Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

any_name_you_wish

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Hi so my switch first said that the sd card had been taken out even though it wasn't then I restarted it and it kept saying "failed to initialize sd card" then I gave it to some one to repair it and now the only thing that turns on is the back light. I can't find the issue so here are a few pictures of the motherboard, so maybe you guys can find it. if you want better pictures please let me know, thanks
Post automatically merged:

Hi so my switch first said that the sd card had been taken out even though it wasn't then I restarted it and it kept saying "failed to initialize sd card" then I gave it to some one to repair it and now the only thing that turns on is the back light. I can't find the issue so here are a few pictures of the motherboard, so maybe you guys can find it. if you want better pictures please let me know, thanks

Blue Sun

Trophies
Website
bluesunstudios.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
No, that user wanted to use Hekate to launch Stock mode in order to go online which is fine since Stock mode nor Hekate count as CFW/homebrew. However using Hekate to launch the CFW, Atmosphere, can get you banned even if the Pokemon are legal or valid.
Ah, I see. So I am better off transferring the edited save data over to the stock version, corrrect?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Post automatically merged:
So you’re saying two people (one being a pro who knows exactly where things were touched) have had the benefit off close up viewing in 3D with the ability to adjust lighting, distance and angles but found nothing.

Your hope is that by providing some pics with a single angle with set lighting and set distance the community is going to be able to pick out something in the micro soldering that you guys missed.

I mean, we can try, but you’ll have to be understanding if we come up short.

btw, I didn’t see any pics attached…

Herodias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi guys! I just updated my switch to Atm 1.4 and OFW 15.01, my card game keeps asking for a update and since I don't connect it to the wifi I cannot play games on the cartridge. I already did the setup on stratopheres.ini and hekate_ini to set nogc=0 but it's not working. The card is recognized but asks for an update even on the latest firmware, what to do to fix this?

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys! I just updated my switch to Atm 1.4 and OFW 15.01, my card game keeps asking for a update and since I don't connect it to the wifi I cannot play games on the cartridge. I already did the setup on stratopheres.ini and hekate_ini to set nogc=0 but it's not working. The card is recognized but asks for an update even on the latest firmware, what to do to fix this?
This was all working before you updated?

What firmware version were you at before?

Certain firmware levels will require that you upgrade the GC if you want to continue using it.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tbh, I can't remember the last time it worked. I was in 14.0, how can I upgrade the GC?

Once you’ve disable the nogc protection in /atmosphere/config/stratosphere.ini and in /bootloader/hekate_ipl.ini it should update automatically.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That still sucks, aren't you using USB2.0??

With my USB-C card reader tinfoil says slightly above 40MB\s, which is still far from the 80+MBs but still double of that gold leaf when using USB to PC.
Actually I just test it, because you got me wondering also... (Both test with Goldleaf), I get around 50mb/s on a External SSD hybrid drive, hooked to the Switch dock usb, But I only get around 20mb/s on PC with Goldleaf (Quark.jar) which is so weird because my PC has True SSD and USB 3.0. I've tried different usb-c cables, and different ports on PC also, same results.
I may try that nxloader thing with Goldleaf, see if that matters.
It's not a big deal to me, I click install and walk away, but I was just more curious as to why. :grog:

Reactions: guily6669

MrDeaan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The first vid looks absolutely correct. It should flash purple, stick on green, and then boot up CFW. Perfect.

The second vid looks like none of that is working and the switch just blows by everything and boots like normal.

We can't see the LEDs while you are booting in each scenario so I'm thinking something is loose in the chip install that connects enough to work properly at times but when whatever it is shakes loose it just boots normally.

Please do a few rounds of LED watching and observe the exact behavior when it does not work and boots directly into OFW.

it was so fast in the video that I'm gambling the LEDs are not flashing at all.

Let us know!

Yeah so basically I’ve got a couple vids of it still doing the same thing unfortunately don’t have the screwdrivers needed to take it apart so hopefully you can just about see it in the videos I’ve taken, it seems to flash purple about 10 times and then flashed green really fast and boots into ofw.

Game_Boy_Adv-Ace-nced

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh nice!

based on the comments in the template file:

Code:
[hbl_config]
; Program Specific Config
; Up to 8 program-specific configurations can be set.
; These use `program_id_#`, `override_address_space_#`, and `override_key_#`
; where # is in range [0,7].
; program_id_0=010000000000100D
; override_address_space=39_bit
; override_key_0=!R

; Any Application Config
; Note that this will only apply to program IDs that
; are both applications and not specified above
; by a program specific config.
; override_any_app=true
; override_any_app_key=R
; override_any_app_address_space=39_bit
; path=atmosphere/hbl.nsp

[default_config]
; override_key=!L
; cheat_enable_key=!L

You followed the pattern in the first stanza and repeated it for two iterations. As long as R is NOT pressed for Album or CBNST it will launch HBMenu. Pressing R on any other title will also get you to HBMenu based on the next stanza. Succinct and to the point. Thanks!

Code:
[hbl_config]
Program Specific Config
program_id_0=010000000000100D
override_address_space=39_bit
override_key_0=!R
program_id_1=0100D1B006744000
override_address_space=39_bit
override_key_1=!R

Any Application Config
override_any_app=true
override_any_app_key=R
override_any_app_address_space=39_bit
path=atmosphere/hbl.nsp

[default_config]
override_key=!L
cheat_enable_key=!L

I think there should be a ; before the comments “Program Specific Config” and ”Any Application Config”.
Just saw your update that ^THIS^ is actually the part that is necessary to make things work properly.

Wow! Nice find!

I still don’t understand the 30_bit piece, but if it works, it works!
[

last update on this:

I don’t believe you need to uncomment “Program Specific Config” and ”Any Application Config”
…they are just comments

this is my exact config file and it works perfectly.
Oh, really? Huh, that's weird. Because doing it the way I had it was the only way I managed to get it to work. Though like I said, I didn't understand how any of this was supposed to work. In fact, I still don't, lol! It just took a lot of trial-and-error to get to that point...

I honestly did have it the way you've got it at one point, but it still didn't seem to work. I wonder what I doing wrong? Maybe the exclusion of "path=atmosphere/hbl.nsp" had something to do with it...

But Thank You for showing me how it's supposed to look! I'll have to test that out and keep it in mind if something were to go wrong with my current override_config so I can use it as backup!

Last edited by Game_Boy_Adv-Ace-nced,
Reactions: binkinator

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually I just test it, because you got me wondering also... (Both test with Goldleaf), I get around 50mb/s on a External SSD hybrid drive, hooked to the Switch dock usb, But I only get around 20mb/s on PC with Goldleaf (Quark.jar) which is so weird because my PC has True SSD and USB 3.0. I've tried different usb-c cables, and different ports on PC also, same results.
I may try that nxloader thing with Goldleaf, see if that matters.
It's not a big deal to me, I click install and walk away, but I was just more curious as to why. :grog:
I can't say I care much either, but that's very intriguing for sure, thanks for the info:grog:

I also wonder why it has crappy speeds if the USB-C port can clearly read faster despite far from amazing...

Reactions: BigOnYa

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it safe at all to use JKSV/Checkpoint on sysnand to back up saves of legally acquired games? (Like cartridge or EShop)?
Ever increasing shades of grey.

100% pure Nintendo is the only safe way to do things.

Install Atmosphere alone is pretty safe based on folks running it for years w/o a ban.
(but add an installer and drop an NSP on there and you’re a goner.)

JKSV is used by many to transfer saves w/o issues.
(but use it to cheat in an online game or give yourself an illegal character, etc., etc. and you’re through.)

Bottom Line: all the stuff we’re doing is detectable if yiu connect to the Ninty servers and if Ninty decides they’ve had enough they can change their rules at any time.

if you’re just transfering some odd single player game save from Emunand to Sysnand…you’re probably ok (but never 100% safe)

Reactions: AngryCinnabon

AngryCinnabon

Resident Iron Valiant
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Canada
Ever increasing shades of grey.

100% pure Nintendo is the only safe way to do things.

Install Atmosphere alone is pretty safe based on folks running it for years w/o a ban.
(but add an installer and drop an NSP on there and you’re a goner.)

JKSV is used by many to transfer saves w/o issues.
(but use it to cheat in an online game or give yourself an illegal character, etc., etc. and you’re through.)

Bottom Line: all the stuff we’re doing is detectable if yiu connect to the Ninty servers and if Ninty decides they’ve had enough they can change their rules at any time.

if you’re just transfering some odd single player game save from Emunand to Sysnand…you’re probably ok (but never 100% safe)
Thank you for the response, haven't used a modded Switch in ages so I'm relearning things.

Last edited by AngryCinnabon,
Reactions: binkinator

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
i have a question (didnt know where to ask .sorry if its the wrong place). but is someone doing repairs on switches ? my sd card reader is dead and i tried to replace it, but it still doesnt work. i am not sure if my motherboard is damaged or not. i dont have tools either for such cases.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a question (didnt know where to ask .sorry if its the wrong place). but is someone doing repairs on switches ? my sd card reader is dead and i tried to replace it, but it still doesnt work. i am not sure if my motherboard is damaged or not. i dont have tools either for such cases.

You needs to take photo of the connector on the board for us to tell you any issue, if it missing pins you need to solder wires, if the connector is dead you can try another flex SD card connector.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah so basically I’ve got a couple vids of it still doing the same thing unfortunately don’t have the screwdrivers needed to take it apart so hopefully you can just about see it in the videos I’ve taken, it seems to flash purple about 10 times and then flashed green really fast and boots into ofw.
Oh wow. The vids are great. That pattern looks like a near-perfect boot. I can't think of any reason that wouldn't boot to CFW, especially since it is successful sometimes.

Does anyone else have ideas on what might be causing this intermittent boot to OFW instead of CFW?

Reactions: MrDeaan

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You needs to take photo of the connector on the board for us to tell you any issue, if it missing pins you need to solder wires, if the connector is dead you can try another flex SD card connector.
ok then i am sure some pins may be dead. tried 2 replacement reader and nothing worked. i take a pic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    @Karma177 that sd card is 100% faulty so yes, its a bad idea
    even the slowest non-sdhc sd cards are a few MB/s
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really think it's faulty (pasted 40/50gb+ folders and no write errors)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: @The Real Jdbye it hasn't given me any error trying to write things on it so I don't really...