Summer Game Fest's Special Wednesday Showcase: Unreal Engine 5 announced

Summer Game Fest's special event is set to go live later today, giving us reveals and news for upcoming games due out in the future. As previously announced, Summer Game Fest will be an event that spans multiple months, from May all the way to August. According to the presenter, Geoff Keighley, it'll be "one of the more important moments this summer", for gaming. Whether or not that'll be true, well, you'll have to see for yourself when the livestream kicks off today at 8am PT/10am CT. Keep an eye on this thread, because we'll be covering every major announcement made.

Live Coverage

The first thing we see is the Epic Games logo. They're introducing virtualized geometry, Nanite, and Lumen, a new technology for game engines.

We see a gameplay demo for an upcoming PlayStation 5 game, running with Epic's Unreal Engine assets. These graphics use 8K textures, as Nanite allows for games to process such geometry and accurate shading without tanking performance.

Their audio rendering has also improved, giving a more immersive sound experience.

It has seamless contextual events with special animations. Light sources also can be used as gameplay elements, with the shadows adapting to the lights on the fly. 16 billion triangles are being rendered for the statues in the demo, let alone the rest of the environment and models. Limitless geometry, global illumination, all on the PS5. All realtime footage.

This is Unreal Engine 5. Coming 2021.

Fortnite will be coming to the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X at launch. In the future, Fortnite will be moving over to Unreal Engine 5.

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn, it seems like it was just yesterday that I was gawking over the Unreal Engine 4's demo. This one is just as stunning as that one was. Now if we could just get a demonstration of a PC game, then we can see what the engine is REALLY capable of.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
wtf oO
just watching that demo video in 4K and this looks incredibly realistic !

lets hope that developers make good use of it ... you probably still need very good grafic artists and good programmers ... well a whole team of people who know what they are doing.

James_

aka Underscore_ or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well holy shit Unreal Engine 5 is the dictionary definition of amazing

and of course Fortnite's gonna be a launch title for XBOX SX and PS5 like come on is anyone surprised about this

Reactions: slimbizzy

slimbizzy

call me watchu want
Trophies
Website
linktr.ee
XP
Country
Canada
Well holy shit Unreal Engine 5 is the dictionary definition of amazing

and of course Fortnite's gonna be a launch title for XBOX SX and PS5 like come on is anyone surprised about this
I was actually a little. I not even kidding completely forgot about Fortnite until I saw that comment. lmao

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This video is cool. I want to know what game is it ? I love Indian jones style like Uncharted. And I cannot care about Fortnite game. Not my things.

Reactions: Patxinco

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"These graphics use 8K textures,"

Many the PS5 is gonna be a mess behind, what with 16 HDMI cables going out to all my 1080p screens.

RedoLane

Supreme Punmaster
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Simply incredible. I'm very proud of my eyesight, which is why I can finally say that playable cinematic games will be a reality.
There are already a few of these, but they have...limited assets so some of the controllable characters don't feel natural.
If performance gonna be great in a matter of a few years, in my opinion, that's the peak of gaming performance with graphics and physics in mind.
The only thing that can go beyond that is more user-friendly VR technology(with more body compatibility, not just hands and head)

xtrem3x

Trophies
XP
Country
So this is on a PS5, roughly at the top end of a mid range PC... I wonder what this would look like on a high end PC with the settings turned up a bit more :)

edit-
Also makes me wonder why we haven't seen this kind of thing on PC yet, guess it shows how consoles are understandably still a devs priority ::(

Last edited by xtrem3x,

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a tech demo, but supposedly in engine, we've heard this before, but I see no reason why it couldn't be.

If they're telling the truth and it's in engine on a PS5, then it looks like good tech.

I remember the days they spent 43 polys on environment, 19 on character model and 1096 on highly bitz (Tom Raider, Dead or Alive)

yoyoyo69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So this is on a PS5, roughly at the top end of a mid range PC... I wonder what this would look like on a high end PC with the settings turned up a bit more :)

edit-
Also makes me wonder why we haven't seen this kind of thing on PC yet, guess it shows how consoles are understandably still a devs priority ::(

Because we're very close to a console refresh AND these consoles have some of the new tech these futures depend on.

Rumour has it AMD and Nvidia have some impressive cards to unveil. Nvidia in September, expect AMD to reveal details there or ther abouts.

PC master race will be pleased

Bedel

The key of the blade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish they still give it for free with similiar conditions as ue4.
The tech demo is awesome. Maybe in some future they put it on the epic games store so we can try it in our pcs

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Every so often they only come around like once a year