New romhack converts unreleased Super Mario 64DD content to cartridge version

7484titlescreen.png

Before the Japan-only Nintendo 64 Disk Drive was quietly discontinued and forgotten, Nintendo was working on a port of Super Mario 64 to the new disk technology. Presumably a tech demo, it never saw the light of day, however, an early development disk was found and dumped online, preserving it. This version of Super Mario 64 doesn't change much from the original release, though it does feature improved textures and music changes.

A romhacker by the name of Zoinkity decided to take those slight changes, patch a major bug, and release it as a romhack of the original N64 version of the game, available as an xdelta patch on Romhacking.net.

The disk build of Super Mario 64 was a hastily-made promotional piece that was little more than a sliced up cartridge ROM (see readme). This patch reassembles the original ROM and switches disk read requests with cart requests. Disk saves are replaced with EEPROM saves, thereby eliminating the two things that made this version at all interesting.

As a bonus, the Wiggler health bug was also corrected so it should be possible to collect all 120 stars.

To distinguish the patched file from other cartridge versions, the internal name reads “SUPER MARIO 64DD”, the version is -1, and a timestamp was applied.

:arrow: Source

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hypocritical site where everyone is pirating but just can't come out to say it cuz they are scared for repercussions. Spineless.
are you... trolling...?
Pretty much everyone here openly say they do pirate games
Not much people hide it here on this site

The only thing though, is that you are not allowed to share any link to site that infringe copyright, because if you do and moderators/admins dont delete the link/post, then the whole website could get shut down

The reason why GBAtemp is still up is because all what we do is very legal. Hacking a console is legal. Homebrew are legal. It's what you do with them that MAY be illegal

Aserl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are you... trolling...?

The only thing though, is that you are not allowed to share any link to site that infringe copyright, because if you do and moderators/admins dont delete the link/post, then the whole website could get shut down

The reason why GBAtemp is still up is because all what we do is very legal. Hacking a console is legal. Homebrew are legal. It's what you do with them that MAY be illegal
True
Tbh I just pirate because I'm broke and I don't wanna kill my disc drive anyway
And have you SEEN prices for Wii/GC now?!
F**k that, just let me use [REDACTED].net in peace

Chrisssj2

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
are you... trolling...?

So everyone does it, but we deciding it to keep it not public, cuz were scared of what?? just a bunch of bullies really. so sick and tired of this mentality and humans.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So everyone does it, but we deciding it to keep it not public, cuz were scared of what?? just a bunch of bullies really. so sick and tired of this mentality and humans.
Read again what i said...
No one hide it here
No one is scarred of anything here

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Isn't that version of the game in 4:3? 🤨 (not the textures)

It feels like a downgrade going back to that resolution for games available now in 16:9.
Uhhhmm Aspect Ratio isn't the same as Resolution.
Also having played the PC port since it was first avaliable i can tell why the All Stars version isn't 16:9. Alot of those maps weren't desinged with 16:9 in mind.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Uhhhmm Aspect Ratio isn't the same as Resolution.
Also having played the PC port since it was first avaliable i can tell why the All Stars version isn't 16:9. Alot of those maps weren't desinged with 16:9 in mind.
Yeah, I know it's not, it's just that Nintendo should have offered the game in 16:9.

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure it has, but my point was why aren't stuff like this being produced for that decompilation? Instead of making rom hacks that only work on nintendo 64.
Yes, the decompilation and most major enhancements are done too. For example you can play in 4k native widescreen, 60fps, analog camera, redone high-polygon character models, and new textures. It really does make Mario64 look and play extremely modern.

After that, it's hard to go back to a vanilla rom, so are the 64DD items enough to warrant another playthrough at original quality?
I know it's just semantics but you guys are talking about PC port not decompilation... plenty of people still use it to make n64 hacks because the modified decomp that is ported to pc... isn't really all that great programming-wise and most people think making it work on n64 is part of the charm of it especially since you can run n64 emulators anywhere rather then having to make a dedicated port to every system you want it on.

Reactions: krakenx

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know it's just semantics but you guys are talking about PC port not decompilation... plenty of people still use it to make n64 hacks because the modified decomp that is ported to pc... isn't really all that great programming-wise and most people think making it work on n64 is part of the charm of it especially since you can run n64 emulators anywhere rather then having to make a dedicated port to every system you want it on.
Don't some n64 emulators still have issues? I mean people said nintendo 64 on switch had more problems than the one on wii u or wii. From some experience, some games I tried on emulator also don't emulate properly. Some games are faster than actual console or doesn't slow down when it should. :ninja:

LuigiBlood

Mage Robot
Trophies
Website
luigiblood.neocities.org
XP
Country
France
Keep in mind there are also cartridge versions of all the 64DD games that Zoinkity made years ago.
But it needs to be said: This is mostly for flashcart users, because you can emulate the 64DD perfectly fine in Project64, Ares and mupen64plus (though use RMG to play it) and just play the actual game disks.

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
are you... trolling...?
Hacking a console is legal.
Are you? Because it is quite obvious you are not a lawyer. Incidentally, it is illegal to offer legal advice unless you are a lawyer. <-- Nothing I write, of course, should be misconstrued as legal advice. :ha:

Your local laws may vary, but here in the US: The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which revised US copyright laws in 1998 for the internet age, established criminal and civil penalties for picking a digital lock used to safeguard copyrighted work. The law’s hacking ban gives copyright owners the right to control access to their work, even when a hacker doesn’t intend to infringe the work’s copyright. In other words, a violation of the DMCA doesn’t require copyright infringement.

• Angry
Reactions: PopcornSweetie

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you? Because it is quite obvious you are not a lawyer. Incidentally, it is illegal to offer legal advice unless you are a lawyer. <-- Nothing I write, of course, should be misconstrued as legal advice. :ha:

Your local laws may vary, but here in the US: The Digital Millennium Copyright Act, which revised US copyright laws in 1998 for the internet age, established criminal and civil penalties for picking a digital lock used to safeguard copyrighted work. The law’s hacking ban gives copyright owners the right to control access to their work, even when a hacker doesn’t intend to infringe the work’s copyright. In other words, a violation of the DMCA doesn’t require copyright infringement.
I'm not sure you get what "illegal" means
It means the governement can punish you, either with fine or time in jail.
In the case of hacking a console, the company who made it will punish you, either by voiding your warranty (by modding it) or by banning you from their server (when they actually detect you)

From what I know, hacking a console is totally legal. The console is yours, you do whatever you want with it. However, using copyrighted content on it such as roms, THAT is illegal
Dumping rom IS illegal, but creating a way to dump them (the homebrew) ISNT illegal,

It's all about WHAT you will do with it
Here's a thread about the common myths of the emulation world :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/piracy-common-myths.344858/

Reactions: Blythe93

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/3eGAHfC5P-Y?si=Fo3iEl1pZ4D_O6dp +1