1. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Australia
    follow this, run the test first
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-dns-server-for-blocking-all-nintendo-servers.516234/

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    First you need to understand the difference between CFW and the exploit. Nintendo can and will never be able to patch out the ability to enter RCM or send payloads; these are features of the exploit that rely on the hardware of the console. This can only change with another hardware revision such as the ipatched units. CFW on the other hand is software specific meaning it needs to be regularly updated to keep up with new firmware updates meaning Nintendo can easily push a new system firmware that breaks CFW.

Now how they did this was by embedding a key that decrypts the firmware in the TSEC. Before 6.2, all of the keys were stored in the NAND meaning hackers could easily dump them since the exploit gives us full access to the NAND. However starting with 6.2, Nintendo hid the keys in TSEC which the current bootrom exploit gives 0 access to. Without these keys, CFW cannot decrypt the firmware in order to patch and launch it.

Luckily hackers were able to dump the keys within hours of 7.0 dropping. But the way to dump such keys is not public because if it was, Nintendo would immediately patch it just like they did. And providing these keys is illegal so if they were found to be even leaked online, it may put their real lives into jeopardy as very few people are capable of dumping these keys. Also these keys are not console-specific as the only console-specific keys are the biskeys so in the event they were shared, anybody can use them.

Eventually all CFW will support firmware 7.0. In fact, some have shown they have made progress so it may not be that much longer but its anyone's guess when support will actually drop. If I had to make a bet, Atmosphere will most likely be the first CFW to support 7.0. But regardless of which one is the first to announce they work on this firmware, no CFW will be allow to you safely edit your save file without a ban; editing your save file and a ban are mutually exclusive. And lastly, if you want to enable online play while blocking system updates, I think your only choice is to use the Switchbru DNS settings.

DiabloFan42069 likes this.
  3. DiabloFan42069

Newcomer

United States
    Sweet! That helps a lot. I guess my best option is to wait. I don't wanna do any version downgrades. You said "editing your save file and a ban are mutually exclusive", did you mean "safely editing your save file and a ban are mutually exclusive"? Like, you will mostly liked get banned if you edit. If that's what you meant, then why is that? I thought I could use CFW to edit a little bit then revert back to OFW and play like normal?

4. sewer_cat

sewer_cat Newbie
    Newcomer

United States
    My switch is on 4.1.0 and I've never done any hacking. I just got a legit copy of Super Smash Bros that I want to play online with family, but I want to retain the option of the 4.1.0 cold boot exploit. I don't care about homebrew or piracy at the moment, but I will on June 15th.

Here is my plan:

1. Nand backup of current virgin fw 4.1.0
    2. Update to 7.0 without burning fuses.
    3. Install AutoRCM so I don't boot OFW and burn fuses.
    3. Play online?

Will the fact that I have to use AutoRCM to boot 7.0 without burning fuses cause an instant ban if I play legit carts online? Do fuses even matter for the 4.1.0 trustzone exploits?

Am I missing something? Is this the right/safe plan?

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    There is no way to safely edit your save file; editing the save file can only be done with homebrew so as soon its been tampered with, its only a matter of time until Nintendo realizes what has been done.

When you update without burning fuses, AutoRCM gets automatically enabled so you don't have to manually enable it. Also I updated without burning fuses to firmware 6.2 when it was the latest firmware and I haven't been banned yet (knocks on wood) so it will not lead to an insta-ban. But fuses do matter for Trustzone exploits because if your fuses are burnt, then you would have to use another exploit like Fusee Gelee to bypass the fuse check to utilize said Trustzone exploits which defeats the purpose of utilizing the Trustzone exploits (because you would be using another exploit to take advantage of the Trustzone exploit totaling 2 exploits).

DiabloFan42069 and sewer_cat like this.
  6. Zdobuzdo

Zdobuzdo Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I need help:). In a case of "beeing away" from switch for 15 days, what to do then, battery will be drained completelly, am i wrihgt? I leave it in sleep mode, but its too much days, it will be in crm mode in 9-10 days, i guess. Sx os 2.52 and 5.1

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  7. JustKasto

JustKasto Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Hello, i want to know something about the SD format. I have never used an exfat format on the switch, but i have read that in order to make the nand backup u need it as exfat. Also, ive read that the first time u insert an exfat sd on the switch, it has to download something to recognize it. So my question is: Should i insert the sd on the switch before i make the nand backup? (Ill use Fat32 format later to play games)
    Thank you in advance!

8. Adran_Marit

Australia
    You can back up your nand in hekate to you exfat sd card without the update, then format to fat32 and go again :)

JustKasto likes this.
  9. jringo718

jringo718 Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I was wondering what the safest way to use the tinfoil FTP feature was, as my Switch has not gone online and has no wifi setup since I did a factory reset and hacked it.

I've heard going online even once updates the update database, and games that wouldn't require a forced update, start forcing it.

10. Adran_Marit

Australia
    USB install is also a valid option but for FTP I recommend 90dns. Don't forget to run the tester first though :)

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I think the console can last 15 days in sleep mode but don't quote me on that. Anyway, if the battery is drained completely whether in sleep mode or RCM, you can always recharge the console.

12. Zdobuzdo

Zdobuzdo Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Thanks for answer. For me is 10 % per day, its about 10 days aproximately in sleep mode. When you tell recharg the console that mean put to charger for exmple 1 hour and that will be fine, is it correct?

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Yeah an hour should be plenty of time for it to have enough battery to boot up.

14. JustKasto

Newcomer

I have some original games, but i want to play some DLCs downloaded from the net. Do i need to install the hacked game to play the dlcs? or can i play the DLCs with the original game?
    TY

15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    DLC works regardless of the format of the game or if you own it. Just ensure you are using a CFW that supports piracy such as ReiNX, SX OS, or Kosmos.

16. JustKasto

Newcomer

Oh i understand. Atmosphere doesnt support it?

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    Vanilla Atmosphere does not. It needs special patches in order to support piracy which can be downloaded from here. If you are using Atmosphere and have already downloaded the patches, there is no need to redownload them.

JustKasto likes this.
  18. erk

erk Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Hi All- had a recent scare thinking I lost my 5.1 nand backup on my PC. Luckily I was able to recover it!

I have a question about the files: there are 7 individual full00.bin, full01.bin (etc)files, along with boot0 and boot1 files. Do the full.bin files combine to make the rawnand.bin file? they are all 3.99 GB except the last one, which is smaller. Just wanting to confirm that perhaps this happened because I made the backup before I had exfat support so the rawnand.bin file got split up? I'm not 100% sure if I had gotten the exfat support before or after I made the backup.

Thanks all, esp. Draxlezex who helped me on a prior issue!

19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

United States
    I don't know of any CFW that dumps the NAND in 7 parts. Did you use SX OS by chance? The NAND is 29.1 GB so 7 x 4 (rounded up from 3.99) makes 28 GB which when combined with the last part should be around 1.1 GB to bring the total to 29.1 GB.

Anyway, assuming everything above is correct, the individual files should combine back into one 29.1 GB file named rawnand.bin

XaneTenshi likes this.
  20. erk

erk Member
    Newcomer

United States

Great- thanks! Yes, I misspoke, there are actually 8 files which should add up as you suggested to 29.1. I did use SX.

Here's to hoping that I never need them!

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - questions, PARADISE, SWITCH