1. 4,017

Front-page

Summer Game Fest's special event is set to go live later today, giving us reveals and news for upcoming games due out in the future. As previously announced, Summer Game Fest will be an event that spans multiple months, from May all the way to August. According to the presenter, Geoff Keighley, it'll be "one of the more important moments this summer", for gaming. Whether or not that'll be true, well, you'll have to see for yourself when the livestream kicks off today at 8am PT/10am CT. Keep an eye on this thread, because we'll be covering every major announcement made.

Live Coverage

The first thing we see is the Epic Games logo. They're introducing virtualized geometry, Nanite, and Lumen, a new technology for game engines.

We see a gameplay demo for an upcoming PlayStation 5 game, running with Epic's Unreal Engine assets. These graphics use 8K textures, as Nanite allows for games to process such geometry and accurate shading without tanking performance.

Their audio rendering has also improved, giving a more immersive sound experience.

It has seamless contextual events with special animations. Light sources also can be used as gameplay elements, with the shadows adapting to the lights on the fly. 16 billion triangles are being rendered for the statues in the demo, let alone the rest of the environment and models. Limitless geometry, global illumination, all on the PS5. All realtime footage.

This is Unreal Engine 5. Coming 2021.

Fortnite will be coming to the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X at launch. In the future, Fortnite will be moving over to Unreal Engine 5.

2. Discussion (51 replies)

3. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    playstation 5

Wiki'd and naughty_cat like this.
  4. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Damn, it seems like it was just yesterday that I was gawking over the Unreal Engine 4's demo. This one is just as stunning as that one was. Now if we could just get a demonstration of a PC game, then we can see what the engine is REALLY capable of.

Last edited by ChaosEternal, May 13, 2020
    SuperDan, Patxinco, Alato and 6 others like this.
  5. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Germany
    wtf oO
    just watching that demo video in 4K and this looks incredibly realistic !

lets hope that developers make good use of it ... you probably still need very good grafic artists and good programmers ... well a whole team of people who know what they are doing.

6. James_

James_ - ̗̀New ̖́- GBAtemp Meowstic XL

United Kingdom
    Well holy shit Unreal Engine 5 is the dictionary definition of amazing

and of course Fortnite's gonna be a launch title for XBOX SX and PS5 like come on is anyone surprised about this

TomRannd likes this.
  7. LightBeam

LightBeam GBAtemp Regular

France
    If the thing is using the same "eco system" as UE4, it could be an even bigger thing. Can't wait to see how it will be used.

TomRannd likes this.
  8. TomRannd

TomRannd GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I was actually a little. I not even kidding completely forgot about Fortnite until I saw that comment. lmao

9. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    This video is cool. I want to know what game is it ? I love Indian jones style like Uncharted. And I cannot care about Fortnite game. Not my things.

Patxinco likes this.
  10. Attila13

Attila13 Praise the Creep!

Romania
    It's a tech demo, not an actual real game. :mellow:

11. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    "These graphics use 8K textures,"

Many the PS5 is gonna be a mess behind, what with 16 HDMI cables going out to all my 1080p screens.

12. RedoLane

RedoLane Unemployed Punmaster

Israel
    Simply incredible. I'm very proud of my eyesight, which is why I can finally say that playable cinematic games will be a reality.
    There are already a few of these, but they have...limited assets so some of the controllable characters don't feel natural.
    If performance gonna be great in a matter of a few years, in my opinion, that's the peak of gaming performance with graphics and physics in mind.
    The only thing that can go beyond that is more user-friendly VR technology(with more body compatibility, not just hands and head)

13. xtrem3x

xtrem3x GBAtemp Regular

So this is on a PS5, roughly at the top end of a mid range PC... I wonder what this would look like on a high end PC with the settings turned up a bit more :)

edit-
    Also makes me wonder why we haven't seen this kind of thing on PC yet, guess it shows how consoles are understandably still a devs priority ::(

Last edited by xtrem3x, May 13, 2020
  14. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's a tech demo, but supposedly in engine, we've heard this before, but I see no reason why it couldn't be.

If they're telling the truth and it's in engine on a PS5, then it looks like good tech.

I remember the days they spent 43 polys on environment, 19 on character model and 1096 on highly bitz (Tom Raider, Dead or Alive)

15. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    I know. I want to know what game is this but I guess it is just a tech demo. I would love to see this demo to be reality, thought.

Attila13 likes this.
  16. yoyoyo69

yoyoyo69 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Because we're very close to a console refresh AND these consoles have some of the new tech these futures depend on.

Rumour has it AMD and Nvidia have some impressive cards to unveil. Nvidia in September, expect AMD to reveal details there or ther abouts.

PC master race will be pleased

17. bigfatToni

bigfatToni GBAtemp Fan

Italy
    holy s*** this is amazing.

18. Bedel

Bedel The key of the blade

United States
    I wish they still give it for free with similiar conditions as ue4.
    The tech demo is awesome. Maybe in some future they put it on the epic games store so we can try it in our pcs

19. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Lost Wanderer Who Sees No Evil

United States
    Inb4 all games made with this engine are to be made EGS-exclusive. Just watch!

20. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    I can hardly wait to see Super Mario 64 PC port running in Unreal 5.

21. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    the 1st link is blocked in my Country. @Chary

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Wednesday, announced, Showcase