Summer Game Fest's Special Wednesday Showcase: Unreal Engine 5 announced

Summer Game Fest's special event is set to go live later today, giving us reveals and news for upcoming games due out in the future. As previously announced, Summer Game Fest will be an event that spans multiple months, from May all the way to August. According to the presenter, Geoff Keighley, it'll be "one of the more important moments this summer", for gaming. Whether or not that'll be true, well, you'll have to see for yourself when the livestream kicks off today at 8am PT/10am CT. Keep an eye on this thread, because we'll be covering every major announcement made.

Live Coverage

The first thing we see is the Epic Games logo. They're introducing virtualized geometry, Nanite, and Lumen, a new technology for game engines.

We see a gameplay demo for an upcoming PlayStation 5 game, running with Epic's Unreal Engine assets. These graphics use 8K textures, as Nanite allows for games to process such geometry and accurate shading without tanking performance.

Their audio rendering has also improved, giving a more immersive sound experience.

It has seamless contextual events with special animations. Light sources also can be used as gameplay elements, with the shadows adapting to the lights on the fly. 16 billion triangles are being rendered for the statues in the demo, let alone the rest of the environment and models. Limitless geometry, global illumination, all on the PS5. All realtime footage.

This is Unreal Engine 5. Coming 2021.

Fortnite will be coming to the PlayStation 5 and the Xbox Series X at launch. In the future, Fortnite will be moving over to Unreal Engine 5.

Centrix

Stop Poking the Moogle!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OMG!! :D

I'll tell you what, I've seen all the gameplay trailers revealed the other day for XSX and this blows it away. I'd been wondering why Sony hasn't revealed anything yet on their PS5 game-wise and here we are, this looks incredible! I'm betting it's a PS5 exclusive. Microsoft might wanna step up their A-game lol :P

This should be an interesting next-gen war...cacan't wait to see what else the Big S has in the pipelines and to see the console unveiled!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Please link it? I searched for it just now but nothing.

This has got me remembering the game Deep Down.

WHY DID THEY NEVER DARNED RELEASE DEEP DOWN?!

You mean this demo it was shown on PS3, not 4 it seems....

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
OMG!! :D

I'll tell you what, I've seen all the gameplay trailers revealed the other day for XSX and this blows it away. I'd been wondering why Sony hasn't revealed anything yet on their PS5 game-wise and here we are, this looks incredible! I'm betting it's a PS5 exclusive. Microsoft might wanna step up their A-game lol :P

This should be an interesting next-gen war...cacan't wait to see what else the Big S has in the pipelines and to see the console unveiled!

You mean this demo it was shown on PS3, not 4 it seems....

The video itself says that is real-time PS4 footage, at the beginning.

I don't remember ever having seen that footage before. It looks interesting. Also, there is no commercial software that advanced looking on PS4.

What a joke of a generation this has mostly been.

There is no commercial software even on PC that advanced looking.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
THE 1ST link was blocked due content from WMG, no need use of VPN cauz all other links are fine.
An evil idea forms.

Wonder if I could get one of those ultrasonic directional speakers to broadcast the unhearable fingerprint sounds from places live broadcasts, videos might be recorded and whatever else.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Edit - whoops, someone already posted it (I've just this second got in from work! :lol:) But regarding that PS4 footage, well you're right, and it's good to see there is at least what looks like gameplay footage in this PS5 one, which makes it all the more impressive... and if maybe the PS5 can handle graphics on that scale at 1440p/30fps as they are suggesting, then it should handle the same visual fidelity, at 1080p, but at 60fps! I've watched the video at both 1440p and 1080p and while there's a difference, I'll be very happy if the PS5 can do that at 1080p/60!

Last edited by mightymuffy,

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It has already been posted. However, thank you regardless.

Edit - whoops, someone already posted it (I've just this second got in from work! :lol:) But regarding that PS4 footage, well you're right, and it's good to see there is at least what looks like gameplay footage in this PS5 one, which makes it all the more impressive... and if maybe the PS5 can handle graphics on that scale at 1440p/30fps as they are suggesting, then it should handle the same visual fidelity, at 1080p, but at 60fps! I've watched the video at both 1440p and 1080p and while there's a difference, I'll be very happy if the PS5 can do that at 1080p/60!
I don't think you can go down from 1440p to 1080p with that sort of game (or even most/any game) and go from 30fps to 60fps.

The tech demo is still great, though. Although I am against video games being made to run at 30fps.

Uncharted 4 on a standard PS4 targets 900p60 in Multiplayer and 1080p30 in Singleplayer.

However, the Multiplayer does not feature literally jaw-dropping set pieces that the Singleplayer does. They would likely be impossible to run at a targeted 60fps even at 900p.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,
Reactions: mightymuffy

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think you can go down from 1440p to 1080p with that sort of game (or even most/any game) and go from 30fps to 60fps.

The tech demo is still great, though. Although I am against video games being made to run at 30fps.
Yeah you can - possibly! 1440p is twice the number of pixels as 1080p, meaning the gpu theoretically has to do twice the amount of work. Cutting down the resolution to 1080p could give you enough grunt left over to double the framerate... I know it's not that simple, there's a lot more to it than that, but it's not impossible, and with both Sony and MS both pushing the 60fps boat (hell, they're even talking 120fps sometimes!) I think they'll want the option in there.

Reactions: Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think Uncharted 4 on PS4 Pro is set to 1440p30 in Singleplayer and 1080p60 for Multiplayer.

Yeah you can - possibly! 1440p is twice the number of pixels as 1080p, meaning the gpu theoretically has to do twice the amount of work. Cutting down the resolution to 1080p could give you enough grunt left over to double the framerate... I know it's not that simple, there's a lot more to it than that, but it's not impossible, and with both Sony and MS both pushing the 60fps boat (hell, they're even talking 120fps sometimes!) I think they'll want the option in there.
Your message is reassuring me!

Reactions: mightymuffy

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Looks so unimpressive. Game devs really need to learn to do more with less
There is the whole indie scene that seems to go in for that.

That said that does look like being able to do more with less input; doing all that from scratch would be a nightmare, doing it such you can pop it into Unreal sounds like that is a far more reasonable team effort.

I would not disagree to a statement along the lines of I miss more artistic interpretations rather than the pursuit of some idea of realism but that is a different matter.

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Here is a nice, shorter video. Official, too:

The original video works for me if it isn't for the two annoying white men showing themselves at the beginning.

Last edited by Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee,

Pokemon_Tea_Sea_Jee

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How will all the data for these film-quality assets fit on the SSD? Isn't it impractical to build an entire game with graphics like the Lumen demo (because there will not be any consumer device that can store it)?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    What if I want Ultra everything?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You'll look at $1400
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    $1000+
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google the laptops graphic chip for games streaming more then likely benched on YouTube
    That's a lot of money.
    I can pay it, but I'd rather eat better.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah just eat floor crumbs
    Juan's floor crumbs were always rat fur
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Change from real cheese, to government cheese, you'll save some money.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gotta get that government cheese one new laptop a year
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fucking Biden making us pay full internet prices
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Of course there is always, OnlyFans, or a GoFundMe, to raise some money.
    @BigOnYa are you on OnlyFans?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He gets his ramming funds from onlyfans
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea but my total income is negative, lol
    I would pay for watching someone eat food from the floor.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, stop spending the videos' budget on food
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No I've never even been to the site(honestly) but have heard of it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm half way at my savings for a new move
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Like a karate move? The flying dragon is cool.
    @BigOnYa if you've never been to the site how do you know about its contents?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Can he do a shoryuken?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @HiradeGirl, cuz of people mentioning it everywhere
    Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Someone here introduced me to it. Not gonna say who.