Suggestions to help noob flood

jgu1994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so here are some ideas that I created(and took from some other guy) with the help of some people on IRC.

First. Make it so that there is a test when you sign up for gbatemp, asking questions like, Can the r4 play gba games? Do we host roms? etc. That way the noobs will be separated from the people who actually know the basics of flash cards. This way, we won't have anymore topics on if the r4 can play gba. Also, if people were to get the questions wrong, they would be told what they did wrong, allowing them to learn, and make it so that they do not make any more mistakes.

Second. Use the karma system like at the old r4ds.net forum. This way, if someone posts a useless post, we - their karma, but if they post a useful or helpful post, we + their karma. Not only that but the karma system should be put to good use like instead of 100 posts for the trading section, it would be x amount of karma, and to ensure that no one tries to cheat the system, make it so that only people with x amount of posts and/or karma would be allowed to raise and decrease.

Finishing statement. If these were added, though i'm just giving ideas, the retarded topics on cannibalism, or how many posts you have, would lessen. Also, there would be less posts consisting of, lol, i was gonna say that, i agree,
shy.gif
cool.gif
blink.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif
, etc.

Plz don't flame me saying that these ideas are gay, etc. Just point out what is wrong with them, or say why they wouldn't work. Thx

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes to generally, but I would probably have less karma than "swordsmyth", and he scammed a whole bunch of people - I've passed around passmes and other hardware, and bought stuff for people that can't buy it themselves.

theorgan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
trolls do not care about karma. they will just make new accounts under facade emails and ip addresses. the separation also singles out people and makes them not feel wanted because it makes them feel they know nothing and can not add to these great hahahaha discussions on this board. bad idea.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Rather than a karma system on users, I'd rather see something like Digg's digg/bury system on comments. I've seen a lot of forums use it (or something similar) lately. It would allow users to 'bury' a post that doesn't belong in the topic its in or anyone on the forums if that's the case.

The way I see it with a user karma system, a user can gain negative karma and not really know why exactly, which may encourage them to leave the forums or provoke them to act like jerks (or in some cases, bigger jerks than they already are).

However, using a post 'karma' system, that same user might see that certain posts of theirs aren't accepted and may stop posting that type of posts, improving their posting habits hopefully.

IainDS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rather than a karma system on users, I'd rather see something like Digg's digg/bury system on comments. I've seen a lot of forums use it (or something similar) lately. It would allow users to 'bury' a post that doesn't belong in the topic its in or anyone on the forums if that's the case.

The way I see it with a user karma system, a user can gain negative karma and not really know why exactly, which may encoure them to leave the forums or provoke them to act like jerks (or in some cases, bigger jerks than they already are).

However, using a post 'karma' system, that same user might see that certain posts of theirs aren't accepted and may stop posting that type of posts, improving their posting habits hopefully.

I for one would like to see this implemented.

jgu1994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with what your saying Samutz, but is there anyway to combine the two?
I can't think of anything right now off the top of my head.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The way I see it with a user karma system, a user can gain negative karma and not really know why exactly, which may encourage them to leave the forums or provoke them to act like jerks (or in some cases, bigger jerks than they already are).

SCDeV has a karma system and you have to provide a short summary of why you gave/removed karma, for example
"Helped me" or "Said all SuperCards were crap without a reason". But I do agree that you should not be able to give/remove karma unless you have either over 100 posts OR a moderator has decided you are a nice, friendly and helpful member.

- Sam

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

I like'ed digg's thumbs up/down system. Before the upgrade, since now it's just a browser freezing pile of crap.
Anyways, I like this idea of a +1/-1 per post system. Realistically though, gbatemp's server would never support this kind of system (if it was all done via ajax).

And the karma system sucksisn't as great compared to a thumbs up/down per post system.

edit- sinkhead, I remember you from scdev. Thou haven't been there in a while..

LSSR

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i agree fully ^^ maybe increase the amount of posts by 100 to 200 lol it's easy to get 100 posts if im dedicated i could do that in a night (on forums that intresest me ie:Anime)

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The karma thing has been brought up so many times, but the fact still remains that it's absolutely useless. Really, so someone has bad karma, this will stop them from being annoying how?

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP

I like'ed digg's thumbs up/down system. Before the upgrade, since now it's just a browser freezing pile of crap.
Anyways, I like this idea of a +1/-1 per post system. Realistically though, gbatemp's server would never support this kind of system (if it was all done via ajax).

And the karma system sucksisn't as great compared to a thumbs up/down per post system.

edit- sinkhead, I remember you from scdev. Thou haven't been there in a while..
I think that's a good idea actually...

osirisFIVE

Trophies
Website
www.imperfectgrandeur.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Senegal
I have less than 10 posts, I have no influence.

This sucks.

To add on to the 'karma' idea of the post starter:

Make 'karma' the 'main' value.
This meaning if I post 10 posts that are very meaningful and stuff, I'll have more forum value than a guy posting 100 posts that consist of meaningless and vague statements.

Requirement to give/take Karma: 60 Karma instead of 100 posts.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlxH_Th3-LI