Hacking Suspected Broken Slot-2.... Slot

LokusT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll briefly explain the problem. Just tried botting up the Opera Browser on my DS several times. It often gets past the password part but almost immediately after, hangs with a high pitched squeal emitting from the speakers. This occured 75% of the time of about 20 attempts, other times it just couldn't find the Slot-2 card. I tried again to use Slot-2 this time with a GBA rom. Both with the Cyclo's beta GBA support and using GBAExploader. The rom was able to write to the slot-2 card in NOR and PSRAM modes but upon loading, I get past the Gameboy intro screen and then I get a repeating squealing sound.

I tested all of this again, same hardware on my girlfriend's DS and it worked flawlessly. So, yeah, I'm guessing the DS Slot-2 is very much screwed.

So, basically, what I guess I'm asking is does anyone know of a probable cause? Cleaning the contacts would be a good idea I imagine. So far it's only been blown more times than John Holmes. Trying to avoid opening it up for the time being. Sadly, it's no longer under warranty either. It's like, 2 years old now I think.

The only thing that's aesthetically wrong with the DS that I can see is right at the bottom just below the touch screen where the case joins, there's a very slight gap which isn't normally there. It's probably related but it's so minor, I wouldn't normally consider it a problem.

I wish this wasn't the only thing that's broken lately. My PC's dying. The gremlins are moving in. Really bad timing as well as all my funds are tied up in moving home at the end of the month. :'(

Here's my hardware:

DS Lite Black
CycloDS + 1.5B1 firmware.
EZFlash 3-in-1
Sandisk Class 4 Micro SDHC card.

Pretty sure nothing but the DS is even remotely likely to be the cause. Thanks in advance for any hardware afficionados to shed a bit of light on the matter.
smile.gif

Joey90

Not around any more
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You should be able to clean it without opening it up, if you use some ingenuity
tongue.gif

I think damp cotton buds might work, though on the other hand you don't want any fibres there.

You could try a bit of sponge (cut to fit)

Or you could just open up the DS
tongue.gif

Also, if you are feeling really brave you could try a bit of meths or other solvent.

LokusT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry for the delay in my reply. Only just got back from Dublin.

Anyway, I had a go at opening the DS and giving it a clean. The slot 2 interface is a bugger to clean but managed to get under it to clean. I used cleaning alcohol to clear the pins but no joy whatsoever. Still have the same problem. What I am curious about is that I tried a legit GBA cartridge in the system and it seemed to work fine so I'm very confused. Seems strange that the 3-in-1 works flawlessly on another unit and both mine and my gf's 3-in-1 gives the same results on my DS when there doesn't appear to be anything immediately wrong with it.

Anybody have any other ideas as to what the cause could be?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps5-m2sdd-quit-working-in-ps5.622567/page-2 guess I'm not the only...