Moving from 400 to 512gb SD - what am I missing?

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am not running Emunand, so that is not it. I moved from my old 400GB Fat32 SD to a new 512GB Fat32 SD (as always, formatted with guiformat, 32k cluster).

So, normally, all I would need to do is copy all of the files from the old to the new card, boot with the new card, and be set, right? Like I've done several times before.

Problem is, the moment the new card is in, no software starts. Error when starting, same you would get without sigpatches. Except they're on there, of course. When I swap back to the 400gb card, everything instantly works again. Their content is 100% synchronized.

I also tried placing a fresh copy of atmosphere and the sigpatches, to no avail.

What am I missing here? Should I just reformat and copy everything over again?

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a Samsung Evo Plus, which are said to be more reliable than the Sandisk Ultra I always used (and had fail for me two times) before.

It just might not like the card, if you tried formatting with guiformat, and replacing the files. You can try to reformat the card again with different tools like Minitool Partiiton wizard and format it as FAT32, 32kb cluster, primary partition if you are 100% sure you don't have a hidden parititon emunand. Did you do a h2testw test on the card?

Reactions: Blythe93

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am 200% sure I do not have a hidden partition emunand.
Atmosphere runs fine, so does homebrew.

What I try now is not formatting with guiformat, but with Hekate's partitioning tool, and copy everything over again not with the syncing software I used before (SyncBack), but through Windows File Explorer.

If that doesn't work, it probably just hates the card. I tried searching for Samsung Evo Plus here and found a few posts where these card's just wouldn't work in the Switch, here or here or here for example.

Reactions: Hayato213

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am 200% sure I do not have a hidden partition emunand.
Atmosphere runs fine, so does homebrew.

What I try now is not formatting with guiformat, but with Hekate's partitioning tool, and copy everything over again not with the syncing software I used before (SyncBack), but through Windows File Explorer.

If that doesn't work, it probably just hates the card. I tried searching for Samsung Evo Plus here and found a few posts where these card's just wouldn't work in the Switch, here or here or here for example.

Probably it is the card.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah, guess so as well. Pity. Well, at least my gf is probably gonna get a new phone so I will just give it to her then, I don't think I can return it now.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I have used multiple Sandisk cards in my Switch, but also had them fail two times... essentially same picture as now with the Samsung card, certain software not starting anymore out of the blue.
That is why I wanted to try Samsung now.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I have used multiple Sandisk cards in my Switch, but also had them fail two times... essentially same picture as now with the Samsung card, certain software not starting anymore out of the blue.
That is why I wanted to try Samsung now.

You should stick to one large card instead of multiple cards if you are using one unit.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No that wasn't what I meant, I meant I had a 256gb sandisk which threw read errors at some point, a 400gb then which also ended up like this and currently another 400, which still works.

Well reformatting and copying again to the Samsung also didn't help, same picture. Sucks, but at least I can probably find another use for that card.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No that wasn't what I meant, I meant I had a 256gb sandisk which threw read errors at some point, a 400gb then which also ended up like this and currently another 400, which still works.

Well reformatting and copying again to the Samsung also didn't help, same picture. Sucks, but at least I can probably find another use for that card.

I see.

wurstpistole

GBAtemp MVP
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Following up on this,
as it turns out, the software I always use for exact 1:1 mirrored backups (2BrightSparks SyncBackFree, perfect for my external HDD backups) sets an archive bit when backing up! That screws up everything for the Switch though. Had I just copied the files with the Windows File Explorer, I wouldn't have had the issue.
Same happens for Mac users.

That is why nothing worked. Hekate has a tool to fix archive bit, I ran that and now everything works fine.

zamastyle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Following up on this,
as it turns out, the software I always use for exact 1:1 mirrored backups (2BrightSparks SyncBackFree, perfect for my external HDD backups) sets an archive bit when backing up! That screws up everything for the Switch though. Had I just copied the files with the Windows File Explorer, I wouldn't have had the issue.
Same happens for Mac users.

That is why nothing worked. Hekate has a tool to fix archive bit, I ran that and now everything works fine.
Nice troubleshooting

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: anyone