SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

epickid37 Nov 1, 2017.

1. nightweb

nightweb GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2009
    I know I bought it back when it was firmware 4.1.0, I was just wondering so far any update the games still launch the same, but was wondering if the console was updated to 6.0 since they made all the changes would they still work or would they get disabled until they check with Nintendo ie go online? as when I was sold the console the person didn't give me the account but left the games on the console

2. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    I don't get how a firmware update would break a game. If they did, nobody would update. And I already explained how games can be launched offline with a linked Nintendo Account.

3. nightweb

nightweb GBAtemp Regular

Sep 16, 2009
    I'm just curious I don't know if it would, the previous owner bought Mario Kart from EShop, changed the password online, when I try to run game it runs, I'm just wondering as the changes to online services and the setup with primary and secondary consoles that were made in 6.0 would the console refuse to launch the game until it checked if it was a primary or secondary console, like a checking if this user can play this title kinda stuff as the switch can't access that account anymore cause I don't have the password

4. TheCyberQuake

TheCyberQuake Certified Geek

Dec 2, 2014
    United States
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    And if the primary system is playing the game the secondary system can't play it at the same time. It will pause the game on the secondary if the primary opens the game while secondary is playing

5. koyuki38

koyuki38 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 2, 2015
    France
    The story so far : i messed up with title Ids and xenoblade save does not want to load, saying (some) DLC is missing.

It seems that the DLC missing is the one free given with update 2.0 and Torna thing, because when starting a new game, it's the only thing i don't see (15 legendary cristals, and other foods item).

How can i get it ? It seems to be missing from the dlc and updates nsp.

I've not tried yet but i know i'm banned, or i definitely will be if i go online (also, i'm not on 6.0 and i still have no XP with choixdujour :P)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT :

Problem solved.
    Choixdujour saved my life alowing me to update to 6.0.3, then check files and re-download any corrupted files through official option in switch settings(it took 20 min, that was a bit long).
    For unknown reason, i 'm not super banned yet. But i did not do anything special to not be.

Now i have to possible reason why my save did not work :
    - My save could be linked with the last (not anymore) unavalable free DLC from Torna's release celebration (even if i never redeem the items in my save)
    - My save could be linked to clean DLC/updates from eshop (because that was not the 1st time i did the re-download fix) and the NSP i got theses day were incompatible.

I hope this problem would never occure again. It was a 90 hours run on a non-finished game :D

Last edited by koyuki38, Oct 15, 2018
  6. eoinzy

eoinzy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    I finally hacked my 3.0.0 Switch and followed the guide to backup my NAND.
    The guide is a little out of date so I'm not sure if I backed up everything.

Is there anywhere that says what I should have afterwards?
    I have rawnand.bin (00 - 14)
    BOOT0
    BOOT1

Then a "dumps" folder with:
    bootrom_patched.bin
    bootrom_unpatched.bin
    evp_thunks.bin
    fuses.bin
    ipatches.bin
    kfuses.bin
    tsec_keys.bin

then a "partitions" folder with:
    BCPKG2-1-Normal-Main
    BCPKG2-2-Normal-Sub
    BCPKG2-3-SafeMode-Main
    BCPKG2-4-SafeMode-Sub
    BCPKG2-5-Repair-Main
    BCPKG2-6-Repair-Sub
    PRODINFO
    PRODINFOF
    SAFE
    SYSTEM

There's a "restore/partitions" folder but its empty.

I just want to make 100% sure I have everything before I enable AutoRCM and upgrade via ChoiDuJourNX without burning fuses.

Thanks

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Honestly, you only need the rawnand (either split into parts or joined) and the boot0/boot1. The rest are optional and/or only useful for developers.

koyuki38 likes this.
  8. eoinzy

eoinzy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    i thought I needed the bis keys or something?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    For? Or did you just blindly backup everything without knowing their purpose (which is an acceptable choice)?

10. eoinzy

eoinzy Member

Newcomer
    Dec 26, 2015
    I followed the guide, which was a little out-dated with some entries in the bootloader being renamed/moved/removed, so I just backed up everything just in case.

11. Kynesor

Kynesor Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2016
    United States
    Wahoo! It's been a while, but a few months ago I did the RCM and Hekate stuff to get homebrew running. I created a clean NAND before that (I put all the files on the switch but I hadn't installed anything yet) All i did was tamper with some save files. I want to restore the clean NAND, but keep the saves. A couple of months ago there was a way to do this, but it was hella difficult and I didn't even know where to start. Is there an easier/new way to restore nand but keep saves?

12. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    You could just backup and restore the saves via a homebrew save manager such as Checkpoint or EdiZon.

13. Kynesor

Kynesor Member

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2016
    United States
    I want to use the clean NAND to un-homebrew my system and be able to go online. But by restoring the NAND I lose the saves and the ability to run checkpoint and backup or restore my saves

I found the one you sent me a few months ago, https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-transplant-savedata-system-and-user-from-other-switches.506840/

But this was way too hard for me, I didnt understand it at all so I gave up and havent touched my switch since for fear of ruining it. Just wondering if there is an easier method than this yet

Last edited by Kynesor, Oct 15, 2018
  14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Oh, that. No such tool has been invented nor have I heard any plans on anyone making such a tool.

15. MemeMachine

MemeMachine Member

Newcomer
    Jan 30, 2017
    United States
    Dipped out of switch hacking just after we got linux working, left it untouched at 3.0.0. Where do I look to find the most up-to-date info? I know Atmosphere's not finished, but people are basically beta testing it.

16. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City

17. MSco

MSco GBAtemp Regular

Nov 2, 2016
    Germany
    Thank you very much for your answers! However, I have some more questions:

1. I found guides about hacking the switch with a jig in my joycon. However, I have a day1-switch and patched it to 4.1.0. Is it possible with a 4.1.0 switch to hack it without a jig?
    If yes, where can I find a guide to do this?
    2. Is it possible (recommended?) to update a cfw only game? Or will I need to use the original game card to update it? Or shouldnt I download any updates anymore because of having a custom firmware due to a ban risk?
    3. Is there a high risk to be banned for using cfw (I think I would use reinx), even if I stick 100% exactly to the online guides?
    4. When I decide not to install any cfw right now and wait until it is maybe safer, but I would like to update my switch without burning any fuses, is there a safe way to do this (without using cfw)?

Last edited by MSco, Oct 16, 2018
  18. vree

vree GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2005
    United Kingdom

Yeah I realise that, but I'm specifically asking for someone who is for example still on firmware version 3.X. How can that person still play the latest videogames?

EDIT: also where is the info on emunand using? And how to use it? I used this method back in the days on my 3DS. And I have found some info on it for the switch but no guides?

Last edited by vree, Oct 16, 2018
  19. Adran_Marit

Adran_Marit Walküre's Hacker

Oct 3, 2015
    Australia
    42*South
    1) You still need a jig initially then you can use AutoRCM to avoid the jig, however you still need a device capable of sending the payload at this point in time

2) For future updates use the gamecard/choidujourNX (Check CFW is running on said firmware first)

3) Running any CFW presents a ban risk

4) Not without CFW. To update without burning fuses you need to either use ChoidujourNX with autorcm or be able to enter RCM mode with a jig before the nintendo bootloader runs

Update without burning fuses using ChoidujourNX and AutoRCM (this will allow downgrading)

AFAIK the only "emunand" is through SXOS 2.0 at this point in time and work by copying the sysnand into itself in another partition making it smaller rather than on a SD card

MSco likes this.
  20. davy4475

davy4475 Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hi, I'm thinking of hacking my switch. What's the worst thing that can happen, ban?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted