Suggestions to help noob flood

jgu1994

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so here are some ideas that I created(and took from some other guy) with the help of some people on IRC.

First. Make it so that there is a test when you sign up for gbatemp, asking questions like, Can the r4 play gba games? Do we host roms? etc. That way the noobs will be separated from the people who actually know the basics of flash cards. This way, we won't have anymore topics on if the r4 can play gba. Also, if people were to get the questions wrong, they would be told what they did wrong, allowing them to learn, and make it so that they do not make any more mistakes.

Second. Use the karma system like at the old r4ds.net forum. This way, if someone posts a useless post, we - their karma, but if they post a useful or helpful post, we + their karma. Not only that but the karma system should be put to good use like instead of 100 posts for the trading section, it would be x amount of karma, and to ensure that no one tries to cheat the system, make it so that only people with x amount of posts and/or karma would be allowed to raise and decrease.

Finishing statement. If these were added, though i'm just giving ideas, the retarded topics on cannibalism, or how many posts you have, would lessen. Also, there would be less posts consisting of, lol, i was gonna say that, i agree,
shy.gif
cool.gif
blink.gif
frown.gif
smile.gif
, etc.

Plz don't flame me saying that these ideas are gay, etc. Just point out what is wrong with them, or say why they wouldn't work. Thx

dice

pansy-ass ex-staff member
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I have less than 10 posts, I have no influence.

This sucks.

To add on to the 'karma' idea of the post starter:

Make 'karma' the 'main' value.
This meaning if I post 10 posts that are very meaningful and stuff, I'll have more forum value than a guy posting 100 posts that consist of meaningless and vague statements.

Requirement to give/take Karma: 60 Karma instead of 100 posts.
everyone has an influence as long as it's good enough
biggrin.gif

osirisFIVE

Trophies
Website
www.imperfectgrandeur.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Senegal
That's likely to be the case because ppl would assume that I'd know more about the staff than someone like yourself. However I feel that the general response would be the same if either of us came up with the same suggestion.

Very true.

Although, those medals under your avatar look kinda cool.
bow.gif

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Post karma would be good. Members should be able to vote for or against posts (within certain restrictions; one vote per specific post, and no voting sprees against a single person, for example). And members with the most (or a certain number of, or the first dozen members in the ranking, I dunno) posts deemed "good" by consensus could get an "Exemplary Member Possum" statue by mthrnite
happy.gif

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
Personally, I think GBATemp could do with a mini "noob only" area where FAQ are posted. These should be locked threads with say, various links to flash cart brands and common problems with games etc. (you know the drill). If the noob can't find the answer to their usualy stupid questions, then maybe some users could be appointed to answer PM questions on a unique subject, eg. r4 or Wiikey compatability. I suppose I'm suggesting something like a complete wiki!

I also propose that after registering, the noob should have only access to this area for a short period; as we all know some people register just to get one rom working by asking stupid questions, and then we never hear from them again. The limitation should be lifted after a time or post limit, as determind by our wonderful moduration team (Sucking up here!) Hopefully this would keep our boards clean from useless junk if people consult these "guides" and what not, instead of flooding threads eg. see post titled "Bricked PAL Wii by brain academy" d'oh!! noobie!

This is just my small idea and undeed, no system is perfect so I'm sure you can all see some inherent flaws. But I'm confident this would at least, reduce noob congestion in most posts.

Anyway, i'm bullet-proof so let me know what you think

Peace

looneyboy784

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think a short jail term for noobs in their own board might be a good idea. A post threshold however might exclude people such as me who don't often have anything to post, but have been around for awhile and regularly read the forums.

*shoots megatron_lives with at Walther P38*

Somebody please catch that reference

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would like to see a system where if X amount of people report a certain post (or topic) then the topic is hidden until a mod can see if its truly spam. That way we can somewhat mod ourselves without having to wait for a mod to do it. Im not saying that the mods are never around cause we all have lives (or most of us
laugh.gif
) But i think it would take away alot of stress.

megatron_lives

Trophies
Website
www.enthalpynet.co.uk
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
looneyboy784Â Posted Today, 05:17 PM

*shoots megatron_lives with at Walther P38*

Somebody please catch that reference

Ouch!!! Got the reference though! shame now adays megatron can't be a gun anymore; but that's for another day and another thread.

I agree with not enforcing a post threshold, sometimes there's nothing to say. Also the idea of a noob jail sounds fantastic. I wonder when visiting days will be?

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
I doubt karma would work, maybe I don't have enough faith in people but forum menaces and trolls know exactly what they're doing. All I see is the people who bad karma rating is supposed to stop looking on it as some kind of trophy and racking up as much bad karma as they can get. UK kiddies: remember ASBO's ? I swear chavs would frame them on their walls if they knew how.

Sinkhead

yay p1ngpong.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I doubt karma would work, maybe I don't have enough faith in people but forum menaces and trolls know exactly what they're doing. All I see is the people who bad karma rating is supposed to stop looking on it as some kind of trophy and racking up as much bad karma as they can get. UK kiddies: remember ASBO's ? I swear chavs would frame them on their walls if they knew how.
ASBOs were a complete failure... Like you said they turned into trophies... But the idea of a 'n00b jail' sounds OK

- Sam

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: quite a tight bend on that 8pin->12pin adapter in my case, which is the worst case scenario, but...