Hardware Start fresh install after new hardware? Or keep moving on?

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If/When you get new hardware upgrades, like in my case a HDD, do you just pop it in and keep on rolling with your current set? Or are you one that uninstalls all the junk including OS for a new fresh install? I recently had 345Gb of Steam games that I didn't feel like moving so I uninstalled it all.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In your specific case, it's perfectly fine to just copy the whole disk...

...yes, it's a great excuse to clean up if you want to, but you're not too keen on it while I don't need one (in fact I reinstall sometimes more than weekly, lol)

Reactions: JiveTheTurkey

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I recently had 345Gb of Steam games that I didn't feel like moving so I uninstalled it all.
steam games is easy to move, you just move the steam apps folder and when you fresh install steam you point out that folder and it verifies and uses that (you can restore it back to C if you use that in C)

i usually just go fresh.. i usually move everything out, including browser history saved games, the crap i have in my desktop
make an image of the HDD with macrium reflect in case i forget to move any special\leftover folder (i always forget to move some games that save the data in weird locations like appdata or programdata, saved my ass several times, although it wastes plenty of space.. but when i am confortable that i didn't forget to move anything i delete that old copy )
format, install the OS, and install the basic apps that i use like steam and firefox (restore the firefox profile\history. and point steam the location of the games)
then i try to only install stuff when i need it, i like to be minimalist

Last edited by migles,

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
steam games is easy to move, you just move the steam apps folder and when you fresh install steam you point out that folder and it verifies and uses that (you can restore it back to C if you use that in C)

i usually just go fresh.. i usually move everything out, including browser history saved games, the crap i have in my desktop
make an image of the HDD with macrium reflect in case i forget to move any special\leftover folder (i always forget to move some games that save the data in weird locations like appdata or programdata, saved my ass several times, although it wastes plenty of space.. but when i am confortable that i didn't forget to move anything i delete that old copy )
format, install the OS, and install the basic apps that i use like steam and firefox (restore the firefox profile\history. and point steam the location of the games)
then i try to only install stuff when i need it, i like to be minimalist
I'm going that route, just moving my virtual machine data, I had so many programs that it felt a bit overwhelming to continue after hours of PC cleaning.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

In your specific case, it's perfectly fine to just copy the whole disk...

...yes, it's a great excuse to clean up if you want to, but you're not too keen on it while I don't need one (in fact I reinstall sometimes more than weekly, lol)
Damn, I should have tried that first, I had over 90 free games of VR that didn't stick to my games list, they just unlisted as soon as I removed them. Took weeks to sift through all those games lol

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm going that route, just moving my virtual machine data, I had so many programs that it felt a bit overwhelming to continue after hours of PC cleaning.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Damn, I should have tried that first, I had over 90 free games of VR that didn't stick to my games list, they just unlisted as soon as I removed them. Took weeks to sift through all those games lol
heres some help
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231
you just have to grab the steam apps folder to another side, you can then configure steam to use that new drive for your games pretty easily or restore it back to C after you installed steam in your hdd
no need to reinstall any games or shit

PS: shutdown steam when moving and copying stuff arround to make the process issue-less

Last edited by migles,

JiveTheTurkey

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heres some help
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231
you just have to grab the steam apps folder to another side, you can then configure steam to use that new drive for your games pretty easily or restore it back to C after you installed steam in your hdd
no need to reinstall any games or shit

PS: shutdown steam when moving and copying stuff arround to make the process issue-less
Thanks, I will keep this in mind the next time I got steam games to xfer. :) Especially with a 100 gb game like BO3 :O

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.