Super Mario Odyssey level editor

Hi everyone, i'd like to introduce you to my latest project I teased a while ago on my youtube channel:
OdysseyEditor
A Super Mario Odyssey level editor

2nrpsmf.jpg

The name pretty much says it all, it can open and edit odyssey levels.
Other than editing levels it can also load and edit byml and szs files from the game (and probably other switch games).
There is still much research to be done, any contribution on Github is welcome.
To use it you need your own dump of the game, don't ask here how to get it.

Hotkeys list and other info.
Download here
Nightly builds (These don't auto update, you have to manually check for new builds)
Requires Window 7,8,9,10 and .NET framework 4.5.2

zkiw7l.jpg

14dkbqa.jpg

qn42lt.jpg

345n9tj.jpg

FAQ:
Windows Defender won't let me run it.
This is normal for "Homebrew" software, as this doesn't have a digital signature nor it's in Microsoft's databases it warns you that it might be a virus, click on more options and run anyway.

The only way i could remove this warning is to and digitally sign the exe, but buying a certificate costs $$$
If you don't trust the exe you can check the code on Github and compile it yourself.

Some models look worse than in-game.
As levels are much more complex than 3D Land, to improve performances the editor loads the furthest LOD of each model (aka the lowest quality)

The editor is laggy
Unfortunately you need a decent pc to run it, on my gaming laptop from late 2016 most of the levels run fine, but some of the most crowded ones like the city are laggy.

To improve the performances while editing you can hide models you don't need like backgrounds, skies, etc

Last edited by exelix11,

loler55

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Next Thing is that we can Change the musik from Breath of wild to some ocarina and majoras masks + windwaker songs and voilla the Game is 100% much better.....
Nice to play some completely different Games as oddesey as romhacks .... i Hope of Harder sophisticated Worlds.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Next Thing is that we can Change the musik from Breath of wild to some ocarina and majoras masks + windwaker songs and voilla the Game is 100% much better.....
Nice to play some completely different Games as oddesey as romhacks .... i Hope of Harder sophisticated Worlds.
More Story a littlebit how papermario

Reactions: Frostypowerup

Perfect One

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Are you the one who exported a false level of Delfino Island?

With this tool, faking Isle Delfino like we could see in the 'leaked' odyssey dlc video should be VERY easy.

So, author of this tool or someone else which had this or a similar tool could do that.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've got a question. Am I able to make the levels as big as I want (like 5 times bigger than a kingdom's size), or are there any size limitations?
Great work btw! :)
Probably with careful resource managing it would possible (like 3d land\world where the developers manually set areas that hide objects out of the view), but as i said, there is no way of running the custom levels in the game yet.

Maybe you can work a little on the rendering and lights.
Unfortunately I have no experience with OpenTK and other 3d engines, the one i'm using is relatibely easy to setup but pretty limited, also to improve performances i've disabled anti aliasing and multiple lights, in the next builds i'll try to improve the rendering quality, but the only proper way is to switch to another engine.
As the project is open source contributions are welcome, if anyone has the right knowledge to implement a better rendering control and wants to help just contact me.
EDIT: Note that Unreal and Unity are out of the question since the rendering control must be embedded in a Windows form, so the main options are OpenTK and SharpDX (that are .net wrappers for OpenGL and DirectX respectively)

Reactions: Frostypowerup

Imancol

Otak Productions
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Probably with careful resource managing it would possible (like 3d land\world where the developers manually set areas that hide objects out of the view), but as i said, there is no way of running the custom levels in the game yet.

Unfortunately I have no experience with OpenTK and other 3d engines, the one i'm using is relatibely easy to setup but pretty limited, also to improve performances i've disabled anti aliasing and multiple lights, in the next builds i'll try to improve the rendering quality, but the only proper way is to switch to another engine.
As the project is open source contributions are welcome, if anyone has the right knowledge to implement a better rendering control and wants to help just contact me.
EDIT: Note that Unreal and Unity are out of the question since the rendering control must be embedded in a Windows form, so the main options are OpenTK and SharpDX (that are .net wrappers for OpenGL and DirectX respectively)
But it should not be exactly just that tool, and Unity and Unreal Engine does not have the facility to incorporate new functions. Although Blender and 3DMAx supports plugin. Could through plugin load said textures in those 3D editors ?, the rendering would no longer be necessary. Only one method of Import and export through plugin

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
But it should not be exactly just that tool, and Unity and Unreal Engine does not have the facility to incorporate new functions. Although Blender and 3DMAx supports plugin. Could through plugin load said textures in those 3D editors ?, the rendering would no longer be necessary. Only one method of Import and export through plugin
Making the whole editor as a plugin would require an insane ammount of work, since it should be rewritten from scratch and most importantly the .Net framework takes care of a lot of things that should be implemented manually in that context (the same reason i didn't do it in Unity as MasterF0x suggested).
Also the editor doesn't just consists in loading and displaying levels, there are other things that need attention like the property editing , Linked objects editing (that took quite some work), clipboard, undo stack, etc.
And the performances should also be considered, both Blender and 3DSmax use a scripted language that is most likely going to be slower than c#, so you'll have a smooth 3d rendering and a slow UI for the editor.
I'm not saying that it's impossible, but just very hard, it shoud have been the objective from the start.
Either way i wouldn't have done it as the language i'm most confident with is C# and i never used python before.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...