1. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Maniac

I've got an n3DS, how is the 3D implementation for you? I tried it out and there seems to be quite a lot of glitching in terms of draw in on the sides of the screen that isn't present in the 2D version.

Really? I'm pretty sure I tried the 800PX AA Vanilla and it looked and performed the best as everything was crisp and looked better than it ever had. Why dump half the res and AA for 60 FPS as this isn't a game that truly needs it.

2. Zense

Zense GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Italy
    He specifically said it was to get the best "performance", which for some people refers to raw fps achieved.

zerofalcon likes this.
  3. JVF

JVF Member
    Newcomer

I have an old 3DS, and Gericom's build is the one that works better for me, although mkst's version doesn't lag in the penguin's slide or in most of the Tower of the Wing Cap (it still does when turtle surfing or using the cap in Bob-omb Battlefield). As another other user mentioned, audio may be a factor here because I also found that sudden lagging with the music in Cool Cool Mountain standing still, but I don't think this is it, because in Jolly Roger Bay, if you set the camera and you just look at the wall, the level's lag disappears. @mkst Maybe you could use that extended RAM that games like Mario Maker or Smash Bros use? Idk how all of this works though.

I've been trying different builds, both resolutions and enabling/disabling AA, but I didn't find any performance differencies. However it's still amazing and very enjoyable, I can't thank all of you enough for making this, playing the original M64 on my 3DS it's almost like a dream come true to me.

4. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Regular

Have you tried the multi-threaded updates?

Sound has been moved to syscore in the latest updates, it should give a performance boost.

5. Mikitok

Mikitok GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    why not link? this site s.........

6. stranno

stranno GBAtemp Regular

Its the regular Mkst port.

https://github.com/mkst/sm64-port/

You have to compile it yourself, of course.

7. lone_wolf323

lone_wolf323 GBAtemp Psycho!

Canada
    You should know by now its copyright material for the full actual cia of this. With how long youve been complaining. you would of had a lot of time to go get the cia yourself. installed it. and be long off playing the game.

8. mkst

mkst Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Anyone running the latest commit on an O3DS that is having audio stutter, please reach out to me directly on the SM64 discord. If you're running Luma 10.1 or above you shouldn't have lag when using the cap/surfing turtle etc. In the code I try to use 80% of CPU1 (the one dedicated to the OS), if you press the HOME button you should find it to be *really* laggy. If the game is laggy but the 3DS home menu isn't, then its likely failing to set the 80% usage and is falling back to CPU0 (which will be laggy).

On N3DS it uses CPU2.

RE: extended RAM; it's the CPU that is holding back performance, if the sound mixer can be rewritten to take advantage of what few 'advanced' instructions the CPU has, that might help; I've not heard anything from Gericom as to whether he's had any luck running unsigned code on the DSP - I couldn't find anything on Google so I think that's probably beyond our reach.

VinsCool, JVF, peteruk and 2 others like this.
  9. JVF

JVF Member
    Newcomer

I thought I was but looks like I didn't (sorry for the misinformation), because I just compiled the last commit and the diference is ABYSMAL; regarding what I said before, Dire Dire Docks goes perfect most of the time, Cool Cool Mountain music is fixed and wing cap and turtle surfing run full speed when there aren't many objects around (in the tower and escalating the mountain in Bob-omb Battlefield). Even at 800px with AA the game runs great for me. And yeah, @mkst, my HOME menu got very very laggy. However, the .cia I made was a little more laggy than the .3dsx, and both slowed down the menu; is there a reason for this? I just followed the tutorial for Ubuntu.

10. 01y

01y Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    Would love this!

11. mkst

mkst Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Generally abysmal has negative connotations, but I think you're using it to mean there is a big difference between the versions?

The reason the HOME menu lags is because we're stealing CPU cycles from it (i.e. 80% of the CPU is dedicated to Super Mario's audio, leaving only 20% for the OS, normally it's 100% for the OS). I don't know enough about the low-level differences between .3dsx and .cia (3dsx launches via homebrew launcher, .cia from home screen) as to why .cia would be slower.

Ok, I will try to add this and report back.

Zense likes this.
  12. PainToad

PainToad GBAtemp Regular

Any advice on converting a
    DaedalusX64 PSP save to this? I’ve tried renaming the file - no luck.

13. mkst

mkst Newbie
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    This is done; add **DISABLE_AUDIO=1** to the arguments to disable audio, e.g. **make DISABLE_AUDIO=1**. Be sure to do a 'make clean' first if you've already compiled once.

I'd be interested in a comparison video of O3DS with audio on 2nd CPU versus O3ds with disabled audio.

01y and stranno like this.
  14. JVF

JVF Member
    Newcomer

Sorry, I was talking about a very old and slow build that I was using, not yours, hence the a̶b̶y̶s̶m̶a̶l̶ difference for me. I think the .cia is slower because of cxitool, as an user mentioned here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/cxitool-convert-3dsx-to-cia-directly.440385/page-5#post-9049326. I tried building a .cia based on the .elf file, but it doesn't take advantage of the OS CPU as the home menu runs normal (something on the .rsf is not properly set I think).

Edit: I just realised, in my language "abismal" means "colossal", I'm really sorry, it was a false friend...

Edit 2: I've been trying different stuff and using a ridiculously large value in a field called "MaxCPU" seems to match the speed I have with the .3dsx, I don't know if I'm overclocking my 3DS or what.

Last edited by JVF, Sep 23, 2020
  15. replicashooter

replicashooter GBAtemp Maniac

You the type of cat, wanna marry your lover and go to the end of earth for her, like Mario Brothers.

Zense likes this.
  16. MarioKartFan

OP MarioKartFan GBAtemp Regular

Algeria
    this is. Wow.

17. PkStarzone

PkStarzone Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I wonder, is the save file compatable with all version of Mario 64 ports?

Like, if I have it on 3DS can I move the save file to the PC version of Mario 64?

18. kenseiden

kenseiden i am overflow

United States
    Yes, it is compatible across all versions. I transferred my sm64_save_file.bin from my N2DSXL to the PC version and the progress carried over.

19. Smoker1

Smoker1 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Wondering if it would be possible for a HD Build of this, of would that possibly be a bit much for it to handle?

20. MarioKartFan

OP MarioKartFan GBAtemp Regular

Algeria
    Not clear what you mean. There is an 800px option, which is as close to HD as you are going to get on a 3DS.

Smoker1 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Super, Mario,