Super Mario Odyssey level editor

Hi everyone, i'd like to introduce you to my latest project I teased a while ago on my youtube channel:
OdysseyEditor
A Super Mario Odyssey level editor

2nrpsmf.jpg

The name pretty much says it all, it can open and edit odyssey levels.
Other than editing levels it can also load and edit byml and szs files from the game (and probably other switch games).
There is still much research to be done, any contribution on Github is welcome.
To use it you need your own dump of the game, don't ask here how to get it.

Hotkeys list and other info.
Download here
Nightly builds (These don't auto update, you have to manually check for new builds)
Requires Window 7,8,9,10 and .NET framework 4.5.2

zkiw7l.jpg

14dkbqa.jpg

qn42lt.jpg

345n9tj.jpg

FAQ:
Windows Defender won't let me run it.
This is normal for "Homebrew" software, as this doesn't have a digital signature nor it's in Microsoft's databases it warns you that it might be a virus, click on more options and run anyway.

The only way i could remove this warning is to and digitally sign the exe, but buying a certificate costs $$$
If you don't trust the exe you can check the code on Github and compile it yourself.

Some models look worse than in-game.
As levels are much more complex than 3D Land, to improve performances the editor loads the furthest LOD of each model (aka the lowest quality)

The editor is laggy
Unfortunately you need a decent pc to run it, on my gaming laptop from late 2016 most of the levels run fine, but some of the most crowded ones like the city are laggy.

To improve the performances while editing you can hide models you don't need like backgrounds, skies, etc

Last edited by exelix11,

Yoshimaster96

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For performance, I might suggest a .NET 3D library that can access the GPU, such as SharpGL or OpenTK (WPF 3D can do this, but not very well IIRC).
Regarding the above, try to stay away from unnecessarily high system requirements, such as requiring OpenGL 4.6 for a program that only uses basic diffuse shading like yours.
Also, consider using WinForms instead of WPF, as it's cross-platform and can run on Mac and Linux using Mono (SharpGL and OpenTK can both work on WinForms).
Lastly, I might suggest documenting the EditorCore a bit, because it seems it'd be useful for modding 3D games in general, and it would make it easier to use for other games.

Other than that, the editor looks promising! Keep up the good work!

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
For performance, I might suggest a .NET 3D library that can access the GPU, such as SharpGL or OpenTK (WPF 3D can do this, but not very well IIRC).
Regarding the above, try to stay away from unnecessarily high system requirements, such as requiring OpenGL 4.6 for a program that only uses basic diffuse shading like yours.
Also, consider using WinForms instead of WPF, as it's cross-platform and can run on Mac and Linux using Mono (SharpGL and OpenTK can both work on WinForms).
Lastly, I might suggest documenting the EditorCore a bit, because it seems it'd be useful for modding 3D games in general, and it would make it easier to use for other games.

Other than that, the editor looks promising! Keep up the good work!
I've tried using OpenTK but that's very low level, like you have to implement your own camera, shader and rendering code. Tbh it was a lot of stuff to and i wanted something plug-and-play to get working on the editor and without spending too much time on the 3d viewer. The wpf lib i'm using handles all by itself i just need to load the models, I know no multiplatform but there is no easy to use 3D lib for winforms.
That said, anyone is free to contribute, the renderer is a separate project and a native implementation would be nice.
EditorCore is not ready yet, i'll make a guide for making extensions before releasing it.

Last edited by exelix11,

KillzXGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having troubles getting kcl to work, maybe it won't make it into next release
Is there something wrong with the KCL library? I've had them work perfectly fine so far and if they get loaded like bfres and with the same transformations/positions from byml they should be fine.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is there something wrong with the KCL library? I've had them work perfectly fine so far and if they get loaded like bfres and with the same transformations/positions from byml they should be fine.
kcl to obj works, but obj to kcl doesn't. I've also tried to implement my own converter and it's sorta working but not good enough for custom levels.

Last edited by exelix11,

KillzXGaming

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kcl to obj works, but obj to kcl doesn't. I've also tried to implement my own converter and it's sorta working but not good enough for custom levels.
Oh i see. The library doesn't rebuild them properly. Mainly octrees which I believe cause the game to crash. There is a build used by mk8 with EveryFileExplorer which had proper KCL saving with proper octree calculation, just needs it's endianness changed to little to work with switch games. Should be pretty useful.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Oh i see. The library doesn't rebuild them properly. Mainly octrees which I believe cause the game to crash. There is a build used by mk8 with EveryFileExplorer which had proper KCL saving with proper octree calculation, just needs it's endianness changed to little to work with switch games. Should be pretty useful.
Used that as my base just changing endianness didn't work,I've implemented the global octree thing now the central part of the model works while the rest is glitchy.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm still working on this project, but unfortunately ensuring stable releases takes too much time so i've decided to release alpha and beta versions with every commit that includes significant enough changes, i'll be uploading them here: https://mega.nz/#F!MRhBgYTS!M7N6JrWVkH-3pmpmyAgHxg
These builds don't update automatically so you'll have to periodically check for new releases.

exelix11

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

TWilliamson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Figured out how to extract the game's files and had a go at using this editor. This is really impressive and it didn't take long to make a basic level. Do you have any plans to improve the camera/object movement in the near future? I found that I had to realign the camera using the cube in the bottom right before I could drag an object perfectly along an axis (please correct me if I am missing an already implemented function). But I'm totally aware that you have stated this is not user-friendly, was just curious :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool