Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Draxzelex, and maybe I am just missing something here, but my understanding is that ChoidujorNX besides specifically NOT burning the efuses, it DOES NOT update the gamecard controller component on the switch. And that is why for people using it under version 4.x firmware, have to do special things in order to be able to later downgrade to their < 4.0 firmware version.

So I want to take my 2.1.0 Switch and update it to 4.0.1 or 4.1 and have it have the gamecard controller updated in the process.

Is my ONLY option, to then get a retail card with 4.0.1 for example and flash it that way?

I was hoping there was some way to copy the extracted update folder from Bayonetta 2 (4.0.1) for example to some directory on my 2.1.0 and reboot it, and it would then update the switch to 4.0.1 which would include the gamecard controller update also.

Or am I still missing something here?

Thanks!
  • Q: I've never run firmware 4.0.0 or higher on my switch, so my gamecard controller firmware is still not updated. How do i make sure my gamecard controller works after i downgrade back to < 4.0.0 ?
  • A: When flashing the firmware image for any 4.0.0 or later firmware, ChoiDujourNX will generate a protective hekate_ipl.ini on your microsd, with a "PreventGCUpdate" launch target. You must ALWAYS boot using this launch target (or add kip1patch=nogc to any launch target you wish to use in the future) and use a Hekate that supports the kip1patch option (releases here do: https://github.com/rajkosto/hekate/releases) if you want to prevent use and updating of your GC controller firmware on firmware versions 4.0.0 and up.
After choidujourNX generates the new firmware to be flashed, it adds a line called "PreventGCUpdate". If you don't want to preserve your gamecard controller for firmwares below 4.0, simply remove this in the hekate_ipl.ini it generates afterwards and make sure you don't use any fs_whatever.kips with a nogc patch applied to them.

Reactions: crimpshrine

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex Keep up the great work! I used to hang out in the noob 3DS thread in the Gateway days and did much the same thing. Hope you can keep it up, you are a real asset here.

Been lurking the past few weeks catching up and just saw something in another thread that I hadn’t thought about and could be a problem. How are multi-users and their saves on 1 offline Switch handled with the current solutions?

We currently have 2 Switches on 5.1 from day 1 and 90 so those are fine. Recently bought a 3rd that I haven’t had a chance to test yet, but even if it is Patched I can just use one of the older ones that doesn’t have any important online game saves. Was hoping to just have 1 modded Switch we could all share, but don’t have an Android phone or dongle for reinjecting a payload if we need to shutdown and switch SD cards to handle multiple users if we are on the road. Will I need to get a mobile solution or separate SD cards? Can’t recall seeing this situation addressed. Thanks.

8BitWonder

Small Homebrew Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I already have autoRCM installed, and just cart update from 2.2.0 to 3.0.2 with Xenoblade 2 (while booted through CTCaer's hekate mod).
Would I be safe to downgrade back to 2.2.0 later with ChoiDujourNX and remove autoRCM without worrying about burnt fuses?

If it is safe to do the above, would it also be safe to update normally to 5.1.0 while booted through hekate with autoRCM, and downgrade later to 2.2.0 and remove autoRCM?

Last edited by 8BitWonder,

tommaloney

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
my understanding is that there is a program called CND** that can download games in NSP format directly from Nintendos servers, is there a tutorial for this cause this would save all the wear and tear on my game carts

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex Keep up the great work! I used to hang out in the noob 3DS thread in the Gateway days and did much the same thing. Hope you can keep it up, you are a real asset here.

Been lurking the past few weeks catching up and just saw something in another thread that I hadn’t thought about and could be a problem. How are multi-users and their saves on 1 offline Switch handled with the current solutions?

We currently have 2 Switches on 5.1 from day 1 and 90 so those are fine. Recently bought a 3rd that I haven’t had a chance to test yet, but even if it is Patched I can just use one of the older ones that doesn’t have any important online game saves. Was hoping to just have 1 modded Switch we could all share, but don’t have an Android phone or dongle for reinjecting a payload if we need to shutdown and switch SD cards to handle multiple users if we are on the road. Will I need to get a mobile solution or separate SD cards? Can’t recall seeing this situation addressed. Thanks.
I'd much prefer people post here because there's too many new threads to keep track of and you never know what type of person will respond to your request. Anyways...

If Nintendo implemented cloud saving, you wouldn't need to rely on the homebrew community XD. Saves are unfortunately stored on the console so you would need to repeatedly dump the save from one console and inject it into another so share a save among multiple Switches.
If I already have autoRCM installed, and just cart update from 2.2.0 to 3.0.2 with Xenoblade 2 (while booted through CTCaer's hekate mod).
Would I be safe to downgrade back to 2.2.0 later with ChoiDujourNX and remove autoRCM without worrying about burnt fuses?
A cart update will still burn fuses because like the official system update, it will remove AutoRCM and upon the console rebooting, fuses will be burnt.
my understanding is that there is a program called CND** that can download games in NSP format directly from Nintendos servers, is there a tutorial for this cause this would save all the wear and tear on my game carts
Not on GBATemp sadly since the ones on GBATemp are missing the required files to use them (the missing files are copyrighted material). However, the sites that do host them with the copyrighted content usually have a tutorial attached to them and these sites usually host other copyrighted material such as .XCI and .NSP files. Names of these tools to be on the lookout for include CDNSP Bob and CDNSP Doge. One of the sites that host these tools is under a Dark Umbrella.

Reactions: 8BitWonder

crimpshrine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After choidujourNX generates the new firmware to be flashed, it adds a line called "PreventGCUpdate". If you don't want to preserve your gamecard controller for firmwares below 4.0, simply remove this in the hekate_ipl.ini it generates afterwards and make sure you don't use any fs_whatever.kips with a nogc patch applied to them.

So to be 100% clear in my understanding, I just ran through ChoiDujourNX with 4.0.1 target firmware update. I am at the point that I can "Start installation". So after it installs and I reboot and then turn off my switch, if I look on the micro sd card your saying that hekate_ip.ini will have a PreventGCUpdate directive, if I remove that, (and put a fs_whatever.kips file that does NOT have nogc patch applied to it over the current one that is going to be patched) and reboot again, even though it is not part of a firmware update at that point, the switch will flash the gamecard controller to the current version and I will be at 4.0.1 with my gamecard controller up to date (as of 4.0.1) with no efuses burned. (Which I guess also means later I could downgrade back to 2.1.0, just would not be able to use the gamecard slot if I ever did decide to do that)

Thanks for all the help.

Lastorder

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Retail carts all have their own unique certificates although we don't know exactly how unique they all are, but they are unique enough for people who buy copies of the same game to be able to go online without getting banned. This means that unless you dump the certificate from your game, the certificate of your game carts will remain unique. Most, if not all, people do not dump their unique cart cert because of this as well as many other reasons. So you don't have to worry about a second cert of your cart.

As for your second question, if you use the cart+cert online with your banned console, Nintendo will know that cert is associated with a banned console. They might possibly ban the cert before or after your console is banned. But if that cert is not banned and then its used on a non-banned console, they have no reason to ban the new console unless the new console has been hacked. This is because you could easily have sold the game or lent it to someone else so its unfair for them to outright ban any consoles associated with that cert.

Thanks for your answer Draxzelex :)

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So to be 100% clear in my understanding, I just ran through ChoiDujourNX with 4.0.1 target firmware update. I am at the point that I can "Start installation". So after it installs and I reboot and then turn off my switch, if I look on the micro sd card your saying that hekate_ip.ini will have a PreventGCUpdate directive, if I remove that, (and put a fs_whatever.kips file that does NOT have nogc patch applied to it over the current one that is going to be patched) and reboot again, even though it is not part of a firmware update at that point, the switch will flash the gamecard controller to the current version and I will be at 4.0.1 with my gamecard controller up to date (as of 4.0.1) with no efuses burned. (Which I guess also means later I could downgrade back to 2.1.0, just would not be able to use the gamecard slot if I ever did decide to do that)

Thanks for all the help.
Yes, but...
You can just remove the line from the .ini file (its like a notepad doc) and continue using that .ini with Hekate. I only recommended the fs.kip file because some CFWs don't make use of an .ini file such as ReiNX.
Thanks for your answer Draxzelex :)
Your welcome :D

Reactions: crimpshrine

Orchidomegaly

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm having trouble getting some CFW to load. I seem to be getting some inconsistent results. I am able to load Hekate, but once I select a customer firmware to load I see the initial splash screen but then the screen stays blank and I have to do a hard shut down to unfreeze it. RajNx seems to load and I can access the homebrew menu. When I try but ReiNx it shows the running text followed by the splash screen but then the screen stays blank. I haven't been able to find anybody else reporting this issue. Anybody know the answer or remember where this may have been previously discussed? I am on a true stock 3.0.0 switch (as in I'm trying to run CFW right out of the box). I am using a 32 gig sd card, fat32 formatted. I'm wondering if something is going wrong with some cfw's needing exfat or something but I would rather not upgrade or go through the trouble of using Raj's no fuse upgrade thing if possible. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Draxzelex I don’t think I explained myself well. I am not wanting to share saves among Switches but have one modded offline-game only Switch for the three of us to share, keeping 2 Switches untouched for online use. Currently OFW allows multiple user accounts on one switch to keep the saves separate. Is this still possible with Rei, Raj or SX and if so how is it implemented?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm having trouble getting some CFW to load. I seem to be getting some inconsistent results. I am able to load Hekate, but once I select a customer firmware to load I see the initial splash screen but then the screen stays blank and I have to do a hard shut down to unfreeze it. RajNx seems to load and I can access the homebrew menu. When I try but ReiNx it shows the running text followed by the splash screen but then the screen stays blank. I haven't been able to find anybody else reporting this issue. Anybody know the answer or remember where this may have been previously discussed? I am on a true stock 3.0.0 switch (as in I'm trying to run CFW right out of the box). I am using a 32 gig sd card, fat32 formatted. I'm wondering if something is going wrong with some cfw's needing exfat or something but I would rather not upgrade or go through the trouble of using Raj's no fuse upgrade thing if possible. Any ideas or hints would be appreciated.
Not sure why Hekate would load but not RajNX since they uses the same bootloader (RajNX is just a modified Hekate plus patches from ReiNX). For ReiNX, try deleting a file called fs_mitm.kip under the sysmodules folder.
@Draxzelex I don’t think I explained myself well. I am not wanting to share saves among Switches but have one modded offline-game only Switch for the three of us to share, keeping 2 Switches untouched for online use. Currently OFW allows multiple user accounts on one switch to keep the saves separate. Is this still possible with Rei, Raj or SX and if so how is it implemented?
The CFW is applied to the whole console and not per user. The CFW won't change how the Switch operates normally.

thorasgar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to be clear once booted into CFW I will still have access to the multiple user accounts and will not need to boot into OFW to access them? Thanks again.

Mr. Wizard

Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
when I stated that I'm from Europe so it will be a different product
It's the same part number and sku, from a global company so, same product. The tests he performs "prove" it has 56k, quite easy to do even with just an ohmmeter.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may FSM have mercy on your soul.

Reactions: Saintseiya911

elridge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hi there!
Searching the forum failed me until now so, could anyone help me with three kinda simple questions about tinfoil and nsp files? I'm using RajNX and tinfoil, fw 4.1 with exfat (via ChoiDujourNX from 4.1 without exfat).

The questions are:
1) How should i go about deleting games i don't play anymore? I know i should delete the nsp files from the SD card after installing the game, but how should i remove the game itself?
2) Is it "safe" to overwrite installed nsp files with tinfoil or could it lead to duplicate files and stuff? For example, if i accidentally install two times the same game or update.
3) Is there any kind of risk about installing nsp files on the system nand? I think it would be nice to leave some games installed on the system so the console can still be used while i copy new files to the SD card or something like that, but i don't know if there any kind of possible problems associated with that or if it is as safe as installing in the SD itself.

Thanks beforehand!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi there!
Searching the forum failed me until now so, could anyone help me with three kinda simple questions about tinfoil and nsp files? I'm using RajNX and tinfoil, fw 4.1 with exfat (via ChoiDujourNX from 4.1 without exfat).

The questions are:
1) How should i go about deleting games i don't play anymore? I know i should delete the nsp files from the SD card after installing the game, but how should i remove the game itself?
2) Is it "safe" to overwrite installed nsp files with tinfoil or could it lead to duplicate files and stuff? For example, if i accidentally install two times the same game or update.
3) Is there any kind of risk about installing nsp files on the system nand? I think it would be nice to leave some games installed on the system so the console can still be used while i copy new files to the SD card or something like that, but i don't know if there any kind of possible problems associated with that or if it is as safe as installing in the SD itself.

Thanks beforehand!
  1. You can delete them like you would any other game; via Data Management
  2. It is safe, worst case scenario you wasted 5 minutes of your time
  3. Read the top of this thread

Reactions: elridge

elridge

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Thanks a lot @Draxzelex for the quick reply!

About my third question, i meant risks with the system itself.
I absolutely assumed this system wouldn't be going online anymore the moment i decided to mod it, but i'm still concerned about any practice that could affect it negatively in any other way.
So, installing nsp files in the nand should be as safe as installing in the sd?

Thanks again!

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a lot @Draxzelex for the quick reply!

About my third question, i meant risks with the system itself.
I absolutely assumed this system wouldn't be going online anymore the moment i decided to mod it, but i'm still concerned about any practice that could affect it negatively in any other way.
So, installing nsp files in the nand should be as safe as installing in the sd?

Thanks again!
Certain NSPs have been known to damage the console. These are notably DevMenu NSPs but other NSPs can do the same. The latest Tinfoil however won't install bad NSPs so if you see an error when trying to install an NSP, its possible that NSP will damage your system so do not try installing it once you have eliminated the possibility of it being another issue.

Reactions: elridge

darksun45230

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
darksun45230.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
Recently, I installed Tin Foil on my Switch using Rei. I went a little crazy and decided to install six items at once. It's been an hour, though, and I'm still at: "Installing 1/6"

Should I reset my Switch and try to install one at a time or wait until it finishes?

EDIT: Fixed it, had to delete "fs_mitm.kip"

Last edited by darksun45230,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny