump it. Tinfoil most certainly does not provide titlekeys to the .NSP files it installs.

Weird, the guy states its not added yet. but im not complaining haha. thanks for the swift reply again =)

Another question (to all) i tried the tinfoil usb installer, but the nsp stay at 99%, what can i do to fix this?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Weird, the guy states its not added yet. but im not complaining haha. thanks for the swift reply again =)

Another question (to all) i tried the tinfoil usb installer, but the nsp stay at 99%, what can i do to fix this?
This is apparently a bug if you're installing certain .NSP files and you're not on firmware 6.0. However these .NSP files have no trouble being installed on the SD card or via the network so wait until all of the kinks have been worked out because it seems like its not perfect.

zerohealinzz

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is apparently a bug if you're installing certain .NSP files and you're not on firmware 6.0. However these .NSP files have no trouble being installed on the SD card or via the network so wait until all of the kinks have been worked out because it seems like its not perfect.

right fair enough ^^ thank you so much!

Reactions: Draxzelex

lickwid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Re-install the exFAT drivers using ChoiDujourNX.

It must have somehow disabled AutoRCM and booted into Horizon, so my efuses all burned. 7 burnt now. Oh well. I was mostly staying on 3.0.0 to hopefully have a emunand solution someday. Not a bid deal. So I'd highly warn against anyone who was on a lower FW who upgraded through Cdj to match software with a local user, as it'll also upgrade you to their current FW as well. Not sure of it was 6.0.1 that caused AutoRCM to disable itself and boot into Horizon, but it happened without connecting to internet.

aera

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what I'm doing at all, so any help would be appreciated - I ran into a problem with this and lost steam entirely.

I've got the decrypted files of Xenoblade 2 (specifically, I've got the romfs file, which I want to extract bf2.ard from). I can see the contents of the romfs file with Ac_K's romfs explorer, but it can't handle extracting a 10 GB file and errors on me. Is there any other way I can get this out?

erk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello- I have messed up the installation of SX OS! I believe I am missing files that were generated during the initial set up. The firs thing I did was make a full raw nand backup. Copies this to my conquer and deleted from SD. I then got the system to generate the activation code request which I submitted online for the activation file. I think I saw an 'SX OS' folder on the SD that must have been generated automatically but it's apparently been deleted. Currently I use jig and dongle and the red SX screen pops up for a second, then the switch attempts to boot into regular firmware, but won't unless I pop out the SD. Help?

boleklolek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands Antilles
How do I update/install DLC's .XCI games I have on my SD card? I have 5.1 firmware and using SX OS 2.0.1. The updates and DLC's come in .NSP format.

I want to update and get DLC WITHOUT connecting my switch to internet!

Seffnot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, So my Sd card got corrupted today. I just wanna go over what happened to see if it was avoidable or just bad luck. Or if there's anything I can do to reduce the risk of it happening again. A couple days ago I installed ReiNX for the first time, and installed a couple of NSPs. Today I installed their updates and one more NSP. Then I used ReiNX tools for the first time and enabled autoRCM. Shut off Switch plugged sd card into PC, tried to transfer files to it... Failed with error# indicating corruption. Doing a low level format indicates that it has an innumerable amount of bad sectors.. Totally fried.. I'm on 5.1.0, ReiNX 1.7, the card is an almost new Sandisk ultra 128gb that was fat32 formatted.... I read that fat32 does not actually lower the risk of corruption, just that it has ways of preventing data loss... is this the case? ............So even homebrew such as tinfoil and a basic tool suit has the ability to corrupt so quickly? But not often right - I was just unlucky right? .....I used homebrew a grand total of 3 times lol.

Last edited by Seffnot,

licerice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I'm still fairly new to Switch hacking, and would really appreciate if someone could give me some directions..

Basically, all I want to do is try out SplatHex, a Splatoon 2 save editor. Despite all of my research attempts, I still don't really know what exactly I'm supposed to do, or how to stay completely safe during the process. I use online services (like the eShop or multiplayer) a lot, and I don't want to risk getting banned for a minor save edit..

Which is why I was wondering if it would work to make a NAND backup first, then 'temporarily' install Homebrew, edit the save file with SplatHex, and then remove all traces of Homebrew by going back to that NAND again, while still maintaining the edited save file somehow. I believe I've done something similar with my 3DS a long time ago.

The only stuff I've learned from youtube tutorials so far are using "SDFiles" + "TegraRcmGUI" together with an RCM jig for installing Homebrew, and how to make a NAND backup. But that's about it, I don't know anything about the rest, and can't seem to find any proper guides for anything else (e.g. using the backed up NAND, installing SplatHex, etc). My switch is currently on v6.0.1 if that matters, but I don't think it should.

So yeah, I guess I'm kinda at a loss here, haha.. Is what I have requested possible in a way? I'd really appreciate any help!

((super new here and hardly use forums so sorry if i completely screwed the formatting of this or i'm doing something wrong)) This is pretty much EXACTLY what I want to do too, same situation, down to the firmware. I'm really worried about being banned since I play a fair bit of competitive in my spare time.

Have you found any useful information on this? Your idea of 'temporarily' installing homebrew sounds great as I don't really want it for anything else after I save edit my Splat save (due to fear of being banned)... I've 'brewed mine and my sister's 3DS, as well as my Wii U a while back, but I am still fairly n00b since all I've done is closely follow instructions on how to do them. Thanks!

BATMAN-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hello everyone,

I am very sorry if my question has been asked a hundred times before but I want to be 100 % sure
on how to do it. So in August I bought a second Switch that is being used solely offline - it
never connected to the internet when I started modding the console, personally I dont even care about
being banned since this console is only being used for offline purposes.
I don't know why but I did not create a NAND-backup - many of you guys advice thoroughly to do it
and I think that it is absolutely essential.

Excuse my nooby question and let me ask:

If I have games installed on the internal storage of the Switch, do I need to delete them so the internal storage
is completely emtpy or could I proceed in creating a NAND-backup with games installed on the internal storage?
Is there any risk of doing a NAND-backup with installed games on the sd card (NSP'S, XCI'S)?

Once again a big thanks to all of you guys trying to help on this forum!

Any help is greatly apprecaited.

Vieela

GBATemp's official thinker™
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I have another question.

When updating, does the firmware update remove anything? AutoRCM, homebrew launcher, or anything of sorts? Is there anything that should be cautious with when updating, or we can just update?

Also, for example: if i have a 3.0.0 witch and use ChoidujourNX to update it to 5.1.0, it won't blow any fuses, right? Therefore, i can go back and forth between any firmwares released after 3.0.0 but before 5.1.0 (4.0.0, 4.0.1, 4.1.0, 5.0.1) without blowing any fuses and without any problems?

And the last one:

What is Hekate? I get it is a bootloader and not a CFW, but how does it work? It boots first, and then boots the CFW? can you use it simultaneously with Reinx, Atmosphere, etc? Or does it conflict?

AngelR

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hello everyone,

I bought a second Switch so i could use the one that I already have (SN XAJ70023X FW 4.1.0) for hacking, while keeping the newer one clean.
Turns out that the Switch i just bought should be hackable too (SN XAJ10026X FW 4.1.0).
Since both of them have the same firmware and a good SN there should be no problem in using the newer one for hacking, right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.