SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. silverpalm

silverpalm Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2012
    hi all my switch is on 6.1 do i need to update to 7.1 for newer titles or is 6.1 good enough for all had a few issues yesterday also runiing earlish goldleaf

if i update to 7.1 via choidujurnx when the switch restarts after update it will have autorcm on can i turn this off,i use a jig and not pc to send (if that helps)
    also the lastest firmware 8.0 thats almost done apart sig patchs is this right or will a way off yet
    thank you for any advice

2. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron
    pLaYeR^^ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Some games already require 7.0.1, that's why it's not useless to update. You can turn off autoRCM during the update process with ChoiDujourNX. Keep in mind that you shouldn't do that if you care about not burning fuses (One accidentally boot in OFW without custom payload will burn fuses of your switch up to 7.0.1). Also autoRCM only replaces the need of a jig but you still need to inject a payload somehow. Doesn't matter if its a computer, smartphone or dongle. There are already sigpatches out for 8.0.0 but why do you want to update there? Many homebrew applications are broken for now and no games require 8.0.0 yet.

silverpalm likes this.
  3. OrGoN3

OrGoN3 GBAtemp Addict

Apr 23, 2007
    United States
    I noticed the latest es patches for the latest version of Kosmos, v12.1, are only around 4KB zipped, and do not come with the FS patches (previous zips were around 12KB). Are they no longer needed in 12.1 or do I use the old patches and the new patches combined?

And since there is an issue running older games, can I just drag'n'drop the latest nightly commit of atmosphere into my Kosmos directory and have everything work? The only thing I didn't know where to put were the sysmodules, as Kosmos now uses nsp sysmodules and it seems atmosphere only provides .kip still? ::confused::

4. nutsack

nutsack Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2018
    United States
    Do you have a second controller connected? I was wondering wtf when I couldn't get into the homebrew launcher from the joycons on my Switch yesterday to install something and it turns out it was because I already had my Pro Controller connected. So with it connected I could only get into the homebrew launcher by holding R and selecting the album on the Pro Controller. Later with the Pro Controller disconnected I could again use the joycons to get into the homebrew menu.

Last edited by nutsack, Apr 23, 2019
  5. DrDoctor

DrDoctor Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Can any CFW bypass the cart slot firmware restriction?
    For example, a <3.0.0 CFW using a >4.0.0 slot.

6. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Use SX OS Emunand if you want to stay on lower firmware and emulate another nand that you can update the firmware.

DrDoctor likes this.
  7. DrDoctor

DrDoctor Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I see, thanks.
    I kinda wanted to use my (unpatched) Switch normally but still preserve stuff that wouldn't completely cut me off from most mods it in the long distant future.

8. Val2a

Val2a Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2019
    Spain
    I don't think that it is the problem, I only use my joycons :/

EDIT: Ok, I reinstalled atmosphere with my right joycon attached to the switch and now it works somehow, but when I turn off the switch, atmosphere dissapear. What is going on?

Last edited by Val2a, Apr 23, 2019
  9. silverpalm

silverpalm Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2012
    i updated to 7.1 with choidujurnx and i put on all the new files for the sd fpr my dongle .it boots in to atmosphere then i have a issue installing xci or nsp but im in custom firmware i also added the patch files
    any ideas anyone
    thank you

i update goldleaf and it worked but i still have a title that wont install i wonder does it need more than 7.1

Last edited by silverpalm, Apr 23, 2019
  10. ssssss13

ssssss13 GBAtemp Regular

Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Can I dump my keys at any moment or do I need in the same firmware as the nand backup?

I mean I have a 4.1 nand backup and no burn fuses, can I get my keys from CFW 6.2, where I currently stand, or are different?

11. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    You can get your key anytime you want as long you can boot into Lockpick_RCM, it generate keys up to the firmware you are on, if you want masterkey 7 you can either look for it online or update your firmware via choidujourNX, then run lockpick_rcm.

12. angelo_

angelo_ Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2019
    Brazil
    Hello, guys.

I'm getting my first Switch. I only intend to play original games and installing retroarch/emulator and nothing more hacking than this.
    I have read the "Ultimate Noob Guide for Hacking your Nintendo Switch" and I want to know how I can make the minimal hacking and how easily this will make me get a ban

Thanks in advance.

13. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Bewdley, UK
    I know that going online with a hacked switch is a massive no no. But are they perfectly fine for system to system link play? Will they play fine with each other? And will a modded switch play local wireless play perfectly fine with a normal non hacked switch?

14. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    Install Atmosphere: https://guide.sdsetup.com. If you use your switch online, you will be very likely banned.

angelo_ likes this.
  15. angelo_

angelo_ Member

Newcomer
    Apr 23, 2019
    Brazil
    Let me see if I understood this: with SX OS I can boot my original firmware and another emunand firmware, right? Even with offline SX OS for retroarch and sysnand online for normal gameplay I will still be banned?

16. pLaYeR^^

pLaYeR^^ Doctor Switch

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Sep 18, 2014
    Austria
    Austria
    No, if you keep SysNAND clean without CFW your safe for now. No one has been banned for that afaik. Clean SysNAND for online and EmuNAND for offline CFW.

Last edited by pLaYeR^^, Apr 23, 2019
    angelo_ likes this.
  17. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Bewdley, UK
    So everything has been going swimmingly so far. I tried out the freeshop app thing for the switch and now im greeted with the message on my homescreen of "ready to start system update" which i assume means my switch has downloaded the latest firmware even though I thought I had that blocked. Ive not installed it yet or dont even dare power down incase i cant stop it. Am I screwed?

18. Drobbo84

Drobbo84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I can't get the homebrew menu to boot. What and where do i put the file on the sd card. I'm on 7.0.1

19. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Guru

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Hold R while pressing A.

20. Drobbo84

Drobbo84 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Never had to do that before