Super Mario World Romhacks on BlargSNES?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Scoreless Pine, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Scoreless Pine
    OP

Scoreless Pine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    Does anybody have a list of romhacks that work on Blarg? I am especially wanting to see if anyone knows how to get Super Demo World - The Legend Continues to work if possible, but it keeps throwing the error: "!! SPC CONFIG F0 = 51" and does nothing after that. Thank you!

2. Scoreless Pine
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    I should also probably note that I have tried both a downloaded ROM version and an IPS Patch of Demo World, but both give the same error.

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    From http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/...ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/1/
    I think this might be the issue here. I had a lot (around 50 or so) of Super Mario World romhacks years ago and many of them didn't work at all in the emulator I was using (at the time ZSnes), I thought they were just corrupted at the time but after reading that writeup a couple months ago I'm not so sure. If that's the issue there's not much you can do, it's just a broken romhack.

Ammako likes this.
  4. Scoreless Pine
    OP

Newcomer
    Nov 14, 2015
    United States
    I'm not sure, but it works perfectly in Snes9x, which is why I'm wondering why it doesn't work in BlargSNES. I'm curious about the error that it gives as well and what it means, maybe if we know that I can find out why it isn't working.

5. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    blargSNES simply does not have the same level of compatibility as Snes9X.

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    SPC is the sound processor which makes it seem like it's indeed related to the issue I mentioned. The rest of the error is pretty cryptic, though. It sounds like F0 is set to 51, which isn't what it's expecting, so it panics and crashes. What that means though, I don't know.

As for why it works fine in Snes9x, all emulators have their particular quirks, and this specific romhack was probably built around Snes9x' (or a similar emulator's) quirks, and therefore might not work in all other emulators.

BlargSNES is no doubt less accurate than Snes9x, since it's built for speed, and that will have an effect on compatibility. Whether that's the reason this particular ROM hack won't work though is hard to say, because most emulators are a clusterfuck and Snes9x might have some ugly hack that allows it to work.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Dec 28, 2015