SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by epickid37, Nov 1, 2017.

1. yacepi15

yacepi15 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 15, 2015
    Antarctica
    What's the best method to do a NAND backup? (I want to do a full restore when i want to enter online)

2. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Completely new to the switch hacking scene, been sitting on these consoles for my kids for months now..

I have 3 total.

2 are on 4.0.1
    1 is on 2.1.0

Still waiting to determine which solution I will go with and possibly purchase. Was waiting for things to mature a bit more.. Was hoping for some type of cold boot jig that I could solder in the switches.

In the meanwhile, if I want to keep these as low as possible firmware wise with the hopes of some cold boot hack that is not "tethered" my questions are:

1. Is there any risk in me updating the 2 on 4.0.1 to 4.1.0? Meaning if some coldboot hack does come out in the future, is being on 4.0.1 compared to 4.1.0 really likely going to matter?

2. If not, can I update to 4.1.0 without purchasing a game? If so, how?

3. For my switch on 2.1.0, is there any value on staying at 2.1.0? If I am just as likely to get a coldboot hack being on 2.1.0 compared to 4.0.1/4.1.0, I mine as well update it to be the same as the other two.

Thanks in advance for any help.

3. mrmouse781

mrmouse781 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 10, 2018
    United States
    SX OS Pro and GameCart Update? Any way around it updating Game Cart if using SX OS and does it really matter?

So it seems there is no way to use SX OS/Pro while also preventing the GameCart from updating when updating firmware (using ChoiDuJourNX or any other noburn method)? I am planning to use ChoiDuJourNX to update them fimrware from 3.0.0 to 5.1.0 without burning fuses and I see a lot of people talking about using a different CFW (Hekate, etc) with PreventGCUpdate (since SX OS doesn't have PreventGCUpdate). Is there any reason to consider doing this until SX OS adds a PreventGCUpdate? Is there any potential reason that having the GC stay at a lower firmware version could be beneficial? I've been trying to think why so many people care about that and can't figure it out. It seems having the GC working on the current FW would be more beneficial anyway (and if a new exploit comes out, we could always downgrade FW if needed, setup that method, then upgrade FW back and then GC should work fine again).

I would probably never use the Game Carts anyway since I don't use physical carts usually, but just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before doing this update and having the GC Update permanent. I'm assuming any future boot method, untethered exploit, etc most likely wouldn't be effected by the GC version and I would still be able to downgrade back to 3.0.0 if necessary since no fuses burned by FW.

4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Hekate's menu is built into the payload but that payload goes away once you select launch firmware. That is because that payload exists in RCM only and we have no means of re-entering RCM without turning off the console. Although I did spot this new homebrew that can reboot the console for you but it seems like a work-in-progress: https://gbatemp.net/threads/bootmoix-a-simple-shutdown-reboot-homebrew.514467/
    I...don't know unfortunately. I personally use a paperclip and its very finicky. Sometimes it boots RCM on the first try and other times it takes maybe an hour. I trust most jigs more than paperclips, but the problem with jigs is that they are harder to modify. As long as the reviews (if any) say they are good, then that should be good enough.
    First of all, I'd like to preface my response that most of this information could have been found in the pinned Firmware Status thread so I am assuming you did not go there first. I have listed it below in case you are not aware of what I am talking about but for future reference, you should consult that thread first before asking a question here.
    1. Firmwares 3.0.1-4.1 have access to the same exploit so switching between firmwares in this set will not alter your chances of getting said exploit. Also, these firmwares have access to a warmboot not a coldboot. There is only a theoretical coldboot up to 3.0.1 but no one has achieved it thus far (and possibly no one may be interested). Sources: [​IMG] https://gbatemp.net/attachments/firmware-status-chart-png.137601/
    2. https://gbatemp.net/threads/choiduj...ller-homebrew-for-the-nintendo-switch.513416/
    3. It will likely get its own warmboot exploit before firmwares 3.0.1-4.1 get theirs so I would consider it worth staying on. However, we have a means of updating without burning fuses (see #2) so you can retain your ability to load 2.1 while being on the latest firmware. If you don't know what fuses are, they are literal microscopic fuses embedded in your console to prevent downgrading. This is accomplished by burning new fuses during certain system updates. To prevent fuses from being burned when running a foreign firmware, you must boot into RCM first and use a substitute bootloader.

fallingrat and crimpshrine like this.
  5. ssssss13

ssssss13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
  6. MisterMue

MisterMue Member

Newcomer
    Jan 18, 2013
    Germany
    What are XCI Files and how they ae used? What are NSP Files and how they are used?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

i took the one frompro controller

7. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Any USB-C cable should be fine however I would exercise caution with third party products that claim they work with the Switch. A lot of people were bricked with 3rd party docks due to them lacking the 56k ohm resistor. As a good reference, this is the cable I use although 6.6 feet is a bit long in retrospect: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00S8GU544/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    .XCI files are retail Switch cartridge dumps while .NSP are (usually) retail Switch eShop dumps. .XCI files can only be used raw with an activated SX OS. .NSP files must be installed with a title installer before they can be used (e.g. Tinfoil, Rommenu, DevMenu) along with a CFW that has ES (Eticket Service) patching so the .NSP files can be launched. An activated SX OS can accomplish this as well as ReiNX, RajNX, and Atmosphere/Hekate with sig patches.

ssssss13 and MisterMue like this.
  8. ssssss13

ssssss13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Yes , what I mean is that the charging cable will trasnfer data/payload¿

9. crimpshrine

crimpshrine GBAtemp Regular

Jun 18, 2014
    United States
    Is there any way (tools) to verify what update version an extracted (from xci) update folder is from a game?

I have been following the guide to get exfat support on the switch and the switch I am going to do this on is version 2.1.0. The guide mentions both Mario Plus Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Cars 3 as having version 2.1.0 update.

When I extract the update folder from both, they have different # of files and the size of each file varies, so I am guessing one of these I extracted is not actually 2.1.0.

10. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Any charging cable can also transfer data/payloads but without the 56k ohm resistor, it might fry the Switch. In fact, this caused a console to become bricked when running the CFW RajNX.
    You can use choidujourNX as I believe it analyzes the firmware packages before installation.

ssssss13 and crimpshrine like this.
  11. Harampapi

Harampapi Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2018
    Saudi Arabia
    So i was able to install reiNX.
    I have a question why doesnt my switch show up on my pc after the cfw or do i have to plug in the sd card separately everytime to transfer stuff ?

12. ssssss13

ssssss13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Where do I check if it has that ohm resistor? If its just a data cable does not need to have that resistor?

13. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Plugging in the Switch to your computer doesn't allow the transfer of files. That must all be done by repeatedly removing and reinserting the SD card. Alternatively, you can use the memloader payload when the Switch is in RCM if its too much of a hassle but the speed is hard capped.
    Click the link I posted. The USB Cable should have it written somewhere in its product description. If its not there, then chances are it doesn't have that resistor.

14. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    Or the built in UMS Tool in TegrarcmGUI. Bit more convenient if you use the gui for payloads.

Draxzelex likes this.
  15. ssssss13

ssssss13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Thank you! I live in Europe, is this the same cable than you have? Doesnt specify the 56k resistor, but I just searched the same cable https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B00S8GU544/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

16. Mr. Wizard

Mr. Wizard Ending the spread of bullshit one thread at a time

Mar 20, 2015
    Canada
    10th Dimension
    FBA_201001-BLK-2m

Benson Leung
    5.0 out of 5 starsCable Matters USB 2.0 USB-C to USB-A Cable in Black 3.3 Feet has correct 56kΩ termination!
    November 19, 2015 - Published on Amazon.com
    Verified Purchase

Benson here again, continuing my reviews of USB Type-C legacy cables, adapters, and accessories.

I reviewed a different but very similar Cable Matters cable a couple of weeks ago : Cable Matters? USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Type A (USB-A) Cable in White 6.6 Feet
    I found that cable to be not correctly following the USB Type-C specification. In the weeks since my review, Cable Matters got in touch with me and let me know that they were aware of the issue and they were in the process of fixing it. They were kind enough to send me early engineering samples.

Today I am reviewing Cable Matters® USB 2.0 Type C (USB-C) to Type A (USB-A) Cable in Black 3.3 Feet, which I had on order from Amazon.

Let's check spec compliance :
    I'm using my trusty Chromebook Pixel 2015 with the Chromium Twinkie USB-PD Sniffer, available on Amazon from Plugable : Plugable USB 3.1 Type-C (USB-C) Power Delivery Sniffer

For my first test, I've got the Cable Matters cable plugged into a Dell 10W charger : Dell 10W Adapter Spare Wall Charger for Venue 8 Pro/8/7 (XDN34)

The Type-C end is plugged into Twinkie, acting as a pass through to Chromebook Pixel 2015. Picture attached!

localhost ~ # ectool --name=cros_pd usbpdpower
    Port 0: SNK Charger DCP 4813mV / 2000mA, max 5000mV / 2000mA / 10000mW
    Port 1: SRC

So far so good. Pixel identifies the charger as a DCP (dedicated charging port) type adapter, and has negotiated 2A 10W of charging.

Let's see what Twinkie says :
    > adc
    CC1_PD = 16
    CC2_PD = 430

The ADC command reads the current voltage values from the CC pins. As you can see here, CC2_PD pin has a value of 430mV. Referring to the USB Type-C Specification Table 4-25 Voltage on Sink CC pins, this voltage falls right in the middle of the range allowed for vRd-USB, meaning that yes, this cable has the correct 56kΩ pullup resistor!

One more command :
    > tw vbus
    VBUS = 4885 mV ; -2040 mA

The tw vbus command uses twinkie's current and voltage meter ability. As you can see, the laptop is pulling just around 2A of current at 4.885V from the Dell adapter.

For more subjective evaluation of the cable : the cable's Type-C plug is quite good. It has good insertion and detatch feel in both directions. The cable itself is of the lightweight variety.

In conclusion : This is a fine USB Type-C cable from Cable Matters. I was very impressed by their customer service and the speed at which they fixed the original defect in their product line. The cable itself is a great safe way to charge and data sync your new USB Type-C devices such as Nexus 6P/5X or Pixel devices. It is also future proof for future USB Type-C devices to come!

https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Matters-Type-USB-C-Black/dp/B00S8GU544

Draxzelex likes this.
  17. goblic

goblic Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 14, 2009
    Indonesia
    Hi, My switch was 4.1.0, I backup the 4.1.0 nand and updated it with ChoidujourNX to 5.1.0 + autoRCM. I used RajNX, downloaded Pokemon Quest from eshop, then delete internet setting and enable airplane mode to avoid getting banned. I installed NSP using devmenu, all is working fine. Today my SX Pro arrives.

What I want to ask is:
    1. Will the sx os installation interfere with RajNX? Do I need to move / delete RajNX files/folder before SX os instalation? I still want to use RajNX.
    2. Does the NSP that I installed via devmenu still work, or do I have to install them again in sx os?
    3. I want to play multiplayer games with multiple switch (such as Mario Kart 8), but I'm afraid of getting banned. Do I need to connect to wifi to play multiplayer with other switch, or can I still play multiplayer on airplane mode? If my friend's switch is not on CFW and connect online, will my switch connect online too? What should I do to avoid to connect with nintendo server while playing multiplayer?
    4. I want to use several smaller size microsd card to make space for the games, but I already have some NSP installed. Can I just change the microsd card, install another game's NSP and change back to the old card to play the already installed NSP? or do I have to buy bigger size microsd card and copy all of the contents of the old card?

18. Draxzelex

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    1. It shouldn't as far as I'm aware of. SX Pro/OS just likes all of the .XCI and .NSP files to be on the root which Tinfoil (found in RajNX) does not deal with
    2. They should still work as long as they were installed appropriately the first time
    3. You can do local multiplayer without connecting to the Internet but Airplane Mode will make it impossible to do play online or locally. Just make sure there are no Wi-Fi settings stored in the console when you play local wireless. Other consoles that you are connected to your Switch locally won't affect the online status of your console unless you yourself are playing online.
    4. If you want to move installed games from one SD card to another, all you have to do is move the Nintendo folder onto the new SD card and the games should work.

19. ExploitJunkie

ExploitJunkie GBAtemp Regular

Dec 4, 2017
    United States
    Speculation not fact. Mentioning Rajnx and brick is irrelevant and misleading considering tons of other factors that could've been. Believe nothing you hear, and only one half of what you See.

20. ssssss13

ssssss13 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2018
    United Kingdom
    That does not anser if it has ohm resisto 56k or its the same product