SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. SilvaZoldyck

SilvaZoldyck Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2014
    Belgium
    Is it possible to run cfw/run backups/emulators or is it not possible on the latest firmware?

2. Ch0c0bo

Ch0c0bo Member

Newcomer
    Nov 17, 2018
    France
    Hi,
    Dumb question but when you're in AutoRCM and power off the switch within the SX OS loader, does it go back to AutoRCM or does it really power off ?

3. Chrakatoa

Chrakatoa Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hungary
    Nooby here again :)

If i want to back up my switch to an original state (current i used it with cfw 6.0.1 ReinX) how can i do that.
    I need inject hekate payload and choose my sysnand backup?

Another question, if i remove the sd card and choose this method (becouse my save files) is it work, and i get an original,clean sysnand?

https://www.howtogeek.com/308507/how-to-reset-your-nintendo-switch-without-losing-your-game-data/

Thanks for your help!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Dont upgrade to 6.2. SX OS not supported this firmware version yet. So you cant use your dongle to reach your cfw.

Only method to use 6.2 with custom firmware is Atmosphere.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If by latest firmware you mean 6.2, only Atmosphere is supported currently.
    Based on my testing, SX OS Loader doesn't properly turn off the Switch (for some odd reason) and reboots it into RCM. Their Power Off option only works if you have the SX Pro or any dongle inserted into the Switch.
    Both the ReiNX toolkit and Hekate can dump the "NAND" (gonna be using quotes to refer to the eMMC from now on since the Switch doesn't actually have a NAND). The "NAND" is comprised of 4 different partitions but one of them is unused. The 3 partitions that comprise your entire "NAND" backup are boot0, boot1, and eMMC raw GPP. The raw GPP is comprised of eMMC SYS and eMMC USER where SYS stores all of your console & save data and USER houses installed content such as games, updates, and DLC.

SD card has no affect on the "cleanliness" of the NAND.

5. Orchestra

Orchestra Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    Can I use a Sonic Mania Plus cartridge to upgrade from 4.1.0 to 5.0.2 and get exfat SD support? I have SX Os and looking for the quickest method of getting exfat support.

6. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you mean the cartridge itself, no. Cartridges don't have exFAT support on their firmwares. If you dump the firmware from Sonic Mania and install it with ChoiDujourNX, ChoiDujourNX can patch the firmware so it has exFAT support when it is installed.

7. Xana

Xana Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 2, 2016
    United States
    Does this mean that, if you had exfat support, then udpated with a cart, you would lose exfat support? Or does the cart contain both, but only give you whichever one matches your current system?

8. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    exFAT is pseudo-firmware-specific. exFAT is basically a patch to the system that gets removed automatically with every system update. Think of it like AutoRCM. Its removed by normal system updates but specialized tools can allow you to keep it when updating your firmware, namely ChoiDujour/ChoiDujourNX. In this scenario, cartridge updates are treated like system updates since Nintendo doesn't care whether you have AutoRCM or exFAT support.

9. frankadank

frankadank Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2017
    United States
    I was able to get my switch up and running via reinx and updated via choidujour.
    My question is what is hekate and how do I turn my switch off via hekate? The reinx gudie never mentioned it and I noticed since Im onauto crm it is draining a little battery when its in sleep mode.
    Also I did a full nand backup via Reinx and could not find a keys file, can someone point me where that is? The actual backup files I found did not include anything that said keys.

Last edited by frankadank, Dec 3, 2018
  10. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Hekate is a bootloader/payload. It has a multitude of functions such as managing AutoRCM, fixing battery de-syncs, dumping/restoring the NAND, etc.

Also, NAND backups don't contain keys files. You'll also have to be a bit more specific about "keys files" as there are a multitude of keys out there; console-specific, public, etc.

11. FloridaMan79

FloridaMan79 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2018
    United States
    Bought a switch for my son for Christmas not knowingly this CFW scene has picked up pretty fast already. Found a mother load magnet link full of NSP and xci files so now I'm currently dumping my brand new switch rawnand.bin on 4.1 FW before I start messing with CFW. Can anyone get me to a fast track directions where I can load these files asap. Is there a certain firmware that I need be to load newer nsp/xci files? I do not play games online at all on any consoles so besides online gaming what would I be missing if my switch gets a nintendo ban? I don't think I can instruct my 3 year old son how to boot rcm and load HB so is there any somewhat kid friendly cfw that can easily load nsp/xci files? Whats the difference between the free and paid cfw?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Theoretically, any firmware can load .XCI/.NSP files but games aren't supported on all firmwares and we don't have a way to spoof/bypass those requirements. The 2 ways of getting around those requirements involve using EmuNAND from SX OS or updating the firmware without burning fuses with the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX (fuses primarily prevent downgrading so if you update without burning them, you maintain a path for downgrading).

There are 2 types of bans, the normal bans and CDN bans. Both limit online play, eShop access, and online game updates however CDN bans prevent online system updates. CDN bans are rather rare nowadays so you will most likely incur a soft ban.

Don't know if any of the guides are "friendly" enough for a 3-year old to follow but they all use the same exploit so the process remains the same; stick jig/metal into switch, enter rcm, plug into device via USB, and send payload. This is a highly watered down version but this is how Switch hacks proceed.
    SX OS: https://sx.xecuter.com/
    ReiNX: https://reinx.guide/
    Atmosphere: https://guide.sdsetup.com/#/

As for differences between the free and paid CFW (which is just SX OS), SX OS has their own cheat engine, HDD support, and .XCI loading (free CFW also have .XCI support but they need to be installed). All CFW support .NSP files but the free ones have better compatibility with homebrew than SX OS. Lastly, SX OS offers very little customization while the free ones can be freely tailored to the user.

13. Friendly_Noob

Friendly_Noob Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    Thank goodness for this thread. I hope someone can help me with some questions.

New switch owner here and I have a dilemma. The prospect of having a hackable switch to use for emulators and other hombrew apps looks like fun but I would also like to enjoy the switch games I purchase online, mario kart, smash, fortnite etc.

My question is, can I have both worlds? My plan was to just enjoy my online fuctionality for a while then, at some stage, use a CFW for emulators. Assuming my switch isn't patched, am I right in saying that the unpatchable exploit will work on any OFW aslong as someone comes out with a CFW for that version? So for arguments sake. Say ver 7.0 comes out in a couple of months will that exploit be usable aslong as a CFW is released?

The second question I have is reverting back to my OFW when I want to go online again.

Is it just as simple as making a clean backup of NAND before installing any CFW then restoring it to go back to my OFW and online?

Sorry got the wall of text and ramblings but I hope someone can help as I don't want to update my switch if I lose all hope of losing CFW down the line.

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. Read this thread for the best way on how to avoid getting banned.
    2. Read #1

15. frankadank

frankadank Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 4, 2017
    United States
    How can I access hekate? Is it already installed standard via Reinx or do I need to install it via the homebrew store?
    Regarding keys, I wanted to use ZeroTwoXCI and was told I would need my keys and Im not sure how to access them.

16. Friendly_Noob

Friendly_Noob Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for the reply. So a NAND backup is the way to go before I start using CFW but for now, am i correct in saying a NAND backup of my 4.1 FW wouldn't do much if I updated to 6.2 to use online functionality today? I'm guessing the only benefit of having the 4.1 backup would be for downgrading purposes if a future CFW isn't possible, but is that likely? I'm not savy on how CFW is obtained.

17. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I don't know why you're not looking this up yourself because you can find Hekate right here but here you go: https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/
    As for keys, the best way to obtain those are with shchmue's fork of kezplez

18. FloridaMan79

FloridaMan79 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2018
    United States
    Thanks for reply. So I'm trying or sx os right now and it looks like my internet connection is off. It was working ok before booting into cfw. When I try to connect to my network it's saying registration is required to use this network and when I click next I get a message "a system update is required before you can proceed" should I click update? I'm using the DNS that blocks the Nintendo updates.

19. djonou

djonou Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2018
    France
    Hello there, I'd like to ask you if it's still possible to play online with my bought games desopite a hacked console.
    Of course while I am using the hack mode I won't be online.
    Thanks for the answer

20. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you click update, nothing should happen unless your system stealthily downloaded a system update.
    You can but you risk a ban by doing so.