SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

epickid37 Nov 1, 2017.

1. DaveC1964

DaveC1964 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2013
    United States
    Why is that? Is the Switch unhackable permanently or do the ones doing the CFW not care to do one? Leaving in sleep mode is no good option because then you need to babysit the battery. The tethering is a serious PITA too. I also don't care about online so that isn't an issue.

Last edited by DaveC1964, Jan 16, 2019
  2. LuigiSuperStarSaga

LuigiSuperStarSaga GBAtemp Regular

Feb 23, 2018
    Brazil
    Is 90DNS working right now?

3. Bluestrk

Bluestrk Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    United States
    Okay so I was on OFW 1.0.0 only showing 1 fuse blown.. perfectly fine.
    Installed SXOS 2.5.2 but every time I booted to CFW.. it would make it to the dashboard and crash with an error 2254-0006. So i only assumed some issue with 1.0.0 and SXOS 2.5.2 must be amuck. So rebooted back into SXOS Config and made me a emuNAND and enabled it.. was still unable to boot without crashing to error..

Went and found an older version of SXOS 2.2 that allowed me to boot..( keep in mind I enabled emuNAND on 2.5.2) so I booted up on SXOS 2.2 on OFW sysnand.. great! So I ran through choiDujourNX to update to 6.20.. enabled AutoRCM.. rebooted and could not get back into the OS. Come to find out I choiDujourNX updated my OFW to 6.20.. because when I loaded up 2.2 instead of 2.5.2 the emuNAND did not stay in effect..(didn't notice)... so started messing around and probably turned off AutoRCM booted OFW 6.20 burning all 8 fuses!

That being said.. everything works fine like that.. and I can actually choiDujourNX update my FW from 1.0.0 all the way up to 6.20 and back down as I choose.. Though I thought burning fuses means I cant downgrade? Please explain this situation I have got myself into lol.

Also before i did anything I made a complete Hekate nand backup including BIS keys.. the works.. I got everything clean.. Just curious what options I still have to retaining 1.0.0 CFW in the event coldboot comes about.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Should be, yes. You can test it yourself. The instructions are in the thread.
    Fuses prevent downgrades. Once burnt, they cannot be undone without performing micro soldering (these pins are smaller than bacteria) or replacing the motherboard of the Switch.

5. jackirate

jackirate Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2016
    This worked great, thank you.

When i start a game im getting a message saying the system needs to update even though my emunand is on fw 6.2?

Is this solved by finding a game update and installing it via tinfoil also?

6. jacopastorius

jacopastorius GBAtemp Regular

Oct 24, 2018
    Italy
    Got it, you're defintely right. But can you please explain why one needs to update twice to have exfat support?

7. Wamboniga

Wamboniga Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    Germany
    Hey guys I hope you can help me :)

I did a clean backup of my 5.1.0 switch and then updated to 6.2.0 with choidujournx.
    When moving files on my Computer I accidentally deleted my backup.
    Is there any safe (I know nothing is 100% safe) method to downgrade and do a clean Backup again?
    There were no exfat drivers installed since there hasn't been a sdcard in my switch before I started hacking it.
    Also I didn't install any games yet, but I've been using homebrew (choidujournx, Lockpick).

Thanks in advance and hello gbatemp community (this is my first post :))

8. Chickenhat

Chickenhat Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2015
    Hi everyone!

I just got a hackable Switch unit on fw version 4.1.0 and I am just wondering whether or not to update it to 6.2.0. I have already ordered my payload injector dongle and am waiting for it to arrive.

I want to use it to play my back-ups, but I also want to buy some digital-only games and play other official games online.
    Should I update normally or should I use something like ChoiDujourNX, because as far I heard using that updates the console without burning fuses, thus gives the ability for a downgrade, right?

What are my advantages on 4.1.0 as compared to 6.2.0?

I don't mind waiting for the dongle, but if the only way to play online is on the latest firmware what is the reason for staying on 4.1.0?
    Can ChoiDujourNX update my firmware to 6.2.0 (and give me access to the e-shop and online play) without burning fuses?

9. aFrenchGeek

aFrenchGeek Member

Newcomer
    Oct 23, 2018
    France
    "If your SysNAND is currently not clean but you do have a clean SysNAND, you should restore that prior to going online. When you do that should be before you setup EmuNAND because EmuNAND writes to boot1 which is a part of your NAND backup meaning you should also be restoring that (unless your current firmware matches the firmware of your NAND backup)."

So how do i proceed to restore my Nand using SXOS ?

Do i have to erase everything on my SD card and just simply put the latest version of SXOS and use Hektake in RCM mode to restore my Clean NAND ?

Then, i'll create an SDEmunand and then put my previous files back on my microSD card correct ?

10. Wamboniga

Wamboniga Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2019
    Germany

The only way to play online is to NOT use CFW. Either get a second switch or stay offline.
    You will get banned for sure.

11. Squalexy

Squalexy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2018
    Portugal
    Nope

12. GATWYAY3.2

GATWYAY3.2 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2015
    United States
    oh okay just wonder because a person i follow on YT had battery de-syncing issues after using linux, thats when your switch randomly shuts off even with a full charged battery. he fixed it by unplugging the switch battery and holding down the power button for 15sec.

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If it says software update, that is a game update. If it says system update, the only possible scenario I can envision is that there was a pending system update for your SysNAND before you created EmuNAND which got carried over. Yes, you can get pending system updates if you are already on 6.2 if you updated offline but connected the console online at any point before updating.

Since Nintendo doesn't provide exFAT support in their console, it has to be downloaded separately. And you can only trigger this download if your firmware doesn't currently support exFAT. Furthermore, if your firmware already supports exFAT, you can only update officially to the non-exFAT version of the latest firmware. An example will help illustrate.

Say you are on firmware 5.1 with exFAT and the latest firmware is still 6.2. If you update officially to 6.2, you will be updated to 6.2 without exFAT and now that the firmware doesn't support exFAT, you have to insert an exFAT formatted SD card to get the exFAT update prompt to add exFAT support to your firmware 6.2. However if you are on firmware 5.1 without exFAT support, you can just insert an exFAT formatted SD card to get the exFAT update prompt which will not only give you exFAT support but put you on the latest firmware.

So to recap, you have to update twice to get exFAT on the latest firmware if you are currently a firmware with exFAT support. If you are running a firmware without exFAT support, then you can update once to be on the latest firmware with exFAT support. Meaning if you're going to be regularly using exFAT, you are going to be updating twice most of the time.
    Nope.

Sure I guess. Not sure why you don't just send Hekate as a payload instead of SX OS unless you don't have a USB-C cable. Even with only the SX Pro, you can just download the boot.dat for SX Gear and rename Hekate to payload.bin so the SX Pro loads automatically into Hekate.

Anyway, in case you don't know if your current firmware doesn't match the dump of your boot0/boot1, you can just restore those along with your rawnand as long as the boot0/boot1 match with the corresponding rawnand. If you don't even know if they match, then you better start keeping better track of your backups.

14. Outlawbiker

Outlawbiker Member

Newcomer
    Jan 19, 2017
    United States
    i just got my switch set up with SX OS and EmuNAND ( and exfat 400GB card). As a test i used 3 xci's to understand how it works and in the future how to use them and they work fine, however when i try to add any new xci's it causes an error, i dont remember what they were,but it was 2 different ones and this time when i try to reproduce the error i dont get a code, all i get is "The game card could not be read,please remove it and reinsert it".

Last edited by Outlawbiker, Jan 16, 2019
  15. GATWYAY3.2

GATWYAY3.2 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 28, 2015
    United States
    on that subject, is there such a thing as malicious XCI files ? no right because nothing is being installed u just load them from the sd

16. jackirate

jackirate Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2016
    I just double checked it says software update.

What file am I looking for for the game update. Is it a .nro again? And would it be installed via tinfoil again?

17. CobraX83

CobraX83 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 13, 2015
    United States
    @Draxzelex I tried following a tutorial in order to update my Smash Bros to the latest 1.2.1 firmware but ran into a issue where the game will get stuck at loading. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled Smash Bros 1.0 NSP......when I go to boot the game it prompts me for a software update which it never used to do. I am on 5.1 and was curious if you know what the issue may be? I am thinking it is the 1.2.1 update is still installed even though I deleted the game etc.....any clue if this may be the issue and how to go about deleting the update / fixing the game to launch again. THANK you for any help!

Last edited by CobraX83, Jan 16, 2019
  18. Squalexy

Squalexy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 18, 2018
    Portugal
    So, this switch problem came back again - it turns off suddenly for no reason. This is how I can fixe it everytime:

Is there any way to know how to fix this issue permanently? I don't know for how long I'm gonna be lucky :lol:

19. jackirate

jackirate Member

Newcomer
    Dec 7, 2016
    Answered it myself but thanks mate.

-

Does anyone know where the .nro file is located on the SD card once you use tinfoil to install it? (Usb) - Im just curious i cant seem to find any of the files that i have installed?

20. ImSoHandsome

ImSoHandsome Member

Newcomer
    Sep 9, 2018
    Canada
    Last edited by ImSoHandsome, Jan 17, 2019
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted