Not open for further replies.

Xarsah16

GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
What if you aren't using a DSi?

That is a very good point, good sir.

While the 3DS isn't the greatest for DS emulation, for some people, it's all we have.

My DSi never gets use anymore because of broken shoulder buttons. It's annoying not to be able to powerslide in Mario Kart DS, and so the only thing I can play the game on well is my 3DS.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

While the 3DS isn't the greatest for DS emulation, for some people, it's all we have.

My DSi never gets use anymore because of broken shoulder buttons. It's annoying not to be able to powerslide in Mario Kart DS, and so the only thing I can play the game on well is my 3DS.

you should try to get into electronics. or see if anybody you know knows electronics. you could replace the broken shoulder button with a $2 part. its pretty easy actually.

i just received a slightly damaged DS Lite COMPLETELY FREE!, and i restored to almost mint condition, with only maybe $15 in parts.

a DS for $15, thats not bad.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
you should try to get into electronics. or see if anybody you know knows electronics. you could replace the broken shoulder button with a $2 part. its pretty easy actually.

i just received a slightly damaged DS Lite COMPLETELY FREE!, and i restored to almost mint condition, with only maybe $15 in parts.

a DS for $15, thats not bad.

Some of us aren't so daring either, and even with a tutorial, screw things up. My old DSlite died a long time ago. I tried to replace the housing on the system and somehow, some little tab on the power switch was no longer catching on the button itself. I broke my DSlite, and would have to spend even more money to get the parts and fix it, and risk breaking something else.

I'm not touching my DSi - I'll just use my 3DS until it breaks. Some people aren't born to fix and mod.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Obviously it didn't work, you need to run it through an emulator. I'm sorry it "shouldn't be so complicated," but it's really... not that complicated. Choose GBA, choose a game, that's it.

And also, if you have a 3DS, Supercard's your only option for playing GBA games unless you're an ambassador. (Unless something else came out... I haven't really been following things)

actually we were talking about EZ-Flash 3in1, not Emulation, 3in1 is a Slot-2 device with extra ram.

i am genuinely curious how you run GBA roms on a Supercard (real hardware, EZ3in1). all the other cart just supported it right out of the box. not supercard though.

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My old DSlite died a long time ago. I tried to replace the housing on the system

oh god im sorry i dident know.

DS Lite is fine if it works, but an absolute Bitch to take apart. im pretty sure we all destroyed a DS Lite at one point or another. thats what walmart returns are for.

that power switch......than damn power switch.

luckily the design flaws were fixed on the DSi's, it even has a separate board for the DPad assembly, even a child could do repairs on it now.

plus no more flacky Power switch or fragile ribboncable

images

Reactions: Xarsah16

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
oh god im sorry i dident know.

DS Lite is fine if it works, but an absolute Bitch to take apart. im pretty sure we all destroyed a DS Lite ant one point or another.

I think all DS systems are a bitch to take apart without the proper experience and/or someone skilled watching over us.

It sucks, but maybe one day after I get a paycheck and start my new job I will order one off DealExtreme or NDS-Card and pray that the housing fits properly and that it doesn't die in 3 weeks.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I tried taking my DSi apart to clean the triggers, and it wouldn't work properly after that, had to send it for proper repair.

And yeah if you're using a DS/Lite then a cheap cart like the Ak2i/R4iGold with a slot-2 is best... but that's not what most people are using anymore.

Reactions: Xarsah16

superspudz2000

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
why do you even bother posting. go get a hobby.

-another world

not really a valid criticism. you failed to express why you believe extended support is needed or of any practical value.

now if you had said "team cyclops wont release the source code to the public", then yes that is true. it would be nice if they released the source code so we could get updates.

people act like the company owes them something. were talking about a cheap piece of hardware used to play illegally pirated games, they don't owe us squat, and we can neither expect nor demand support just because you want to break the law and steal that new game that was just released yesterday.

Nintendo even gives a message with every firmware update "do not use modification device, they will be blocked", when you CHOOSE to access the eShop, and CHOOSE to update thee firmware, you are entering into a legally binding contract. if you dont agree to the terms, then cancel the update.

1. Your use of the Nintendo 3DS is subject to this Nintendo 3DS Code of Conduct, which prohibits all harmful, illegal or otherwise offensive conduct,
including, but not limited to the following:

Making, disseminating, sharing or playing unauthorized copies of games, music or images on the Nintendo 3DS System. This activity is
illegal!

Making new versions of existing Content or Products.

your Nintendo 3DS system and software are not designed for use with any unauthorized device or unauthorized software.important, after the Nintendo 3ds menu is updated, any existing or future unauthorized technical modification of the hardware or software of your 3ds system, or the use of an unauthorized device in connection with your system, will render the system permanently unplayable and result in removal of unauthorized content. failure to accept the update may render games unplayable.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
pfft "team cyclops" that made my day

Anyway - those messages Nintendo gives - legal scareware. It's quite funny you're falling for it - since you're bowing down to the CycloDS. Especially with the quotes you posted, which clearly target flash cart devices like the CycloDS.

Rydian made a thread on a similar topic about how Nintendo's legal wording over the years has grown increasingly frightening, but it's all mostly empty threats. http://gbatemp.net/threads/3ds-bricking-rumor.284730/

Granted, the thread talks about rumors of 3DS bricking by playing unauthorized games, but I believe it relevant. Maybe you should give it a read.

Also - I agree. The companies don't owe us squat. But if Supercard wants us to buy their DSTwo, they better damn well be supporting it. Support is of the utmost importance to 3DS users. As I have said before, some of us use our 3DS almost exclusively. We have to fear of cart blocking. When a team releases a fix, it's a huge sigh of relief to owners of the cart. As Acekard has died, because they are unwilling to come up with a revision, that to me was huge. Both my friend and I cannot use our old AK2i on the 3DS because of firmware blocking. I couldn't even use it in my Japanese 3DS because the firmware is too advanced, despite it still being on the same firmware as when I bought the system.

I know damn well all of this could be avoided by simply getting a DSLite, but I'm a little tight on funds at the moment. I also like to be able to play my flash cart and 3DS games in the same system, and that I clearly cannot do in a DSLite. For some, it is also a matter of convenience.

Just because something may not be an issue to you, don't forget it may be an issue to some of us.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Only advantage the Cyclo has is DSi Mode.
However, there are very few games that are DSi only so the DSTwo is obviously superior.
That + the DSTwo is supported.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I think the DSi was infamous for weak shoulder buttons. Before I traded mine in when I bought my 3DS, the shoulder buttons on mine broke after about a year. Fortunately the 3DS was a right around the corner at that point, so it didn't bother me too much. But I do think that Nintendo may have cut some corners or something on the DSi design, because I've seen many people myself included complain about broken shoulder buttons on the device.

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
I think the DSi was infamous for weak shoulder buttons. Before I traded mine in when I bought my 3DS, the shoulder buttons on mine broke after about a year. Fortunately the 3DS was a right around the corner at that point, so it didn't bother me too much. But I do think that Nintendo may have cut some corners or something on the DSi design, because I've seen many people myself included complain about broken shoulder buttons on the device.

Ick. I can call Nintendo and see how much they're willing to do for a checkup/repair, but I have a feeling it will be around $70 unless the price went up, and for that price, I could just by a DSL.

Dr Zoidberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with the OP if you are using a DSLite. I have both a CycloDS, not CycloDSi as well as a DSTwo. I feel in every single way, the Cyclo is better. Again, this is only if you are using a DSLite, which I am. I will use the DSTwo when I eventually get a 3DS XL.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Xarsah16

Trophies
XP
Country
I have to agree with the OP if you are using a DSLite. I have both a CycloDS, not CycloDSi as well as a DSTwo. I feel in every single way, the Cyclo is better. Again, this is only if you are using a DSLite, which I am. I will use the DSTwo when I eventually get a 3DS XL.

As Rydian pointed out earlier in another thread (I'll link it if I can find the post) - there are things you learn about the cart through using it. You must be unaware of many of the other features the DSTwo holds - because it really blows every cart out of the water - especially because it's still supported.

Fact of the matter is that compared to the 3DS, relatively speaking the DS Lite is basically almost ancient technology. 3DS is what matters, and 3DS is today's standards.

Since all carts (except obviously the upcoming Gateway) should work on a DSLite - it's really just a matter of personal preference. But to go out making a thread saying "this" is greater than "this" - it's moot by now. The difference between the DSTwo being better is that the DSTwo works on TODAY's hardware - the 3DS with the proper flashing. Cyclo doesn't. Most of these carts don't.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
DSi support isn't very good, lack of updates, very limited DSi homebrews, and the team ditched it shortly after release without releasing any of the source code. Also too high a price tag for a card with no support.

Dr Zoidberg

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As Rydian pointed out earlier in another thread (I'll link it if I can find the post) - there are things you learn about the cart through using it. You must be unaware of many of the other features the DSTwo holds - because it really blows every cart out of the water - especially because it's still supported.

Fact of the matter is that compared to the 3DS, relatively speaking the DS Lite is basically almost ancient technology. 3DS is what matters, and 3DS is today's standards.

Since all carts (except obviously the upcoming Gateway) should work on a DSLite - it's really just a matter of personal preference. But to go out making a thread saying "this" is greater than "this" - it's moot by now. The difference between the DSTwo being better is that the DSTwo works on TODAY's hardware - the 3DS with the proper flashing. Cyclo doesn't. Most of these carts don't.

Trust me, I know all features and functions of all carts available. I only use a DSLite because I haven't seen a game for 3DS to justify the purchase. I continually update all the carts I have, R4(wood), DSTT(RGF update), CycloDS and DSTwo. I dont want a flame war, because I am not saying the CycloDS is actually better than the DSTwo, I just highly prefer it for MOST of the same reasons as the OP. The DSTwo is nearly or completely future proof so it will be used once I take the plunge to 3DS land.

I will also argue that the fact the Cyclo Team is gone is no reason to stop using the cart. All games can be played after patching and I dont care about clean dumps. It is still feature rich

balsak40

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still rocking acekard but then again I'm on Lite. Still there is a ton of games to play... Hell still playing Picross 3d!!! lol Once I upgrade to 3ds then it will be Supercard or Gateway or any of its psedos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Eat a Snickers!
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Almond Joys got nuts!
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Almond Joys got nuts!