Homebrew Swap DRC for Wii U - Switch your Wii U's TV display onto the Gamepad!

epicmartin7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While I'm not the original creator of this mod, this is pretty cool. Apparently, it's going to work with all games according to the person in the comments.
upload_2017-7-10_19-35-23.png

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will there be an option to do vice-versa? Display the Gamepad screen on the TV?

(I’m not an expert so don’t believe everything I say is correct. There may be a way to do it.)

No because the way it works it switching what gets streamed to the gamepad from gamepad display to the tv display. However, if you want to switch the tv output from the tv display to gamepad display it would require some hardware modification.

Last edited by aykay55,

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I would say they have managed to find a string within the system.xml file for the wiiu and changed it so you can now have games like Splatoon on your gamepad screen working, if this is the case then all games playing this way should all work. I would of thought a little mod change in a file similar to changing the string in your ds vc title/meta.xml file to get cbhc working on your tv, not just your gamepad screen. Another problem I was thinking is, if this is the method they have used to get the games working on your gamepad screen then without a doubt it could get very complicated for members that are not very tech savvy to get the string changed and uploaded too the wiiu for it too work also bricks may happen in the process! I'm not trying to scare anyone or put anybody off doing this mod, its just I think this is what will be needed to get the end result.

Last edited by Reecey,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ooh, this is really nice.

I can see it making it problematic to use touchscreen input though, as you would have to look at the TV and estimate where you need to tap.

Many games will probably not be 100% perfect with the screens switched, but games that don't use touch input much should be near perfect.
This is really something Nintendo should have had built in, so that even if the game doesn't officially support Off-TV play, you can still sort of play it off-TV and you would only need to switch the screens sometimes to use touch input. Off-TV is a great feature and more games should support it.

If this had a button combination to switch between the screens on the fly, it'd be perfect, as then you'd be able to use Off-TV play in nearly every game and never need to look at the TV screen. Exceptions are games that use both screens for multiplayer, like Nintendoland, or otherwise use the gamepad as an additional gameplay mechanic as a secondary screen, but those would never work with only one screen anyway, and there seem to be very few of them (I can only think of Nintendoland TBH) These are the only ones I consider to actually use the gamepad properly, for the rest of the games it just seems tacked on.
Most games only use it for maps/menus though so it'd be perfect for those.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: Reecey

Zarklord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say they have managed to find a string within the system.xml file for the wiiu and changed it so you can now have games like Splatoon on your gamepad screen working, if this is the case then all games playing this way should all work. I would of thought a little mod change in a file similar to changing the string in your ds vc title/meta.xml file to get cbhc working on your tv, not just your gamepad screen. Another problem I was thinking is, if this is the method they have used to get the games working on your gamepad screen then without a doubt it could get very complicated for members that are not very tech savvy to get the string changed and uploaded too the wiiu for it too work also bricks may happen in the process! I'm not trying to scare anyone or put anybody off doing this mod, its just I think this is what will be needed to get the end result.
sadly(because if what you are saying was true it would a really easy mod) nope nothing like that is true... this is some good old code and im 99% certain function patching...

Reactions: Reecey

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
sadly(because if what you are saying was true it would a really easy mod) nope nothing like that is true... this is some good old code and im 99% certain function patching...
Are you involved within the development side then because it would be very interesting to me to see how its done?. I presume then if not changing strings there will be a simple patch install for example in an "install" folder on the route of your sd card similar to what fix94 did with haxchi?

Last edited by Reecey,

Zarklord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you involved within the development because it would be very interesting to me how its done?. I presume then if not changing strings there will be a simple patch install for example in an "install" folder on the route of your sd card similar to what fix94 did with haxchi?
think sdcaffiine/tcpgecko/cafiine. also not involved in the project but working on something similiar...

Reecey

Trophies
XP
Country
think sdcaffiine/tcpgecko/cafiine. also not involved in the project but working on something similiar...
OK I'm with you. You will have to run sdcaffine first and then boot up the game. What about if you have cbhc installed because sdcaffine wont boot after loading the system menu in homebrew launcher I know because I have had issues myself usually it will just freeze on the wiiu logo back out of running sdcaffine trying to go back into the main menu.

Last edited by Reecey,

Zarklord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK I'm with you. You will have to run sdcaffine first and then boot up the game. what about if you have cbhc installed because sdcaffine wont boot after loading the system menu in homebrew launcher I know because I have had issues myself usually it will just freeze on the wiiu logo back out of running sdcaffine trying to go back into the main menu.
never had those issues to idk what you are talking about...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)