FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can this be ported to the hd remake?
It mentioned in the opening post that it is not really viable on hardware and had to be sped up to do that.

Anyway I don't know that I would port it as much as remake it.

Most 3d games have 2 main areas it considers
1) The radius around the player
2) The limit of the camera/draw distance. With the source code we saw this one made to basically unlimited.
A third might be the camera itself that has fancy tricks or just only renders what is visible (you might have seen some of the failures of widescreen hacks, this is but one aspect, not rendering things which are blocked by objects is another). Here I might also not spawn things on camera and use the not seen by camera aspect to handle spawning so it does not look odd (it is mario so you will be changing directions/view hundreds of times before you get anywhere)

Anyway I was watching the video above and it looks like draw distance is the main thing, though might be both that and enemies react radius.
From the hidden coin stuff it seems enemies spawn and basically slam to the floor which is nice as that means you can probably just spawn them at height and have them land where they need to be.
At this point you either spawn in a random, psuedorandom (might be easier than massive list of random) or maybe prebaked random table at height and they will appear there in the game.
I don't know if there is an enemy count per level limit (or RAM limit) but that should not be so bad.

If you wanted to do this for the source released versions then that would be a nice little project. Not quite read what it says and react accordingly coding but certainly one that would make a nice beginner project -- maybe start with just always being followed by one (if I was funny I would make it an immortal one as well but I will leave that there for now) and from there you can figure out how to spawn them all the way to the draw barrier (or maybe less than that if it is a PC one with infinite draw distance).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: