Homebrew Super Mario World Romhacks on BlargSNES?

Scoreless Pine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anybody have a list of romhacks that work on Blarg? I am especially wanting to see if anyone knows how to get Super Demo World - The Legend Continues to work if possible, but it keeps throwing the error: "!! SPC CONFIG F0 = 51" and does nothing after that. Thank you!

Scoreless Pine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I should also probably note that I have tried both a downloaded ROM version and an IPS Patch of Demo World, but both give the same error.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Does anybody have a list of romhacks that work on Blarg? I am especially wanting to see if anyone knows how to get Super Demo World - The Legend Continues to work if possible, but it keeps throwing the error: "!! SPC CONFIG F0 = 51" and does nothing after that. Thank you!
From http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/1/
an emulator might ignore the fact that the sound processor writes echo samples into shared RAM. Not a problem until you wind up with hacks that use wildly unrealistic echo buffer sizes, which in turn end up overwriting the entire audio program in memory, crashing and burning in spectacular fashion. This one issue single-handedly renders dozens of Super Mario World fan-made levels unplayable.
I think this might be the issue here. I had a lot (around 50 or so) of Super Mario World romhacks years ago and many of them didn't work at all in the emulator I was using (at the time ZSnes), I thought they were just corrupted at the time but after reading that writeup a couple months ago I'm not so sure. If that's the issue there's not much you can do, it's just a broken romhack.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Scoreless Pine

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/1/

I think this might be the issue here. I had a lot (around 50 or so) of Super Mario World romhacks years ago and many of them didn't work at all in the emulator I was using (at the time ZSnes), I thought they were just corrupted at the time but after reading that writeup a couple months ago I'm not so sure. If that's the issue there's not much you can do, it's just a broken romhack.
I'm not sure, but it works perfectly in Snes9x, which is why I'm wondering why it doesn't work in BlargSNES. I'm curious about the error that it gives as well and what it means, maybe if we know that I can find out why it isn't working.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure, but it works perfectly in Snes9x, which is why I'm wondering why it doesn't work in BlargSNES. I'm curious about the error that it gives as well and what it means, maybe if we know that I can find out why it isn't working.

blargSNES simply does not have the same level of compatibility as Snes9X.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
SPC is the sound processor which makes it seem like it's indeed related to the issue I mentioned. The rest of the error is pretty cryptic, though. It sounds like F0 is set to 51, which isn't what it's expecting, so it panics and crashes. What that means though, I don't know.

As for why it works fine in Snes9x, all emulators have their particular quirks, and this specific romhack was probably built around Snes9x' (or a similar emulator's) quirks, and therefore might not work in all other emulators.

BlargSNES is no doubt less accurate than Snes9x, since it's built for speed, and that will have an effect on compatibility. Whether that's the reason this particular ROM hack won't work though is hard to say, because most emulators are a clusterfuck and Snes9x might have some ugly hack that allows it to work.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Is Janet Jackson alive?