Super Goomba 2.0

Asaki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this is still of interest to anyone, but after many, many years I've added some updates to my old Super Goomba fork (which then got added to Kuwanger's fork, and now I've forked it again!).
I'd always wanted to make some modifications to the default borders available, and last year, I decided to finally sit down and do that.
  • Black - just a regular, old, pure '0 0 0' black border
  • bg0, bg1, bg2, bg3 - set to match the ROM's background layer palette colors
  • gap - I know it's a terrible name, but it's a bg3 colored border with a four-pixel margin around the screen. It really gives some games a little breathing room, like on a real GameBoy.

• I also updated the 3DS Virtual Console palette to use the actual values, dumped from internal 3DS files, before the shader file (?) dims them. I've added that ugly green 3DS VC palette too.
  • I added a palette from the official Nintendo GB dev kit, as posted on Frank Cifaldi's Twitter.
  • And last, but not least, I added a palette that's based on official JPG screenshots of Link's Awakening from the 35th Anniversary Legend of Zelda Game & Watch. I would have liked to source the actual internal values, but I haven't been able to track down any files online, and I can't be bothered to try hacking my own. If anyone can help, that would be great.
Note: This is the original Goomba, not Goomba Color.

goomba_raw.gba is quite barebones
goomba_with_all_palletes.gba has the SGB and GBC palettes appended to it

There are too many other combinations to include the custom borders as well, but it's simple to do yourself:

Code:
copy /b goomba_raw.gba+BORDER_FILENAME.bin+PALETTE_FILENAME.pal goomba_NEW_FILENAME.gba

https://www.mediafire.com/file/up42xs1w1vmcr2f/goomba241.zip/file

I was going through quite a bit of brain fog at the time, and I'm afraid I've made quite a mess of the source, and I apologize to anyone who might poke through it.

super-goomba-1.png

super-goomba-2.png

super-goomba-3.png

super-goomba-4.png

Asaki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice - I had long been meaning to capture a better standard green palette than the pea soup one.
I like Pea Soup a lot, but the G&W palette is really nice too.
The 3DS VC palette has a nice GB Pocket feel to it.

Attachments

• goomba_test_OUT.png
    goomba_test_OUT.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 16

Asaki

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what are the commands for linux I'm on arch (steamOS3)
That's a good question, maybe someone else can help.
I just did a bit of searching, and it doesn't look like anyone has ported the frontend to any other platforms.
Straight from Dwedit: "all you do is concatenate GB files onto the end of goomba.gba."
Which sounds like a very Linux way to do things =)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto