Super Mario Odyssey level editor

Hi everyone, i'd like to introduce you to my latest project I teased a while ago on my youtube channel:
OdysseyEditor
A Super Mario Odyssey level editor

2nrpsmf.jpg

The name pretty much says it all, it can open and edit odyssey levels.
Other than editing levels it can also load and edit byml and szs files from the game (and probably other switch games).
There is still much research to be done, any contribution on Github is welcome.
To use it you need your own dump of the game, don't ask here how to get it.

Hotkeys list and other info.
Download here
Nightly builds (These don't auto update, you have to manually check for new builds)
Requires Window 7,8,9,10 and .NET framework 4.5.2

zkiw7l.jpg

14dkbqa.jpg

qn42lt.jpg

345n9tj.jpg

FAQ:
Windows Defender won't let me run it.
This is normal for "Homebrew" software, as this doesn't have a digital signature nor it's in Microsoft's databases it warns you that it might be a virus, click on more options and run anyway.

The only way i could remove this warning is to and digitally sign the exe, but buying a certificate costs $$$
If you don't trust the exe you can check the code on Github and compile it yourself.

Some models look worse than in-game.
As levels are much more complex than 3D Land, to improve performances the editor loads the furthest LOD of each model (aka the lowest quality)

The editor is laggy
Unfortunately you need a decent pc to run it, on my gaming laptop from late 2016 most of the levels run fine, but some of the most crowded ones like the city are laggy.

To improve the performances while editing you can hide models you don't need like backgrounds, skies, etc

Last edited by exelix11,

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Making the whole editor as a plugin would require an insane ammount of work, since it should be rewritten from scratch and most importantly the .Net framework takes care of a lot of things that should be implemented manually in that context (the same reason i didn't do it in Unity as MasterF0x suggested).
Also the editor doesn't just consists in loading and displaying levels, there are other things that need attention like the property editing , Linked objects editing (that took quite some work), clipboard, undo stack, etc.
And the performances should also be considered, both Blender and 3DSmax use a scripted language that is most likely going to be slower than c#, so you'll have a smooth 3d rendering and a slow UI for the editor.
I'm not saying that it's impossible, but just very hard, it shoud have been the objective from the start.
Either way i wouldn't have done it as the language i'm most confident with is C# and i never used python before.
You are right. The plugins work by Phyton. You're right, it's better to continue improving your tooling, I wish I could collaborate, but I'm just the typical end user, my programming skills are very clumsy, not to say basic (trying to study them has led to health problems). But maybe this sounds a little confidential, but I could somehow study the program with which these scenes were created (nintendo middleware) to at least optimize the program.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You are right. The plugins work by Phyton. You're right, it's better to continue improving your tooling, I wish I could collaborate, but I'm just the typical end user, my programming skills are very clumsy, not to say basic (trying to study them has led to health problems). But maybe this sounds a little confidential, but I could somehow study the program with which these scenes were created (nintendo middleware) to at least optimize the program.
The middleware is just for creating bfres, their level editor (called stageTool in 3d land iirc) was built for the puropose by the team and is not part of the nintendo middleware kit

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
hey

I tried to use this but after i select the folder with mario odyssey in (the .xci file) it brings up an error.

"Loading Form"
"Unhandled except has occured in your applicastion. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Could not find part of trhe path "I:\oddysey\ObjectData".

If i click continue, it says extracting textures... but does nothing.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
hey

I tried to use this but after i select the folder with mario odyssey in (the .xci file) it brings up an error.

"Loading Form"
"Unhandled except has occured in your applicastion. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Could not find part of trhe path "I:\oddysey\ObjectData".

If i click continue, it says extracting textures... but does nothing.
You must extract the files

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
thanks.. i properly extracted it now.

However when i choose the folder, nothing actually shows up in the oddysey editor. I can browse all the szs files in the ObjectData file whilst in windows.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
thanks.. i properly extracted it now.

However when i choose the folder, nothing actually shows up in the oddysey editor. I can browse all the szs files in the ObjectData file whilst in windows.
Close the editor and delete the models folder, launch it and let it do the texture extraction. Now click on File -> Open and open a level from the StageData folder of the game. Only the files ending with map are actual levels.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, @Psionic Roshambo sorry but im not that used to listening to non game music +1