SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you want the simplest and bare bones approach, I would recommend updating to the latest firmware 5.1 before 6.0 comes out (which there is no ETA on) and activate the license online, although it can be activated offline. A Nintendo Account has no bearing on whether you get banned or not because the account is rarely, if never, banned and your console can get banned without a linked Nintendo Account. For future system firmware updates, they can be installed in CFW or OFW however if you get CDN banned, then you will not be able to download system firmware updates. Console bans have recently begun being upgraded to full CDN bans meaning no eShop, online play, or updates (game or system firmware) so I would be careful about getting banned if you care about downloading system updates normally. However even if you get CDN banned, you can still install firmware updates offline using ChoiDujourNX.
    They should still work on the old console unless the transfer has the side effect of disactivating the Nintendo Account on the old console.

RitchieRitchie likes this.
  2. RitchieRitchie

RitchieRitchie GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 15, 2013
    Thanks!

3. Anthraxx

Anthraxx Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2007
    United States
    Right now my Switch is on 4.1.0 natively, running ReiNX with 5.1.0. I want to connect to my wifi for local FTP transfers only. I know there's always a risk of getting banned when accessing the internet, but I wanted to check what the current best practice is for minimising the risk.

4. Sno0t

Sno0t GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I was actually just about to ask the same question...

Have updated my 4.1.0 switch to 5.1.0 using ChoidujourNX and wanted to at least access my network (for ftpd or similar stuff) And am also struggling to find a way for that ^^"

5. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Set up a DNS server to block all access to Nintendo-related URLs here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/90dns-dns-server-for-blocking-all-nintendo-servers.516234/

6. Sno0t

Sno0t GBAtemp Regular

Aug 20, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Thank you for your answer :)
    I've Seen this, but I've actually already set up my Router to block all accesses to *nintendo* wildcard adresses as I wanted to stay as independent as I could.
    Is there realy no way around this?
    Thanks in advance and Kind regards

7. 877

877 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    SXOS has stealth mode but who knows how good it is.

Sno0t likes this.
  8. zboubinou

zboubinou Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2018
    Canada
    Just to clarify :
    OFW version and CFW version are not related right? Like if you have a 4.1 switch and want a 5.1 CFW for most recent game you can just launch the CFW or you need to update (officially or with Choixdujour) first? Even with RajNX?

9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Correct, typically CFW have their own version numbers to prevent confusion amongst users from identifying it was OFW as well as acknowledging updates similar to official firmware updates. For example, the latest version of the CFW SX OS is 1.9 while it supports OFW 6.0

BATMAN-, 877 and zboubinou like this.
  10. sirelf

sirelf Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2018
    United States
    Somewhere between Xanth and Oz
    So is it possible to use ChoiDjourNX with SX OS or do the two not mix? Draxzelex I know you are a Reinx ffan, but I can't be the only SX OS person who can wants to avoid burning extra fuses but still likes SX, I have Reinx on my other switch and I suspect I will have to move Xeno 2 to it and will now hope I can get checkpoint to work long enough to get my 2nd switches save file off it and on to my reinx switch.

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Who said that I was a ReiNX fan :P

You can't run ChoiDujourNX with SX OS, but you can run SX OS after you update your firmware with ChoiDujourNX. You just won't be able to protect your GC slot from being updated with SX OS since they don't support the nogc patch. However since you can load .XCI files with an SX OS license, this is not that much of an issue.

12. sirelf

sirelf Member

Newcomer
    Jul 12, 2018
    United States
    Somewhere between Xanth and Oz
    Thank you for a straight answer!

13. 877

877 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hmm a question occurred to me, SXOS is aprox 16MB, where RajNX is 1.2MB and ReiNX is 0.7Mb (just the downloads from the developers).

How big is the Horizon OFW in comparrison I wonder?

I assumed the CFW "hijacks" the OFW or modifies/patches it on the fly. Is that correct?

14. kolosus

kolosus GBAtemp Regular

Jul 14, 2010
    United States
    How do I install games through tinfoil that are larger than 4gb since my SD is a FAT32 partition? Games like Super Mario Odyssey. BOTW etc.

15. 877

877 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    You don't. You need to update to exFAT using ChoidujourNX, it can be done without updating firmware..

16. SerGeanT

SerGeanT Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2006
    I'm new to Switch CFW, and as the first thing, I want to do a nand back-up.
    After I launch hekate via tegrarcmgui, do I need keep the USB cable plugged in during the nand back-up?

Edit: Wow, joined in 2006 and this is my first post ever. Talk about long time lurker.

Last edited by SerGeanT, Sep 7, 2018
  17. 877

877 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    You can unplug the USB cable once hekate loads...
    I always plug in charger when doing nand dump "just in case" battery runs down..

Last edited by 877, Sep 7, 2018
  18. synce

synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

Nov 5, 2009
    Comoros
    Any way to play 5.0+ games if I'm still on 4.1? If the only option is to update, is it safe to do so when prompted by the game? I'm always offline, using SX OS

19. SerGeanT

SerGeanT Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 6, 2006
    Alrighty, and thanks for the suggestion!

877 likes this.
  20. 877

877 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 8, 2017
    United Kingdom
    If you use NSP try installing using tinfoil and select ignore firmware version.

If still doesn't work then update to 5.1 using choidujournx and install autorcm in order to save the efuses. Or if you don't care about going back to 4.1 or possible future coldboot then go ahead and update via game cartridge..

synce likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted