Gaming Star Fox 64 3D Discussion

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
TehSkull said:
Okay so, noob question. What are the controls in this game? Please tell me Slide-Pad movement. I just played Command successfully for the first time (I sucked at it until now; not sure why), and the touch controls were annoying.
ohnoes.png

It has both slide and circlepad controls.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My synopsis:
Its the same great game from my childhood, with increase detail, less anti-aliasing (everything while very detailed is also very "hard", I'd say) The voiceacting is new (which is something I personally don't like. Playing it as a kid, I could recite every single radiocall, and now not only do they sound different, but inflections during speech are different, and Falco's "Hey Einstein, I'm on YOUR side!" is changed to "Hey Genius, I'm on... blah blah blah." Not too happy about hthat. )

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Starfox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'm a little biased. But, it's definitely a worthy upgrade to the original. The lava effect in Solar seem particularly well done, as the water effect in any level. Overall, the graphics are a lot crisper. The 3D seems a little subtle to me, but varies by level. That may be just me though. Controls take a little getting used to, but after getting ued to them I like them better then the N64 controls with one exception... tapping the touchscreen to get a message. You have to stop everything to tap the screen with the stylus, or smudge it by using your thumb, which, certainly isn't the best thing in a game like this. That again, might just be me though.

So, overall, I'm not "blown away" like I thought I would be, but in the end, it's worthy upgrade and well worth the buy.

EDIT: Just wanted to add, tried the gyro controls briefly. They "work" I guess, but really add nothing to the experience and you of course lose 3d...they actually seem more of a chore then anything. Since that like, 5 minutes I haven't bothered going back. Plus, the "3DS mode" cheapens the whole thing with continues and making it easier. Just stick with "N64 mode" if your at all serious about this game.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BrightNeko said:
My sister got the game today and I played it a good while. Its a fun game but not really worth the price of 40$ sadly, I say wait for the price to go down (hopefully some time early next year) to around 20-25$ at which point you may get you money's worth on the game since it looks amazing, is fun to play, can be replayed tons, and the music sounds a bit better in the 3DS version.

A complaint though comes from the voice acting, its all good and nice but they added a radio effect to it. I miss how clear the voice work was in the original, that said slippy is far less annoying, and fox's father... oh lord his new voice

D

Deleted_171835

ShadowSoldier said:
I have to disagree with this. If someone hasn't played the original, or remember it, this is totally worth the $40.00.
I haven't played the original and I still think it's a tad overpriced. The game is extremely short and with no online mode, it feels like a bit of a ripoff.

emmanu888

6 years and still going strong
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
brandonspikes said:
emmanu888 said:
did anyone notice that the game has the same wifi bug as ocarina of time 3d ?
wat

when you play ocarina of time 3d you get disconnected from the wifi and you have no internet connection during the time you play on the 3ds. well starfox has the same bug

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
I love playing the game over again, and appreciate the slight upgrade in graphics and sound. My main criticism is of the 3DS itself, I find myself playing this over for hours, and my hands cramps really bad lol. I also agree with the post above, and don't like having to tap the touch screen to receive messages as it interrupts the flow of the game. I also prefer the N64 control method.

ShadowSoldier

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
ShadowSoldier said:
I have to disagree with this. If someone hasn't played the original, or remember it, this is totally worth the $40.00.
I haven't played the original and I still think it's a tad overpriced. The game is extremely short and with no online mode, it feels like a bit of a ripoff.

Clearly you don't know what Star Fox is. You do realize that every star fox game (not that adventures crap), is short right? They're not meant to be taken as 20+ hour missions or anything.

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
SoulSnatcher said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Clearly you don't know what Star Fox is. You do realize that every star fox game (not that adventures crap), is short right? They're not meant to be taken as 20+ hour missions or anything.

+1 to that. It's meant to be a game you just have fun with and beat in an afternoon. Its the type of game you can beat several times and still enjoy immensely, and beat in all the different ways. On the original N64, I probably played it more then Zelda because I beat Zelda then well, never played it again. (And well, haven't bothered yet to get Zelda 3D, but I probably will eventually). Both are great games, but are different types of games.

I don't get what the big deal about no online is... the multiplayer wasn't ever a big part of the original. Yes, it's nicely enhanced in this version, but not buying the game just for that is silly. I'm all for waiting on games to go down in price (I for one just got ghost recon for 15$ new) but blaming it online is silly.

EDIT:

QUOTE(BrightNeko @ Sep 9 2011, 10:42 PM)
it looks amazing, is fun to play, can be replayed tons

What more can you ask out if a game then these 3 things?

BrightNeko

Popcorn ball
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hard (real) route
planet 1: save falco + fly through the hoops on the lake
planet 2: beat the boss before he gets on the ship
planet 3: nothing just beat it
Planet 4: shoot down the search lights
Planet 5: live! if you fail you can recover
Planet 6: Just win

If you fail planet 5 you get the land master level, on that if you shoot all the switches near the end of the stage you move back onto the hard route.

The asteroid field is tricky but you have to fly throw all the gate way things that make you spin @_@

That explained the gyro controls are good but would have been awesome if the game had a first person mode
frown.gif

-edit-
FREAKING NINJAS

Presto99

You slammin, bro?
Trophies
Website
https
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure cause I don't have the game yet, and haven't been bothered to try it myself, but I think if you go to starfox.com on your 3DS browser you can see which paths there are to take or something.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
A few questions to lucky owners:

1. Is it possible to play only using the slidepad & buttons ? I hate gyro controls & I don't like aiming with stylus on the touchscreen...

2. Is the game fun to play ? I don't care about voice acting or whether it's faithful to the original. Is the gameplay fun & controls done right ?

3. Early screenshots hinted that Starfox for 3DS will be fully antialiased (no jagged edges - see the picture below). Is that true ? Video trailers suggest they lied...

star_fox_64_3d_5.jpg

jpxdude

Trophies
Website
www.geekpower.co.uk
XP
Country
pachura said:
A few questions to lucky owners:

1. Is it possible to play only using the slidepad & buttons ? I hate gyro controls & I don't like aiming with stylus on the touchscreen...

2. Is the game fun to play ? I don't care about voice acting or whether it's faithful to the original. Is the gameplay fun & controls done right ?

3. Early screenshots hinted that Starfox for 3DS will be fully antialiased (no jagged edges - see the picture below). Is that true ? Video trailers suggest they lied...

star_fox_64_3d_5.jpg

1. Yes. You only ever use the touch screen to answer messages from the robot on the Great Fox.

2. The game is VERY fun, you can easily get lost in it for hours replaying the same levels over.

3. It definitely is nowhere near as crisp as that screenshot, but is detailed, especially in 3D when enemies approach from 'behind' the screen.

D

Deleted_171835

pachura said:
There is absolutely no anti-aliasing with or without the 3D feature. That's pretty much my only gripe with the visuals in this game.

iggloovortex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i went to the nintendo world launch party/tournament for the game yesterday and it was the shit. While raping my friends in battle mode on the store 3ds', the guys from Nintendo Week, that silly weekly thing on the Nintendo channel, came over and interviewed my friend and I, and that was pretty fucking cool. If you watch it then be sure to keep an eye out for Cody when they put up the episode

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    MrNoobNub @ MrNoobNub: why is everyone so horny