SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. PR3D4TOR

PR3D4TOR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2011
    Australia
    1) So is there currently NO way if i get the newest switch to run a CFW on it for some rom hacking mods?
    2) The RCM loader works with newest firmware but only with some serial number versions and not with the new hardware revision?
    3) mind blown

---

ok just could get a Switch with FW 9.0.1 and the serial number like that: XAJ40017955xxx

According to the serial checker sites it is "safe". Does that mean i could do anything with it regarding CFW?

Last edited by PR3D4TOR, Nov 19, 2019
  2. Spacedeer

Spacedeer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2019
    China
    Hi, here goes my question: I am running on auto-rcm (meaning everytime i shut switch off, I just need to use a usb-type-c to restart the system), how do I update my firmware (which is now 8.1.0) to 9.0.1? Do I need to delete my SD card and download latest atmosphere, go thru all that charade, or I just need update to 9.0.1 using choi?

Last edited by Spacedeer, Nov 19, 2019
  3. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    No because the traces of the .NSP will remain even if you don't go online while running it. To not get banned just don't hack. Majority of bans are due to using CFW & homebrew.

Its more important that the console is unpatched rather than what firmware it is running because unpatched consoles can be hacked irrespective of firmware.

Untitled Goose Game seems like it requires firmware 9.X

1. Correct
    2. The exploit used by the RCM Loader has nothing to do with firmware. It only works with consoles that have an exploitable hardware namely unpatched units
    3. As long as the console is unpatched, it can be hacked regardless of its firmware and the exploit cannot be patched out unless you send it back to Nintendo for whatever reason
    Actually you have to do both. Updating the firmware does not update the CFW and in order to update the CFW, you need the latest CFW on your SD card. If you do not already have the latest CFW files on your SD card, my best practice is to delete everything except the Nintendo folder and the switch folder then place the new CFW files on the card. To update your firmware is as easy as running the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX (along with downloading the firmware files elsewhere).

Sicklyboy and PR3D4TOR like this.
  4. MusicallyInspired

MusicallyInspired Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2017
    Canada
    So I used this guide instead and now it works. I guess the nh-server guide is out of date or faulty in some way. So no worries here.

5. PR3D4TOR

PR3D4TOR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2011
    Australia
    Thank you very much. My console which i am about to buy tomorrow is unpatched, so i am good to go.

Draxzelex likes this.
  6. Spacedeer

Spacedeer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2019
    China
    Thanks for your swift reply, I do appreciate it. Just one more follow up question: Does the fact that my switch is on auto-rcm somehow messes with the updating business? I mean, auto or non-auto, does it have any bearings on updating the firmware as far as the updating procedures are concerned?

Last edited by Spacedeer, Nov 19, 2019
  7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    AutoRCM does not affect system updates however system updates can affect AutoRCM. If you update normally, AutoRCM will be removed. If you update while in CFW or with ChoiDujour/ChoiDujourNX, AutoRCM will remain.

8. Spacedeer

Spacedeer Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2019
    China
    Thanks for the clarification. One last question: I just checked and found that I am running on 0.9.4 ams. Does this mean I can simply download firmware 9.0.1 and use ChoiDujourNX to update because the latest atmosphere cfw is none other than 0.9.4 ams?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes

10. galneon

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    Another AutoRCM concern... I remember in the past seeing a config file in the root of my SD card which held the switch for AutoRCM. I'm on 8.1.0 using ReinX and just noticed that file is no longer there. The system still uses AutoRCM, so I guess something changed in how AutoRCM is set.

I need to switch over to Atmosphere while ensuring I preserve AutoRCM so my fuses aren't burnt. How do I ensure that when transitioning I don't accidentally switch out of AutoRCM and blow my fuses? How is the setting stored?

11. mc-kiler

mc-kiler GBAtemp Regular

Jan 1, 2015
    Finland
    I fail to see any advantage of autorcm when sleep mode exists.

12. HoTsHoTz79

HoTsHoTz79 GBAtemp Regular

May 9, 2018
    Canada
    is there any way to hide a game? or possibly change the icon of it?

like if i dont want "Dead or Alive Xtreme 3" to show up (or show up as another game's icon like "Troll And I")

Asking for a friend, ofcourse

I know i can do LayeredFS, but then DLCs wont work.

13. galneon

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    Ok, but how can I ensure I don't end up with a clean boot, blowing my fuses, after switching from ReinX to Atmosphere?

14. Justerino

Justerino Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2019
    United States
    Hi, hope I'm in the right place for this-

I'm currently having trouble importing cheats for Sword and Shield. I made sure it was the correct TID, in the right file path and was an appropriate file size but when I go to edizon the codes do not exist. Even after FTPing them to my switch they seem to disappear. If anyone can help out that'd be great.

15. galneon

galneon GBAtemp Regular

Jul 9, 2006
    United States
    I made the switch to Atmosphere and seem to still have AutoRCM active. I'm still not sure where the setting is stored.

How does sleep mode render AutoRCM obsolete, @mc-kiler? I rarely update and have missed something if additional safety mechanisms are in Atmosphere which prevent fuses from burning without the benefit of AutoRCM preventing clean boots.

16. Nissegotski

Nissegotski Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2019
    Sweden
    I honestly don't care about anything on the console, I just want to make it moded again afterwards and update to latest firmware. Do I need to uninstall my EmuNAND before restoring and what is the best way to factory reset the switch for being easy to mod again afterwards?

17. lonewolf08

lonewolf08 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 4, 2016
    United States
    Oh, thank you very much. It was my understanding that in order to use deja vu, at 3.0.1, I had to fiddle with the pins. if that's not the case then I'll probably attempt to do it this weekend.

Draxzelex likes this.
  18. Nissegotski

Nissegotski Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2019
    Sweden
    I've also found a folder on the micro sd thats called backup, is that anything I need to factory reset?

19. AndreGalvez

AndreGalvez Member

Newcomer
    Jul 23, 2017
    Mexico
    What about running XCI with SX OS?

20. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy #JOYCONBOYZFOREVER

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Indeed. Updated emuMMC to 9.1.0 and now the game works.

But now both of my joycons don't work in HBMenu. They do work inside of other homebrew once loaded, and as well as games. Touch screen controls work inside of HBMenu. Really weird.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted