Hacking SWITCH NOOB PARADISE - Ask questions here

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's great! I didn't know it. I currently use FTPD.
That one is good as well. Just wanted to make sure you had A solution.
(Less concerned about which religion you chose.)

Enjoy! :-)

edit: pulling in your query from the Homebrew Suggestion Sticky thread…

I am currently using Awoo-Installer and JKSV (save manager). Are there better substitutes nowadays?

Latest installers are (in no particular order)

Tinfoil — Love it or hate it this is @blawar ’s tinfoil installer…be sure to check out his companion app, nut.exe
DBI — The English instructions for @duckbill007 ’s simple but surprisingly powerful installer.
Tinwoo — @mrdude’s straightforward installer that does what it says on the tin every time.
Goldleaf — Try this solid installer by @XorTroll.

Save Managers are:

JKSV — The defacto Save Game manager from @JK_ (the same guy who brought you JKSM on the 3DS)
Checkpoint — This one had not been updated in a while but got an update last November so putting it back on my list
I don't like Tinfoil, if that's avoidable, since their red flag on launch, in Atmosphere, is extremely sketchy.
I try to stay out of politics.
Also, is there an payload launcher that is up to date?

for a quick and dirty solution I use:
https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/Payload_Launcher

for a more sexy solution I use:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tesla-the-nintendo-switch-overlay-menu.557362/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/overlay-fastcfwswitch.562451/

@CassioAug Feel free to go nuts with the entries in my blog:

https://gbatemp.net/blogs/my-latest-help-links.18779/
https://gbatemp.net/blogs/homebrew-i-use.18815/ (WIP)

Got a lot of my stuff from here: https://apps.fortheusers.org/switch

Last edited by binkinator,
  • Love
Reactions: CassioAug

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
That one is good as well. Just wanted to make sure you had A solution.
(Less concerned about which religion you chose.)

Enjoy! :-)

edit: pulling in your query from the Homebrew Suggestion Sticky thread…

Latest installers are (in no particular order)

Tinfoil — Love it or hate it this is @blawar ’s tinfoil installer…be sure to check out his companion app, nut.exe
DBI — The English instructions for @duckbill007 ’s simple but surprisingly powerful installer.
Tinwoo — @mrdude’s straightforward installer that does what it says on the tin every time.
Goldleaf — Try this solid installer by @XorTroll.

Save Managers are:

JKSV — The defacto Save Game manager from @JK_ (the same guy who brought you JKSM on the 3DS)
Checkpoint — This one had not been updated in a while but got an update last November so putting it back on my list

I try to stay out of politics.

for a quick and dirty solution I use:
https://github.com/suchmememanyskill/Payload_Launcher

for a more sexy solution I use:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/tesla-the-nintendo-switch-overlay-menu.557362/
https://gbatemp.net/threads/overlay-fastcfwswitch.562451/

@CassioAug Feel free to go nuts with the entries in my blog:

https://gbatemp.net/blogs/my-latest-help-links.18779/
https://gbatemp.net/blogs/homebrew-i-use.18815/ (WIP)

Got a lot of my stuff from here: https://apps.fortheusers.org/switch
Thanks a ton for the update! I was using the quick and dirty Payload Launcher solution XD, and wondering if there was something more up to date. Again, thanks a ton! I will definitely check some of these!

Edit:

@binkinator is Tinfoil being safe to use on Atmosphere? Can I ignore that red alert?
And would you recommend me to use applet or self installer version?

Last edited by CassioAug,
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a ton for the update! I was using the quick and dirty Payload Launcher solution XD, and wondering if there was something more up to date. Again, thanks a ton! I will definitely check some of these!

Edit:

@binkinator is Tinfoil being safe to use on Atmosphere? Can I ignore that red alert?
And would you recommend me to use applet or self installer version?
I use Tinfoil on my switch. No issues whatsoever.

edit: see bold note from the release notes below
  • 12.10​

• Removed all hekate checks.
  • Removed junk DLC block.
  • Fixed a few MTP bugs. Improved MTP stability. If MTP freezes, just unplug and re-plug the USB cable, you do not have to restart Tinfoil.
  • Added stream XCI support for MTP and network downloads.
  • Fixed linux MTP crash.
  • Recompiled with latest libnx.
I recommend the Installer Version .nro.

Run it in title override mode or it will not hve anough memory to install properly!

Title Override — What is title override and how to override its key combo

Reactions: CassioAug

CassioAug

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I use Tinfoil on my switch. No issues whatsoever.

edit: see bold note from the release notes below
  • 12.10​

• Removed all hekate checks.
  • Removed junk DLC block.
  • Fixed a few MTP bugs. Improved MTP stability. If MTP freezes, just unplug and re-plug the USB cable, you do not have to restart Tinfoil.
  • Added stream XCI support for MTP and network downloads.
  • Fixed linux MTP crash.
  • Recompiled with latest libnx.
I recommend the Installer Version .nro.

Run it in title override mode or it will not hve anough memory to install properly!

Title Override — What is title override and how to override its key combo
Indeed the new version didn't prompt me with that red screen. That's good!

MSco

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
How can I backup all saves at once? I know there was a function like this in JKSV, but i cannot find it in the latest release of jksv. Has this function been removed?

Last edited by MSco,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I backup all saves at once? I know there was a function like this in JKSV, but i cannot find it in the latest release of jksv. Has this function been removed?

In JKSV, simply be on the main menu and stay on your user icon, press (X) for User Oprions and select Dump All For MSco (or whatever your Profile name is) from the sub-menu that pops up. This will save every safe game for that user to /JKSV, unless you changed your saves directory under settings.

Reactions: MSco

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I just started to make a "Backup eMMC RAW GPP". This is supposed to take quite some time. However, I don't have enough space available. But it is still going on. What will happen and will this backup be useful in any way if I don't have enough space available? An why in the first place it let us to start a backup when we don't have enough space left?

note:
I'm using this guide for the backup
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/sysnand/making_essential_backups/

Edited:
Ok, it let us to remove the SD card, make some space available and continue!
Problem is that I don't know what can I delete from the SD card! I think I'll simply copy all to my laptop and then will figure out!

Edited 2;
Nothing like testing
In my situation, that I only have a single 64Gb card with only 5Gb of free space available, we can simply let the backup go and at some point the backup will tell us to click OK and the SD card will be unmounted. Then we can remove it, put it in our laptop, remove backup (aka copy from SD card into some folder in our laptop and delete the same files in the SD card folder) the rawnand.bin.0x files, located in /mount/point/backup/74xxxxx/ put the SD card back in the console and click again in the Backup eMMC RAW GPP option again. It will use the partial.idx file, located at the root of the SD card to resume the backup! So, DON'T delete this file!

Edited 3;
I just tested something else yet about the backups
We can just copy partial.idx to the root of any other SD card and continue a backup. In my case, it was extremely useful. I just used my phone SD card (also 64Gb, but Extreme version, Sandisk brand) to continue one of the backups I started in the almost full SD card I am using in the Nintendo Switch!

Last edited by HelloShitty,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started to make a "Backup eMMC RAW GPP". This is supposed to take quite some time. However, I don't have enough space available. But it is still going on. What will happen and will this backup be useful in any way if I don't have enough space available? An why in the first place it let us to start a backup when we don't have enough space left?

note:
I'm using this guide for the backup
https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/user_guide/sysnand/making_essential_backups/

Edited:
Ok, it let us to remove the SD card, make some space available and continue!
Problem is that I don't know what can I delete from the SD card! I think I'll simply copy all to my laptop and then will figure out!

Edited 2;
Nothing like testing
In my situation, that I only have a single 64Gb card with only 5Gb of free space available, we can simply let the backup go and at some point the backup will tell us to click OK and the SD card will be unmounted. Then we can remove it, put it in our laptop, remove the rawnand.bin.0x files, located in /mount/point/backup/74xxxxx/ put the SD card back in the console and click again in the Backup eMMC RAW GPP option again. It will use the partial.idx file, located at the root of the SD card to resume the backup! So, DON'T delete this file!

This is…kinda cool, man. Hooray for just going for it and finding out! Didn’t know it would pause like that and let you resume. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: HelloShitty

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
I just added another info to my previous post. It might be useful in some scenarios where you may have a second SD card lying around with more free space than the one we are actually using in the console!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just added another info to my previous post. It might be useful in some scenarios where you may have a second SD card lying around with more free space than the one we are actually using in the console!

that's slick as cat...well...you know!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@gemeos496 said:
Touch screen only works in hekate menu, after I select Atmosphere, the touch screen doesn't work anymore. Atmosphere version 1.3.1 and firmware 1.4.1.1

Have you tried booting into OFW on Sysnand to see if it happens in regular HOS without Atmosphere?

jkirk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone! I just redid the CFW on my switch (had to redo as I followed some questionable guides online lol), updated to the latest firmware and all. But I was wondering if I can update my OFW without connecting to nintendo servers. I have never done anything to my Sysnand I think. I have always ran on emummc. But, is there a way to update my OFW without connecting to nintendo servers? Please let me know.

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I just redid the CFW on my switch (had to redo as I followed some questionable guides online lol), updated to the latest firmware and all. But I was wondering if I can update my OFW without connecting to nintendo servers. I have never done anything to my Sysnand I think. I have always ran on emummc. But, is there a way to update my OFW without connecting to nintendo servers? Please let me know.
Sure you can do it with Daybreak under CFW/Sysnand, but if your Sysnand is clean then contacting Ninty to do updates is not only fine, it’s recommended.

Alternatively, it doesn’t sound like you do much with Sysnand anyway (which is correct practice) so why the bother to do it now?

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
that's slick as cat...well...you know!
You mean that it is not safe? I mean, I have more to add to it. lol and it may not be good. I think my phone SD card is not even FAT32 nor exFAT. It is probably ext4! Not sure if this matters when you want to concatenate the files into a single one!

Last edited by HelloShitty,

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You mean that it is not safe? I mean, I have more to add to it. lol and it may not be goo. I think my phone SD card is not even FAT32 nor exFAT. It is probably ext4! Not sure if this matters when you want to concatenate the files into a single one!
That's slicker'n cat shit on a linoleum floor = I like it a lot! 😀

• Haha

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
That's slicker'n cat shit on a linoleum floor = I like it a lot! 😀
But I'm also wondering about something. We have been suggesting fat32 file systems to avoid weirdo bugs and other problems. However, fat32 is as shitty as it gets and I don't understand why this file system is still being used.
Anyway, what I have been wondering is that the backup menus in Hekate suggests that we can later concatenate files into a single one when we perform partial backups as is the case when we lack space in our SD card. However, even when we have enough space for a backup, the procedure still uses 2Gb files (at least in my case). So, if it uses 2Gb files and then it suggests we can concatenate them into a single file (I presume they mean a single file), then we will end up with a huge file, in my case, around 60Gb. So, if we're using fat32 file systems, this will be a no go as it only can handle 4Gb size files! :|

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But I'm also wondering about something. We have been suggesting fat32 file systems to avoid weirdo bugs and other problems. However, fat32 is as shitty as it gets and I don't understand why this file system is still being used.
Anyway, what I have been wondering is that the backup menus in Hekate suggests that we can later concatenate files into a single one when we perform partial backups as is the case when we lack space in our SD card. However, even when we have enough space for a backup, the procedure still uses 2Gb files (at least in my case). So, if it uses 2Gb files and then it suggests we can concatenate them into a single file (I presume they mean a single file), then we will end up with a huge file, in my case, around 60Gb. So, if we're using fat32 file systems, this will be a no go as it only can handle 4Gb size files! :|
Right. You would not concatenation unless on your PC because it would not make sense for the reasons you stated. ExFAT isn’t a bad file system (aside from being a bit dated, non-journaled and single file allocation table) but the implementation Ninty used is a bad revision of the offering. FAT32 is even more dated but on the Switch its drivers are more solid.

If you needed to go to the store would you drive a beat up but working 1990’s Honda Civic or a 2022 Bugatti Charon with an engine that’s overheating and blowing thick smoke out of the tailpipe? We chose the Civic because those are the only options available to us on this platform that is less likely to blow up on us while being used.

If you’re going to be doing more serious work with your *nands you will probably want to use more powerful tools than we can run on the Switch. PC based tools like NXNandManager and Emutool spring to mind. You wouldn’t want to be dickin around with split files on your PC. Split files are only useful if liberating files from your Switch can’t be done over USB mount for some reason and has to be done over your SD card…in which case we are thankful to the Devs that gave us the option even though it’s not an ideal situation.

HelloShitty

Trophies
XP
Country
Iran
Right. You would not concatenation unless on your PC because it would not make sense for the reasons you stated. ExFAT isn’t a bad file system (aside from being a bit dated, non-journaled and single file allocation table) but the implementation Ninty used is a bad revision of the offering. FAT32 is even more dated but on the Switch its drivers are more solid.

If you needed to go to the store would you drive a beat up but working 1990’s Honda Civic or a 2022 Bugatti Charon with an engine that’s overheating and blowing thick smoke out of the tailpipe? We chose the Civic because those are the only options available to us on this platform that is less likely to blow up on us while being used.

If you’re going to be doing more serious work with your *nands you will probably want to use more powerful tools than we can run on the Switch. PC based tools like NXNandManager and Emutool spring to mind. You wouldn’t want to be dickin around with split files on your PC. Split files are only useful if liberating files from your Switch can’t be done over USB mount for some reason and has to be done over your SD card…in which case we are thankful to the Devs that gave us the option even though it’s not an ideal situation.
Yeah, absolutely.
An about the Honda vs Bug'gatti'.. Also yes. But I'm also a Honda fan. I have a Civic VTI in the past, 1994 iirc ( the year of the car, not the year I owned the car)... OMG that VTEC! xD
Anyway, about the file systems, I don't even understand why the Nintendo devs, maintainers, whatever they are, are using completely outdated file systems in the first place. Why not simply NTFS or something like that? I don't even wanna talk about other file systems that I consider a lot better like btrfs, ext4, ext3, etc... But at least some more recent file system. I mean, we have been dealing with problems from the 2000's or so. 4Gb files????? jeezzz

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, absolutely.
An about the Honda vs Bug'gatti'.. Also yes. But I'm also a Honda fan. I have a Civic VTI in the past, 1994 iirc ( the year of the car, not the year I owned the car)... OMG that VTEC! xD
Anyway, about the file systems, I don't even understand why the Nintendo devs, maintainers, whatever they are, are using completely outdated file systems in the first place. Why not simply NTFS or something like that? I don't even wanna talk about other file systems that I consider a lot better like btrfs, ext4, ext3, etc... But at least some more recent file system. I mean, we have been dealing with problems from the 2000's or so. 4Gb files????? jeezzz

Yes, NTFS would be awesome...ext4 would be fantastic...alas, Ninty is in no way motivated to make pirate lives easier. 🙃

• Angry

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • PandaPandel
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: im playing fortnite rn and just got rsn over by a car