SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Those DNS settings only block Nintendo-related online services; all other online services should be unaffected and work properly.

Kiro04 likes this.
  2. Kiro04

Kiro04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Argentina
    Thanks for the quick answer!

What I'm doing is connect to the wifi created with the hotspot of my phone(4g); the Switch connects to the wifi, but no to Internet.
    When quit the Internet setup, it launchs a Hombrew Launcher page with the Install and Run options (?!?!).
    (See the images below)

Maybe, the DNS are wrong? Can I try with another setup???

Attached Files:

3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Try using another DNS server such as 90DNS: https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-dns-server-for-blocking-all-nintendo-servers.516234/

Kiro04 likes this.
  4. Kiro04

Kiro04 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2018
    Argentina
    Draxzelex likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 12, 2018
    Austria
    Hi everyone! I'm still fairly new to Switch hacking, and would really appreciate if someone could give me some directions..

Basically, all I want to do is try out SplatHex, a Splatoon 2 save editor. Despite all of my research attempts, I still don't really know what exactly I'm supposed to do, or how to stay completely safe during the process. I use online services (like the eShop or multiplayer) a lot, and I don't want to risk getting banned for a minor save edit..

Which is why I was wondering if it would work to make a NAND backup first, then 'temporarily' install Homebrew, edit the save file with SplatHex, and then remove all traces of Homebrew by going back to that NAND again, while still maintaining the edited save file somehow. I believe I've done something similar with my 3DS a long time ago.

The only stuff I've learned from youtube tutorials so far are using "SDFiles" + "TegraRcmGUI" together with an RCM jig for installing Homebrew, and how to make a NAND backup. But that's about it, I don't know anything about the rest, and can't seem to find any proper guides for anything else (e.g. using the backed up NAND, installing SplatHex, etc). My switch is currently on v6.0.1 if that matters, but I don't think it should.

So yeah, I guess I'm kinda at a loss here, haha.. Is what I have requested possible in a way? I'd really appreciate any help!

6. WexTiller

WexTiller Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 23, 2018
    Italy
    Thank you! I'll start soon then. Last thing: I'm going to backup my 5.1 firmware. Once i'll update to 6.0 with the fuses burnt, i'll have to take another backup, right? If so, when should i back up it? Whenever i want, installing whatever i want, but before i enable the AutoRcm? I mean, i'm going to backup something that only the AutoRcm is going to modify(?), that means every thing else shouldn't influenze the backup(anything on the MicroSd). It will be a clean backup as long as i don't enable Autorcm(?), no matter what i have on the Sd\installed on the console?

EDIT: I've just done the backup from the Reinx ToolKit( Backup Cal0, Backup Boot 0/1, Backup NAND). Can i proceed now? Or should i take another backup with hekate? People claimed to take a backup before installing any CFW, but following up the reinx.guid i had to inject it. That's still fine, isn't it?

Last edited by WexTiller, Oct 12, 2018
  7. DocBo

DocBo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 11, 2018
    Germany
    How can i add own pictures to homebrew apps?!

8. shanefromoz

shanefromoz GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 18, 2007
    Australia
    Auto RCM questions.

1/. When in auto RCM mode i understand i can then just press power once for sleep mode, will the battery power drain?
    2/. If i hold power and turn off i understand i then use the dongle again.
    3/. Can the switch be charged when in auto rcm mode and sleep mode + when i turn off completely?
    4/. If i update using Choid to 5.1.0 is it true i can not liad into OFW?

Thanks

Last edited by shanefromoz, Oct 12, 2018
  9. dustyranch

dustyranch Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 21, 2018
    Sweden
    Hi all, I have a noob question regarding installing game (nsp) updates

I have FW4.1 running SX OS 1.9, and I have been installing my NSPs with Tinfoil (to be able to ignore FW requirements), but I have yet to install any game update NSPs.

1. Can I simply install them with Tinfoil (as long as I have the base game NSPs installed), if not what is the best way of doing this for a Mac user?
    2. Can I install NSP updates to XCI games that are mounted?
    3. Let's say there exists 2 or more game updates, do I need to install all, or will the latest update take care of the previous one(s) as well?

10. MSco

MSco GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2016
    Germany
    Thank you very much! This was very helpfull.

However, can you or anyone explain me the difference between Reinx and Rajnx?

11. Dominator211

Dominator211 JFK's Jelly Donut

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    Since we discussed this before. Once i get my jig how can get my switch ready so that i can "port" software. I cant put it into word per say but i think you understand what i mean.

12. BATMAN-

BATMAN- Member

Newcomer
    Jul 13, 2018
    Poland
    Hi everbody,
    do you guys know if it is possible to use tinfoil alongside sx os? Would it be achievable to launch
    tinfoil from sx os's homebrew tab or do I need to find a different route? Any help is greatly appreciated!

13. desgrassia

desgrassia Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2018
    Italy
    Hi, I am finally back after some real-life issues that stopped me again from working on my Switch.

Before I start I have to add that I checked and it is still on firmware 2.3.0, not "3.something" as I thought. Is this better, worse or the same for me? Anyway I am going to upgrade only via choidujournx, to save my e-fuses...

My new question is about microSD card to backup my Switch NAND: do I need to update the console in order to read exFAT or higher capacity cards? or, otherwise, how can I backup a 32 GB NAND on a 32 GB microSD without exfat support?

14. lickwid

lickwid Member

Newcomer
    Feb 21, 2018
    United States
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay, so I'm pretty sure I burned my e-fuses. So I recently picked up a 2nd Switch that came with 3.0.0 FW. I had ReiNX with AutoRCM installed, and on 5.1.0 with ExFAT using Cdj. Everything was working fine. I was on an airplane today and wanted to play MK8D with my original cart, with a neighbor. As I hadn't loaded up MK8D on this Switch yet, it was still on 1.0. I used the Match with Local User feature to update MK8D to 2.0, however it appeared to also upgrade my system to 6.0.1. MK8D played fine but now I got an error saying I need to download the microsdxc update. Now none of my NSPs will read from card.

Last edited by lickwid, Oct 12, 2018
  15. zerohealinzz

zerohealinzz GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2018
    Netherlands
    Im just curious (not asking for warez or stuff ._.) but what is the difference between a nsp file with titlekey and one without? cus even the one without one can be played when installed with tinfoil.

16. Dominator211

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    What exactly does dev menu do? Does it turn the switch into a porting device of sorts?

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Splathex seems pretty self-explanatory but I'd imagine you would need to dump your Splatoon 2 save before you can use it which you can do with any number of homebrew applications such as Checkpoint or EdiZon. As for dumping/restoring the NAND, all of that can be accomplished with Hekate. That too is pretty self-explanatory; dump the eMMC raw GPP which is comprised of eMMC SYS + USER as well as boot0/boot1. Whenever you're ready to return online, restore these using Hekate (Hekate creates a restore folder on your SD card where these files go).
    Since you already made a backup with the toolkit, making one with Hekate would make no difference. And since you made the backup after you ran CFW, the backup is not as clean as it would have been if it was made in Hekate. At this point, its the cleanest NAND you'll ever get since anything after this point will only taint it more.
    1. AutoRCM has no affect on the battery drain during sleep mode
    2. When using Horizon's Power Off option with a dongle inserted, the console turns off
    3. The Switch charges in sleep mode, with or without AutoRCM, however you cannot charge it while its off because charging it while its off turns on the console and because AutoRCM is installed, it will boot into RCM. And because AutoRCM is installed, it charges slower in RCM
    4. No, you cannot load into non-RCM OFW. But you can load into RCM OFW with a bootloader that supports going into OFW
    1. Yes
    2. Yes
    3. The latest update should contain data of all previous updates.
    ReiNX is a CFW + bootloader that was built from the ground up and borrows some sysmodules (think of plugins from Atmosphere). RajNX is a "bastardized" combination of Hekate as the bootloader and Atmosphere as the CFW which makes it more like a starter pack than ReiNX which is its own CFW. RajNX only came into existence shortly after ReiNX developed legal "signature patches" aka Eticket Service patches which allow .NSP files you do not own to be installed and played. However to the end user, both are functionally similar.
    I believe Tinfoil is now supported on SX OS V2.0.1
    If you backup the NAND in Hekate, your console does need to support exFAT since Hekate is loaded outside of Horizon; it is loaded in RCM. If you backup the NAND with the ReiNX toolkit, then your console must support exFAT if you wish to use an exFAT formatted SD card.
    Re-install the exFAT drivers using ChoiDujourNX.

.NSP files are encrypted with a titlekey. Without it, the Switch cannot launch them because the files are encrypted. Typically .NSP files without titlekeys are preloads.
    No it has features that give users certain access to the console such as installing .NSP files, changing the user icons, removing game updates, unlinking Nintendo Accounts, etc.

Last edited by Draxzelex, Oct 13, 2018
  18. Dominator211

Oct 15, 2016
    United States
    Upstate, New York
    You said I could use my switch as a SDK of sorts to port software to its. Any idea how to do this?

19. Vieela

Vieela GBATemp's official thinker™

Jan 18, 2017
    Brazil
    Are the chances of bricking through the CFW'ing process (ReiNX) big? Has there been problems related of bricking of any damage to the console by normal use? (playing games, using homebrew) (except for the corruption part with the exFAT thing)

By the way, is there a way to update to 5.1.0 and add exFAt without having to go to 6.0.0? I see a lot of people saying 6.0.0 isn't a good firmware version for CFW at all.

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    The Switch SDK is a computer program. It is not something that is run on the Switch. All you can really do to prep the Switch is load a CFW with signature patches so you don't have to worry about your port not being properly signed, but all work has to be done from the computer, not the Switch.
    The only bricks I know of are due to AutoRCM (which is how it functions), frying the battery (seen with third party docks and that one case with RajNX), and running PozzNX aka the SX OS crack (irreversible without a backup of PRODINFO aka Cal0). Everything else is not really a "brick" but something that causes the user to mistake it for a brick

You can use ChoiDujourNX and a set of 5.1 firmware files to install exFAT on 5.1