Hacking Staple / Paperclip

gotrice864

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you use these to do the quicksolder way without using a glob of pure solder?

EDIT Clear it up, solder paperclip/staple to joint on wiikey and pad on wii, using it instead of wire.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Just to clarify this thread is one of the silliest things I've seen all day - and I read youtube comments!

You could try it... but don't expect it to work though. It will be ridiculously hard bridging the connection and even if you managed to, a tiny knock to the Wii - even something like putting the case back on, could knock and unbridge the connection.

Buy a soldering iron, or pay up for someone to install it.

smile.gif

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Staples and paperclips work for connecting TPS reports together. I see no reason why it wouldn't be good for connecting a chip to your Wii's motherboard.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Staples and paperclips work for connecting TPS reports together. I see no reason why it wouldn't be good for connecting a chip to your Wii's motherboard.
rofl2.gif

And remember if you are working on 2 or more job codes in the same day to use the new cover sheet, otherwise use the regular ones.

And with everything you do at work, ask yourself, "Is this good for the company?"

zosh

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Papua New Guinea
Could you use these to do the quicksolder way without using a glob of pure solder?
Please excuse the silly answers, some people just don't know when to take a question seriously. Of course, just because staples and paperclips work with sheet paper doesn't make them work with electronics. Please don't try it, you will fail. Mounting a modchip takes at least a needle gun - try going with the pneumatic models, spring-loaded models are not very precise and you may end up bridging solder pads. The best way, however, is to drill holes from the back of the motherboard and use M1.6 or M2 sized screws to connect the respective solder points. Use truss or flat head screws for the low profile required. Remember to generously insulate your work, either with sanitary silicone, or, if you really want to be sure, using a piece of tar-bitumen roof sheeting. Good luck!

pewpz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You could, but the staple has adhesive residue and the paper clip lacks the flexibility of a wire, and the solder might not even stick. If you can't use regular wire, strip an old phone line or network cable and get the wire from there.

Sounds like you want to do a hybrid quicksolder/wire like this:

http://www.wii-ftw.com/page/wiikey.install.review

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Staples/paperclip are usually not made of copper or are cladded with non-copper material, so the solder won't really get into contact with and it'll hardly hold properly. Of course, if your staples/clips have a coppery colour, you can try - but try far away from the Wii first. It'll get scared to death if you fail to apply solder to the "wire" and look for a FW update on the internet to brick itself.

But I like the solution zosh proposed, but would like to modify it slightly: also use the pneumatic nail gun to attach your chip to the DVD board! That way it'll hold perfectly when drilling the holes. There you go, a perfect installation within minutes. Even better: you'll be able to hang your Wii on the wall like a picture frame! Perfect solution in case you don't have much space near the TV. Like I placed it in the left back corner of the aquarium, which is next to my TV. Problem just was finding a nail strong enough to replace the constantly popping fuse in the houses fuse box. And the dead fish are starting to smell.
biggrin.gif

@Wanque: I'm pretty sure he used the wrong brand of nail gun. Some really have quality issues...

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
While there a lot people trying to be funny in this thread, I will try not to. (I really hope that none of them actually was stupid enough to believe he really wanted to attach the chip with staples/paperclips alone.)

There is nothing wrong with the question really, bridging the gap between the "pads" on top of the wiikey PCB with the solder points on the drive PCB only with solder looks a bit of a challenge if you ask me. I've never installad a WiiKey and I never will, but if I would try a quicksolder with one then I would also like to have something to help making the connections.

For this purpose the leftover pins (anyone have better word for it?) when cutting resistors to the desired length works very well for situations like this.

tjas

The Gbatemp HRManager
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I taped my wiikey with scotch but that didn't work so I used superglue with ducktape! And it works!

bell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I taped my wiikey with scotch but that didn't work so I used superglue with ducktape! And it works!

OMG! You bastards! I knew you dutch people are wierd but making tape from ducks, that's really horrible.
wink.gif

(Or is it perhaps tape that you use on the ducks when you... Nevermind...)

punjabirudeboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Or you could just hold the wire/paperclip in place on the solder pad and just make it stay there using a dab from a hot glue gun. I used this as the hot glue also insulates the wire and connection and ensures that no points are bridged. It works perfectly!
biggrin.gif

gotrice864

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
one last question. I have this insulated brass color wire, would it work? It is small enough. I think it may be telephone wire

bliss-chris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
one last question. I have this insulated brass color wire, would it work? It is small enough. I think it may be telephone wire
You'll have to try whether it accepts the solder. You'll never know from looking at it, but telphone wire sounds good. Just try to solder two pieces of wire together and see wether it looks more like putting water on a cotton string
smile.gif
or water on a plastic string.
frown.gif
You know what I mean?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did he ask to see yo feet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Juan's second cousin obsessed with teeth
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you wake up with your belt un-buckled?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Let me lift you up in my chair
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Down there, teeth removal is putting you behind an angry donkey.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Teeth removal is tying the donkeys hair to the tooth and slapping it's ass
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The cleaning stuff they used was actually nice tasted like frosting
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That'd be 2million pesos, drink this tequila for your pain.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Also buy my art senior don't forget what happened with Germany
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    For reference, so everyone knows we are not racist, just like to pick on Juan, and he gives it back to us 'murdicans in return. I love me some latinos.
    +1
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    hello? anyone alive here?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm dead inside
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    at least you can chat :)
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    i dont want to sound silly, but im kind of lost, im new to this community and i have a lot of question and idk where to start
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    I watched baby yoda eat frog eggs on mandalorian last night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Morganna Welcome to the temp! what are your questions?
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    It is nice and loud and thunder and lightning stormy outside, love it
    +1
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Can't wait for the inevitable power outage where it's initially funny because I have half of my apartment on UPSes, then I realize I have literal minutes to start shutting down all of my servers.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You must be north of me, Im in Ohio.. It been storming on off all day here, coming from the north
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    just barely maybe, more so just dead east.
    I'm in NJ
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is weird looking at the radar, it is making a circle
  • Morganna @ Morganna:
    @BigOnYa well, starting with, idk which emulator should i use for switch, i got a gtx 1650, do you know which one would it better for my pc?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The switch emulators on pc rely on your CPU mostly, and they only use a single core, so GPU not as important as a good CPU. I don't use switch emulator, but many here do, and willing to help.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 do you want to chime in, don't you use yuzu or ryujinx? Which do you prefer?
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @K3Nv2 do you want to chime in, don't you use yuzu or ryujinx? Which do you prefer?