Super Metroid gets an early recompilation and PC port project

1678121511375.png

One of the fan-favourite and most liked entries in the Metroid franchise, Super Metroid, got an early recompilation in C/C++ and PC port at GitHub under the MIT license, from the same developers that tackled A Link to the Past recompilation and PC port from some months ago. The term "recompilation" is given (mostly made up by me) due to the fact that the original game wasn't made in C/C++ language, as most games in the early 8-bit and 16-bit era were entirely made in assembly (6502 for NES and 65816 for SNES), so the game's original code is redone into C/C++ language to mimic/resemble the original assembly code once compiled. This goes beyond what a decompilation project does, which is to recreate the original's game source code based on the same language it originally used, like N64 games being developed in C language.

The project seems to have been released just a few hours ago, and right now, as with the recompilation for A Link to the Past, the project is compatible with Windows (with Visual Studio) and Linux (using SDL2 and Python). The project is in a very early development stage, and with the initial commit just being made, it's still unknown how stable it is or how it controls so far. The project will most likely see some upcoming commits to iron out the code a bit more and provide more information regarding controls and other features.

As with other decompilation projects, the repository doesn't include any of the original game's assets, as it requires the user to own and provide your own Super Metroid ROM named "sm.smc" to extract all of the game's assets and begin the compilation afterwards.

:arrow: Source

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Oh hopefully they make it easier to do wall jumps. I Always get stuck at the bit where you first have to do one up the long shafts thingy.
N00b bridge fix when?
Post automatically merged:

"How do I make Metroid crawl? I'm stuck in this part"

Last edited by JuanMena,

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well, I can't see any cool mods for Alttp yet, so I guess it'll take a while to get interesting for those projects
But that's such a great news. I hope people will make good stuff with these

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
for programmers? People learning? Sure, super cool, but regular players already can get "perfect versions" of those 16bit games with IPS patches. Now people are event adding SA chip capabilities to eliminate slowdowns in many snes games.

The project itself is awesome, don't get me wrong. I'm super happy to see people with that passion for one of the main games of the system I love the most. I just don't see myself, or the majority of the community using it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.