Suggestions to help noob flood

Discussion in 'Site Discussions & Suggestions' started by jgu1994, Oct 15, 2007.

Oct 15, 2007

Suggestions to help noob flood by jgu1994 at 9:42 PM (2,268 Views / 0 Likes) 30 replies

1. jgu1994
    OP

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ok, so here are some ideas that I created(and took from some other guy) with the help of some people on IRC.

First. Make it so that there is a test when you sign up for gbatemp, asking questions like, Can the r4 play gba games? Do we host roms? etc. That way the noobs will be separated from the people who actually know the basics of flash cards. This way, we won't have anymore topics on if the r4 can play gba. Also, if people were to get the questions wrong, they would be told what they did wrong, allowing them to learn, and make it so that they do not make any more mistakes.

Second. Use the karma system like at the old r4ds.net forum. This way, if someone posts a useless post, we - their karma, but if they post a useful or helpful post, we + their karma. Not only that but the karma system should be put to good use like instead of 100 posts for the trading section, it would be x amount of karma, and to ensure that no one tries to cheat the system, make it so that only people with x amount of posts and/or karma would be allowed to raise and decrease.

Finishing statement. If these were added, though i'm just giving ideas, the retarded topics on cannibalism, or how many posts you have, would lessen. Also, there would be less posts consisting of, lol, i was gonna say that, i agree, [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG], etc.

Plz don't flame me saying that these ideas are gay, etc. Just point out what is wrong with them, or say why they wouldn't work. Thx

2. IainDS

Member IainDS GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    There's lots of flaming on these boards.

I think this a good idea.

3. chuckstudios

Member chuckstudios Putting the pro in procrastination

United States
    I actually kinda agree. Don't make the test too specific though, such as asking about the R4 playing GBA games. If I have a CycloDS Evo, do you think I give a shit if R4s can play GBA games?

4. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States
    Yes to generally, but I would probably have less karma than "swordsmyth", and he scammed a whole bunch of people - I've passed around passmes and other hardware, and bought stuff for people that can't buy it themselves.

5. theorgan

Member theorgan GBAtemp Regular

United States
    trolls do not care about karma. they will just make new accounts under facade emails and ip addresses. the separation also singles out people and makes them not feel wanted because it makes them feel they know nothing and can not add to these great hahahaha discussions on this board. bad idea.

6. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    Rather than a karma system on users, I'd rather see something like Digg's digg/bury system on comments. I've seen a lot of forums use it (or something similar) lately. It would allow users to 'bury' a post that doesn't belong in the topic its in or anyone on the forums if that's the case.

The way I see it with a user karma system, a user can gain negative karma and not really know why exactly, which may encourage them to leave the forums or provoke them to act like jerks (or in some cases, bigger jerks than they already are).

However, using a post 'karma' system, that same user might see that certain posts of theirs aren't accepted and may stop posting that type of posts, improving their posting habits hopefully.

7. IainDS

Member IainDS GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I for one would like to see this implemented.

8. jgu1994
    OP

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I agree with what your saying Samutz, but is there anyway to combine the two?
    I can't think of anything right now off the top of my head.

9. BoneMonkey

Banned BoneMonkey The cheese stash is a lie.

United States
    i say we start banning pl that will thin out the herd

10. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    SCDeV has a karma system and you have to provide a short summary of why you gave/removed karma, for example
    "Helped me" or "Said all SuperCards were crap without a reason". But I do agree that you should not be able to give/remove karma unless you have either over 100 posts OR a moderator has decided you are a nice, friendly and helpful member.

- Sam

11. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    I like'ed digg's thumbs up/down system. Before the upgrade, since now it's just a browser freezing pile of crap.
    Anyways, I like this idea of a +1/-1 per post system. Realistically though, gbatemp's server would never support this kind of system (if it was all done via ajax).

And the karma system sucksisn't as great compared to a thumbs up/down per post system.

edit- sinkhead, I remember you from scdev. Thou haven't been there in a while..

12. LSSR

Newcomer LSSR Member

United Kingdom
    i agree fully ^^ maybe increase the amount of posts by 100 to 200 lol it's easy to get 100 posts if im dedicated i could do that in a night (on forums that intresest me ie:Anime)

13. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    The karma thing has been brought up so many times, but the fact still remains that it's absolutely useless. Really, so someone has bad karma, this will stop them from being annoying how?

14. kellyan95

Banned kellyan95 Banned

United States

that only leads to mistakes, and creates pissed off people who will come back wanting to do harm

15. LSSR

Newcomer LSSR Member

United Kingdom
    maybe like haXors... oh noes!!!!!11 =(

16. phoood

Member phoood taking it to a whole new level.

United States
    Yes. DoS ftl.

17. ticko

Newcomer ticko Member

United States
    agreed with op

18. dice

Former Staff dice pansy-ass ex-staff member

United Kingdom
    I think that's a good idea actually...

19. osirisFIVE

Member osirisFIVE GBAtemp Fan

Singapore
    I have less than 10 posts, I have no influence.

This sucks.

To add on to the 'karma' idea of the post starter:

Make 'karma' the 'main' value.
    This meaning if I post 10 posts that are very meaningful and stuff, I'll have more forum value than a guy posting 100 posts that consist of meaningless and vague statements.

Requirement to give/take Karma: 60 Karma instead of 100 posts.

20. Sonicslasher

Member Sonicslasher In Law we trust.

United States
    im gonna say something....but...it make me sound nubish..............................................................
    whats karma?