Gaming Super Smash Bros lag is just terrible!

Vipera

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They should really add a ping limit. I pay good money to my ISP to have <20ms and I hate when there's so much lag it becomes unplayable. Just don't make people with shitty internet play.
Really reminds me when Brawl was out and I had lag with some of my friends who didn't want to close uTorrent. Fuck them, and fuck you (who is reading this post) if you are like this.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
This is entirely dependable on who you play with/against so if their connection is shitty then you're fucked as you're going to have a lagged match.

I prefer 1v1 Glory Mode battles myself. 8)

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're probably stuck. The netcode is quite good, it's just that the people lagging, lag really bad. (Most fighting games do not work well at all with 100+ping)
All nintendo has to do is not let those people play online with some pretty easy methods. However, I'm rather doubtful we'll see them.
Every Japanese game I've specc'd(live) had no lag. They are probably not paying attention to other countries unfortunately. I think that's pretty evident considering you cannot even set what region in the US you are located in. Most games separate US west from US East.

Pings from California to New York are around 100ms... combined that with jittery connections, is an awful experience.

I'm not even sure how the game will work with Australians. The game will pair them up with other PAL users, and that's just going to be awful.
Spectating is not live. It just downloads the entire replay. I know this because on one of the early streams, the exact same match was spectated twice.

Purple_Shyguy

Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendos online is medieval.

You cant even see your opponents connection strength.

ANY and every fighting game in the past 10 years with online on other systems lets you see your opponents connection and whether you want to accept the fight first.

But not Nintendo.

What happens when I quit a literally unplayable match in Smash 4?.... I get banned for 10 minutes.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
You also have to consider if your WiFi connection is actually good or not, and if it's unstable then you need to get closer to it.

I had a little amount of lag for 20secs and then the rest of the matches were lagless.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendos online is medieval.

You cant even see your opponents connection strength.

ANY and every fighting game in the past 10 years with online on other systems lets you see your opponents connection and whether you want to accept the fight first.

But not Nintendo.

What happens when I quit a literally unplayable match in Smash 4?.... I get banned for 10 minutes.
I agree nintendo really needs to step up its game in terms of netcode. But until N figures out the internet isnt just a fad thats not going away, they are just going to have poor online. Nevermind the underpowered hardware.

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've just took a test via BT Wholesale tester and I get these results, I know it says my ping is 24ms but I get lower on Pingtest.net 14ms with 0 Jitter and below so it can't be my ping results but maybe I am having issues because there is just to much bandwidth and the 3DS cannot cope with it via wifi link like the Wii with MK6 and the lan adapter, I'm not sure maybe someone else might know and can help me out but I'm really suffering with SSB online now all the time not just the occasional matches, its becoming unplayable online for me?:-

07_Oct_14_7_09_05_PM.png

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's strange how the lag works, it's like input lag instead of missed hitboxes or however you would notice lag in a traditional game. Is that how it is for everyone else?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's strange how the lag works, it's like input lag instead of missed hitboxes or however you would notice lag in a traditional game. Is that how it is for everyone else?
It is that way BECAUSE they wanted to avoid missing hitboxes and teleporting enemies and whatnot. That's also why it seems more noticable than in other games.

Reactions: redkeyboard

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lag in brawl was atrocious, the 3DS is actually pretty good, and I prefer the slowdown lag to a desynch option.

It's the internet, it's not going to be able to grab your input, his input, and advance the game 60 times a second 100% of the time.

Get a better wifi setup. Don't look at reasons why you shouldn't. If you're having bad lag every time, it's your setup.

Reactions: NEP and Coto

NotAnAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've just took a test via BT Wholesale tester and I get these results, I know it says my ping is 24ms but I get lower on Pingtest.net 14ms with 0 Jitter and below so it can't be my ping results but maybe I am having issues because there is just to much bandwidth and the 3DS cannot cope with it via wifi link like the Wii with MK6 and the lan adapter, I'm not sure maybe someone else might know and can help me out but I'm really suffering with SSB online now all the time not just the occasional matches, its becoming unplayable online for me?:-

07_Oct_14_7_09_05_PM.png

I checked and the game uses less than 70 kb/s. You could run icsi netalyzr to see if there is anything wrong, but it is more likely that your wifi is just flaky.

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina

07_Oct_14_7_09_05_PM.png

Tried DMZ?

LegendAssassinF

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone else noticed playing Super Smash Bros online you sometimes well alot in fact get terrible lag and the match itself becomes unplayable!. Now I know for sure its not my connection, I'm on a FTTP connection 330/30MB to my house so I get pings with 14ms and below with 0 Jitter all the time via Ethernet cable to my router. I find the lag mostly at its worst when playing For Glory Smash. Now if it is other players with a bad internet connection is there not a way of getting rid of them or finding out who is the culprit because the online matches suck when there bad connection brings the match down. Does anyone else notice it quite badly or is there a way of making it any better?

It is likely you if you are having constant problems it is your connection. If you would like add me to test your connection since I play people from all around the world since I go to a ton of tournaments for Smash Bros. I have near perfect connections even with friends from California.

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I checked and the game uses less than 70 kb/s. You could run icsi netalyzr to see if there is anything wrong, but it is more likely that your wifi is just flaky.

Yes I will run that thanks, I know what your are on about, will have ago. :)

@ GamerzHell. Got DMZ signed to my laptop but yes I have tried to sign it to my 3DS but no difference at all, I have used insidder3 to find the best channel sorted that out, have UPnP unchecked as well, have smart set up unchecked basically all the things that may cause lag and ping related issues I have backed it up. Any other ideas in my router home page I could look at m8? :) also i have all security turned off have no neighbours luckly so need to worry its just a pain having security on, its better without because everything just connects easier.

It is likely you if you are having constant problems it is your connection. If you would like add me to test your connection since I play people from all around the world since I go to a ton of tournaments for Smash Bros. I have near perfect connections even with friends from California.

Sent you a PM ;)

NotAnAlias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I will run that thanks, I know what your are on about, will have ago. :)

@ GamerzHell. Got DMZ signed to my laptop but yes I have tried to sign it to my 3DS but no difference at all, I have used insidder3 to find the best channel sorted that out, have UPnP unchecked as well, have smart set up unchecked basically all the things that may cause lag and ping related issues I have backed it up. Any other ideas in my router home page I could look at m8? :) also i have all security turned off have no neighbours luckly so need to worry its just a pain having security on, its better without because everything just connects easier.

You should keep upnp on and you should probably turn wpa2 aes on. The overhead is small and I personally don't think it's that inconvenient.

Legend is right, there is just a good chance you are playing with a bunch of laggers.

Reecey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You should keep upnp on and you should probably turn wpa2 aes on. The overhead is small and I personally don't think it's that inconvenient.

Legend is right, there is just a good chance you are playing with a bunch of laggers.

For some reason I get a lower ping with UPnP off, don't know why so I keep it off. I have been trying all sorts to get SSB working better, trying different settings, channels etc.. I have even gone through connecting BT Home Hubs 3, 4 and 5 routers up to try to see if its the router at fault but there all virtually the same results so its not the router at fault and the 3DS Aqua does the same as well.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I agree nintendo really needs to step up its game in terms of netcode. But until N figures out the internet isnt just a fad thats not going away, they are just going to have poor online. Nevermind the underpowered hardware.

I'm not much into a savvy in that aspect but I'll tell you this much: I've not had any lag issues while I'd play Mario Kart 8 or Smash Bros. 3DS so they're doing something right.

I don't get how so much people have gotten lag while playing Super Smash Bros. on 3DS. Maybe they've got a crappy ISP or are playing with someone that has.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Smash Bros. is the most anticipated game for 3DS/Wii U so that's what most people are playing currently online, unfortunately a lot of them just use fucking Little Mac.

[rant]GO LEARN HOW TO PLAY AS MEGA MAN OR SOMEONE ELSE![/rant]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1